Gigabyte ga 78mt MB New Build not powering up

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Carson0617

Reputable
Jan 20, 2016
Just putting together my first build.
Gigabyte ga 78mt Mobo
AMD FX6300
EVGA 500w psu
3 apevia fans
Thermaltake versa case

Again this is my first and I have very little experience.

I've double checked the power connection on the mobo. My front panel connections work because there is an LED when power button is pressed. Also, the cpu cooling fan will spin a quarter spin then stop with no other signs of life after power button is pressed.

Really hoping for good news!! I don't have the funds to buy another brand new MB or psu.

Solution
PSU is faulty then mate - hands down IMO

You can try jumping the PSU just to be sure - remove all cables from the board though first!! Leave the molex fans connected

& make sure its switched off before you insert a paper clip or piece of cable in the pins!!!!!

http://www.seasonic.ru/tech-support/jump-start/
Also check your ram speed with cpu-z - the board will run ram @1600 MHz with no problems but the majority of the time will need setting up manually in bios as it tends to default to 1333mhz.

I'm not sure in over 20 years of building pc's that I've ever know anyone to plug a floppy connector to a fan header - iinfact i didn't even ever notice that its a similar size until now - if you're going to make a novice mistake you've at least been original about it !! :D