Question Gigabyte BIOS not recognizing NVME M.2 SSD

Jul 2, 2023
I've been trying to solve this issue for over an hour and it's driving me crazy. I just built my computer and everything runs fine, but when I went to go and install windows, my PC did not recognize any storage device I inserted. I spent such a long time trying to get my SSD to be recognize by Gigabyte BIOS, but there isn't anything online that helped me out. I even checked to see if my SSD is properly seated in the motherboard and it is. I know for sure that my SSD and motherboard are compatible and I really hope one of you can help me solve it quickly.
MOTHERBOARD:Gigabyte B550M DS3H
SSD: Teamgroup MP33

I've been trying to solve this issue for over an hour and it's driving me crazy. I just built my computer and everything runs fine, but when I went to go and install windows, my PC did not recognize any storage device I inserted. I spent such a long time trying to get my SSD to be recognize by Gigabyte BIOS, but there isn't anything online that helped me out. I even checked to see if my SSD is properly seated in the motherboard and it is. I know for sure that my SSD and motherboard are compatible and I really hope one of you can help me solve it quickly.
MOTHERBOARD:Gigabyte B550M DS3H
SSD: Teamgroup MP33
Which m.2 slot are you using? Are you using the M2A_CPU and not the M2B_SB slot?

Jul 2, 2023
Which m.2 slot are you using? Are you using the M2A_CPU and not the M2B_SB slot?
I'm using the top one, the M2A_CPU. My GPU is blocking the M2B_SB so I don't think I can use that one. But before I try such an invasive method, is there anything in the BIOS I could do to make the motherboard recognize the SSD? This is literally a new PC so maybe there might be a setting in the BIOS I need to do for the system to finally recognize it.

I'm using the top one, the M2A_CPU. My GPU is blocking the M2B_SB so I don't think I can use that one. But before I try such an invasive method, is there anything in the BIOS I could do to make the motherboard recognize the SSD? This is literally a new PC so maybe there might be a setting in the BIOS I need to do for the system to finally recognize it.
The 550 chipset you have sometimes causes bandwidth sharing problems between the video card slot and the m.2 slots. This has sometimes affected the M2B_SB slot which is why you probably do not want to use that. The M2A_CPU slot you are using should be OK. It would probably help if you have any other device which could allow to to check that the m.2 ssd is not defective. Or you could try booting from a usb stick containing a linux distro and see if that provides any clue as to why the m.2 is not seen by the windows installer.

Jul 2, 2023
The 550 chipset you have sometimes causes bandwidth sharing problems between the video card slot and the m.2 slots. This has sometimes affected the M2B_SB slot which is why you probably do not want to use that. The M2A_CPU slot you are using should be OK. It would probably help if you have any other device which could allow to to check that the m.2 ssd is not defective. Or you could try booting from a usb stick containing a linux distro and see if that provides any clue as to why the m.2 is not seen by the windows installer.
I heard that my SSD is dead on arrival, you think that's the most likely scenario? I've seen some reviews from the same SSD and apparently some of them give up after a few months and there were even a few that were dead on arrival. If this was a good SSD, shouldn't the BIOS recognize it immediately?

I heard that my SSD is dead on arrival, you think that's the most likely scenario? I've seen some reviews from the same SSD and apparently some of them give up after a few months and there were even a few that were dead on arrival. If this was a good SSD, shouldn't the BIOS recognize it immediately?
Since both the motherboard and ssd are new and untested, it is not possible to tell which is at fault. If you know someone who would lend you an ssd even for just a few minutes at least you could determine if the motherboard m.2 slot is working.

TRENDING THREADS