Really stuck on this one!

My specs are as follows

i7 5820k socket LGA2011v3

gigabyte x99-ultra gaming

16gb (4gbx4) ddr4 corsair dominator platinum

gigabyte g1 gaming 1070

corsair h100i water cooler

evga supernova 850 G2 PSU

system has been running fine without issues until i switched it on the other day, came up with starting windows automatic repair and crashed at 0% so i restarted it. Crashed again so i restarted again and that leads me to where I am stuck now.

So the PC now has a few different behaviours. In every scenario I have no display, no bios, no beeps.

I turn the PC on now and the fans all kick in, motherboard lights up it stays on for around 5 seconds and switches off, it then comes back on and stays on. Lights and fans working but again no display.

I have tested my gpu in a friends PC and it works perfectly fine.

I have removed all the RAM and tried 1 chip in the #1 slot, the pc constantly restarts itself. As soon as I add a chip to slot #2 the PC comes on for around 5 seconds, reboots and then stays on again.

I have the mobo, cpu, cooler and gpu setup outside the case currently on a box to eliminate shorting.

As for the PSU I have used a PSU tester and all seems consistent and stable. I have reseated everything.

I have also tried to flash the bios but as you need to remove ram to do so, every time I try and boot with the usb in with no RAM I just get a constant reboot cycle.

Is my board dead? Really desperate to get this up and running as I use the PC for a lot of work from home too.

Any help would be hugely appreciated!!

Solution
That's really odd. XMP should have no bearing on this behavior but this all could be the result of a faulty BIOS. With the PC running (XMP enabled) you may try to go into the BIOS and set it to default settings (there is usually a virtual button somewhere in there to do that), then from Windows update the BIOS.

I nothing else, just keep it in XMP until any point where something else breaks, or you just decide it's time for a new setup.
Sep 2, 2018

Yeah tried that, not sure if its also worth mentioning that the LEDs across the motherboard all come on initially in white and then change to red. Not sure if this is any indication of an error.

Sep 2, 2018
We finally managed to Qflash the BIOS we got a BIOS screen and then rebooted once again. So we just used a jumper to clear the CMOS again and we got 1 beep and the recovering BIOS screen.

It filled up to 100%, rebooted and nothing again!!

Very frustrating.

Sep 2, 2018
Requested to join the gigabyte forums, so far no good. Attempted to flash the BIOS a further time and nothing different.
Strangely enough if I load RAM into the left bay of slots I get the no ram beep code, doesnt matter if I have just 1 or all 4 chips in, anything in the left bays gives me the no ram code. I have put all 4 chips in the right bay of slots and no beeps!

Sep 2, 2018
Update so far - I have just shut down, disconnected PSU from the wall, put the jumper on to clear CMOS. Powered back up and I now seem to be getting a beep and attempt to boot. It has now froze on windows preparing automatic repair.
Also I am now noticing a noise coming from my h100i that does not sound healthy, could this possibly be the cause of my problems here?
https://vocaroo.com/i/s1brHm6WC0aX

Sep 2, 2018
I don't have any fans connected, just coming from the pump.
I am now able to boot into bios if I clear the cmos with a jumper before turning the machine on. When the system attempts windows automatic repair it crashes, and is also crashing when i attempt to boot from a windows 10 USB.
I also got a blue screen with the error WHEA UNCORRECTABLE ERROR.

Still can't figure if this is a motherboard or cpu issue. I'm doubting it is the PSU as I used a tester and voltages were all stable and fine.

Sep 2, 2018

After leaving it for some time and then trying again, the noise from the pump isn't there but starts again after I leave it on for some time. I'm really struggling to diagnose this as I can get it to boot to BIOS if I use a jumper and clear CMOS between each shutdown. However if I try to boot from USB or my SSD it crashes every time. I'm hearing some say it sounds like a PSU problem and some saying my board is dead.

You already mentioned using a PSU tester. If you want to be more certain ask the friend whose PC you used to test the graphics card to let you test your board with his PSU. For what it's worth a PSU problem is possible but less likely in my opinion than a board issue.

Sep 2, 2018
Just wanted to post an update.

My friend came over and we tried his PSU and RAM just to eliminate everything else, no change.

We were sat at the BIOS screen for a while scratching our heads until my friend suggested "Oh lets just try switching XMP on to see if that does anything?"

Believe it or not the computer is now up and running as freakin normal! I have no clue as to why it won't run with XMP off. We did test it and it goes back to crashing during boot, or boot looping. Any idea on what may be at fault or the cause of this?

That's really odd. XMP should have no bearing on this behavior but this all could be the result of a faulty BIOS. With the PC running (XMP enabled) you may try to go into the BIOS and set it to default settings (there is usually a virtual button somewhere in there to do that), then from Windows update the BIOS.

I nothing else, just keep it in XMP until any point where something else breaks, or you just decide it's time for a new setup.

Solution