Gigabyte Boasts 7.032 GHz CPU Clock Record on Ivy Bridge

Status
Not open for further replies.

sirencall

Honorable
Mar 27, 2012
[citation][nom]darkenmoon97[/nom]Before you know it, this will be everyday speeds.[/citation]

I remember 5ghz was ground breaking speeds that needed liquid nitrogen to keep cool....lol its only gonna get crazier

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sirencall[/nom]I remember 5ghz was ground breaking speeds that needed liquid nitrogen to keep cool....lol its only gonna get crazier[/citation]
depends on when we make the switch from silicon to graphene or something else like it we keep hearing about.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I know it is cool and all but there is no practical use for this. I don't know why this stuff is in the news. They only test for a minute. Now if you can run programs for about 8 hours with that speed, that would be more interesting.

G

i bet this ivyfail still reached 80c with liquid nitrogen

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]darkenmoon97[/nom]Before you know it, this will be everyday speeds.[/citation]

Not unless there is a major change in semiconductor technology.

It been a decade since we've seen the first 3GHz processors and true 4GHz processors have only just arrived in the market.

Clock speeds are not the future. More cores and more efficient designs are the way forward.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Not unless there is a major change in semiconductor technology.It been a decade since we've seen the first 3GHz processors and true 4GHz processors have only just arrived in the market.Clock speeds are not the future. More cores and more efficient designs are the way forward.[/citation]and yet for a casual user we dont need that much thanks to slow development on software industry for common software. We have yet to see a software industry start include AI processing to assist user.

acerace

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2011

Lol, noob. This is a suicide overclock, for the world record, not for your pratical BS.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]I know it is cool and all but there is no practical use for this. I don't know why this stuff is in the news. They only test for a minute. Now if you can run programs for about 8 hours with that speed, that would be more interesting.[/citation]

GTFO from this site. This is EXACTLY the kind of news wanted here, not some "practical" bullshit about Apple or office apps.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]I know it is cool and all but there is no practical use for this. I don't know why this stuff is in the news. They only test for a minute. Now if you can run programs for about 8 hours with that speed, that would be more interesting.[/citation]

You know those racecar events, or NFL football games, or NBA basketball games? Useless if you're looking for practical usefulness, but they are enjoying to watch.

But if you're stubborn, I'd like for you to tell a large group of football fanatics that football is useless. Preferably if they were recently hit with the news that their favorite team got steamrolled.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Tomfreak[/nom]and yet for a casual user we dont need that much thanks to slow development on software industry for common software. We have yet to see a software industry start include AI processing to assist user.[/citation]

Sort of true.
Almost 30 years ago people didn't know what to do with ever increasing processing power and what they came up with was the graphical user interface.

Today we might either see more stuff like voice recognition and smart assistants (Siri) and/or new form factors. (tablets, project glass, etc.)

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
[citation][nom]victorious 3930k[/nom]2 days late. Broken by Andre Yang on a Maximus V Gene the 31st.http://hwbot.org/submission/228799 [...] k_7074_mhz[/citation]
And broken again by HiCookie today.
http://hwbot.org/submission/2289196_hicookie_cpu_frequency_core_i7_3770k_7089.33_mhz/

victorious 3930k

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2012
[citation][nom]willard[/nom]And broken again by HiCookie today.http://hwbot.org/submission/228919 [...] 89.33_mhz/[/citation]
He says he can reach 7.1 on 1C, so I;m witing for Andre's next submission.

Status
Not open for further replies.