Gigabyte EP45-UD3R reboot cycle and install problems

dhuyler

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I have a EP45-UD3R and I have the following problems

* reboot cycle at random times (power up for 4-5 seconds, turn off, power up again for 4-5 seconds, turn off) This doesn't always happen...
* When running memtest86 v3.5 with both sticks of ram (see hardware), the computer reboots after 5 seconds (45% into the first test, every time, exact same place). I've tried it with single sticks of my ram, and I have no problems after 10 minutes. I've tried exchanging locations, etc. nothing works.
* when installing vista with 2 drives on raid 1, vista eventually BSOD's while installing the OS. I've seen random errors just as PFN_LIST_CORRUPT and PAGE_FAULT_IN_NON_PAGED_AREA.

I've tried everything I can think of. Removed all the hardware, including the CPU (the cpu looks fine, no pins look out of place). Nothing seems to work.

In the BIOS configuration, I've not OC'd anything, just used to stock values, which matched the processor. except turn on the raid controller. (I tried both the Gigabyte raid controller, and the southbridge controller, to no luck)

Hardware

Processor: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 Ghz 1.35V
Fan: Stock CPU Fan
Memory: OCZ reaper 2x2gb DDR2 5x5x5x15 (I think the 15 is right)
Power Supplu: Antec 500 W. **
Graphics Card: Sapphire Radeon HD 4850
Hard Drives: 2 Western Digital Caviar Green 1TB Sata

** The power supply only has a 4 pin ATX power cord. I put it on the right most side of the bank of 8 and it does post, sometimes.

I've been struggling with this machine for days now. I've been looking for hours now on solutions, and I've seen lots of people talk about the EP45-UD3R and their problems. Their solutions run to 'Change the memory' or 'Power supply is wrong'.

Anyone have any clue on how to fix my problems?

Do I need to replace the memory?
Do I need to replace the power supply?
Do I need to flash the BIOS? (no idea which version I have right now)
or do I replace the gigabyte motherboard, and go for some other brand?

why is memtest86 dying in the same place every time?
why is Vista 64 bit exploding with random BSOD during install?

Please help!

bilbat

Splendid
I'm guessing we'll need to 'tune' the RAM settings a little bit to get both sticks working - your BSODs are likely memory problems, which MemTest will show first, and accurately... Could you give me the OCZ part number? I'll try to get to it this AM, as I must be down for a day or two for maintenance...

qhorque

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008

Are you saying you do not have the 24 pin power connector plugged in to the 24 pin power connector on the board nor do you have a full 8 pin power connector plugged into the 8 pin connector on the board? The power supply ONLY has a 4 pin power connector?

While the user manual says this:

"Use of a power supply providing a 2x4 12V power connector is recommended by the
CPU manufacturer when using an Intel Extreme Edition CPU (130W)."

Implying you may not need to use that if you are not using an Extreme CPU, which you aren't... I don't see how you can use the motherboard successfully if you ONLY have a 4 pin connector in the 8 pin connector on the motherboard.

Unless I am just misunderstanding you, it appears you need to get a power supply that has a full 20+4 pin power connector.

Without proper power connectors there's no way to successfully start up your computer regardless of RAM.

If I am just misunderstanding you and you DO have a proper power connector in the main power connector on the board, I'd try booting without anything in the 8 pin connector first.

dhuyler

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2009
I'll try that. That's one thing I've not yet done. I am going to purchase some Cosair or G.Skill ram tonight and see if that works also.