Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Just putting together my first build.
Gigabyte ga 78mt Mobo
AMD FX6300
EVGA 500w psu
3 apevia fans
Thermaltake versa case

Again this is my first and I have very little experience.

I've double checked the power connection on the mobo. My front panel connections work because there is an LED when power button is pressed. Also, the cpu cooling fan will spin a quarter spin then stop with no other signs of life after power button is pressed.

Really hoping for good news!! I don't have the funds to buy another brand new MB or psu.

Solution
PSU is faulty then mate - hands down IMO

You can try jumping the PSU just to be sure - remove all cables from the board though first!! Leave the molex fans connected

& make sure its switched off before you insert a paper clip or piece of cable in the pins!!!!!

http://www.seasonic.ru/tech-support/jump-start/
G

If fans are moving, that's a good sign. Check the timings of your ram, and what your motherboard supports. For my PC I had the same issue, my problem was that my motherboard only supported 1333 Mhz RAM, but the RAM I was using was 1600 Mhz

Carson0617

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
It will support 4 DDR3 1333+, I have two HyperX Fury 4gb 1600MHz sticks. Unfortunately yes, the additional 12v socket is plugged in. Is there anyway to send a picture?

Very tidy - I would have quick tested before doing that cable management though.

You only have a 4 pin plugged into the 12v power from what I can see??

Theres another 4 pin 12v plug on that PSU - you want that plugged in too mate so all 8 pins are filled.

Carson0617

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
http://postimg.org/image/55ebzw9dr/a165dca3/

Dang, they're all plugged in.. I thought for a sec I messed that on up.

And yes totally agree.. Terrible idea to install and manage all those damn cables before testing... My nievity was glaring when I started seeking solutions...

Your pins are wrong on front panel connector pins 1/2 top left are sleep led & drag a constant 5v if the system is off.proper power led is bottom right of the connector.

If this doesn't make a difference pull all pins off the connector & short pins 3 & 4 from top left with a flat head screwdriver - this takes the cabling or a faulty case power button out of the equation.

PSU is faulty then mate - hands down IMO

You can try jumping the PSU just to be sure - remove all cables from the board though first!! Leave the molex fans connected

& make sure its switched off before you insert a paper clip or piece of cable in the pins!!!!!

http://www.seasonic.ru/tech-support/jump-start/

Solution

Carson0617

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Just found out the solution!! I was headed down that same conclusion so I looked up a video on an Unboxing of that very psu when I noticed him talk about the molex cable having a 4 prong connector for a floppy drive. I had that plugged in the system_fan...? But now the cpu fan turns on, my psu fan turns on and my front case fan with LED turns on!!!! Now I need to figure out why my rear and top mounted case fan won't work!!!

Thanks for all your help!! If you have any trouble shoots for case fans while I got you here that would be awesome, if not thanks a ton!

^ wow - that is a novice mistake - be thankful the floppy connector is only 5v .case fans molex is molex , if they're connected ,the PSU is powered up & the fans don't run then it's fairly certain they're faulty - that or the 12v is faulty from the PSU.

TRENDING THREADS