Gigabyte Claim World's First Overclocking Mobo

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

KT_WASP

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
"and 7x 4-pin Smart Fan connectors for controlling system-wide temperatures."

My Asus Crosshair Formula IV has eight 4-pin smart fan connectors... take that Gigabyte!

hehehe

But, truthfully.. I only play with overclocking and do nothing extreme and I wouldnt know what this board has that would be considered "professional". So, I wont get to cute with my comments (don't want to get schooled by the more knowledgeable),lol

stingstang

Distinguished
May 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Ragnar-Kon[/nom]I'm skeptical.I guess only time will tell. Maybe Tom's can bake some cookies and send them to Gigabyte in exchange for a little more in-depth preview?[/citation]
I believe a better approach would be to send Jane over to giggle and twirl her hair. What man, or woman could resist divulging information to something like that?

Isn't the average overclocker done tweaking their system within a few days to a week of building it? Once done, you wouldn't need to OC again until you had swapped out certain pieces of hardware. So for me personally, those OC features would come in handy for the first few days (or week or two) of ownership, and then just collect dust.

I guess I'm saying or asking even, do the features of this motherboard truly fix a problem previously unsolvable, or does it simply provide another solution to the same problems? If I can solve all the same issues with less ease for a lot less money, well then, I couldn't warrant the extra cost.

If you've got the money for 3 or 4 high-end gfx and high-end cpu/ram/ssds then you can swing for this board. It'll look good in a forum sig hehe ;)

I settled all my OC issues within days and has come down to me choosing either game-stable or prime95 stable. I load BIOS and have a multiplier of 9 for gaming/general use and switch the multiplier to a 7 or 8 for important tasks like video/audio editing or something. I don't need anything fancy now that all the hard work's been done.

starryman

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2009
Sweet baby jesus... the very first OC board for OC fans? How about an over clocking board for guys who are overclockers that learned it from their uncle who is an overclocker and got his overclocking mastery from his neighbor who learned how to overclock from his gold fish? So we have an over clocking board for over clockers of over clockers who are really into over clocking.

K2N hater

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
How about the disk controller? Will it still boot when we crank the system bus high?

How about the NIC? Will it die in the process or just drop packets as usual? Does the wireless come with a working driver?

How about the sound? Is it that 1313123.2432 channel chip that sounds worse than a $30 sound card?

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
If I were a millionaire I'd go replace my ga-x58-ud5 with that one - no more having all the pwm fans connect from the last to the next or worry about the chipset cooling being obstructed by the graphics cards (at one point I was using an af120 on top of my radeons to cool the chipset)

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]Why build a top-end motherboard for a platform about to die this year?[/citation]
Maybe it's some sort of field excercise ? in any event, a 6 core cpu isn't going to be obsolete from a performance standpoint anytime soon.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS