Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming Windforce Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
Ehh, if you keep waiting for the next best thing, you'll be waiting an eternity, because something newer and better is always just around the bend. Don't buy the next flagship Pascal card, wait for the Ti version. But don't buy that, wait for the next generation of Pascal because that'll be even more powerful and efficient, while being quieter. But don't buy that either, wait for the Ti.

I picked up a 980 Ti last month and I love it, and I won't need a new card for several years now. There's a lot to be said about waiting, but you gotta take the plunge eventually.

it all depends on timing, the new amd and nvidia cards are less than 6 months out, i'm almost willing ot bet money nvidia will pull another 780ti / 960 again.

unless you have a broken card, you should wait for the next gen, if you have a broke card, go mid range and sell it when the new cards come out for hopefully less than a 50$ loss, and get a mid to high end next gen card.

somebodyspecial

Honorable
Sep 20, 2012
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/gigabyte-gtx980ti-xtreme-gaming-windforce-review/15/

It seems you guys got a really bad card or something. All the games tested got much more gain here, and of course due to the great OC. That has to be just about the worst 980ti I've seen. Bad mem and bad GPU? Hmmpff.. They hit 8ghz and over 100mhz on both clocks for gpu (most hit these speeds from many brands, cards or near this). Odd your card got screwed on both ends, but it happens I guess.

wussupi83

Distinguished
Oct 29, 2009
http://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/zardon/gigabyte-gtx980ti-xtreme-gaming-windforce-review/15/

It seems you guys got a really bad card or something. All the games tested got much more gain here, and of course due to the great OC. That has to be just about the worst 980ti I've seen. Bad mem and bad GPU? Hmmpff.. They hit 8ghz and over 100mhz on both clocks for gpu (most hit these speeds from many brands, cards or near this). Odd your card got screwed on both ends, but it happens I guess.

If anything this seems to make Tom's review more relevant. Just because one review site hit the lottery doesn't mean we can all expect to hit the lottery and be disappointed later when we get a card like Toms.

Question to Toms: if you couldn't get a sample Fury X why couldn't you purchase one?

cynic77

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
What about Gigabyte's GTX 980 Ti Xtreme Gaming *Water*force? While the Guru3D boys reviewed it separately (http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/gigabyte_geforce_gtx_980_ti_extreme_gaming_waterforce_review,38.html), it would be nice to see the Windforce and Waterforce cards compared. Let's throw in a ZOTAC GeForce GTX 980 Ti AMP! Extreme edition card in there, too. It looks like quite a beast. Then add a fast 980 Ti cooled with a nice EKWB-based solution for good measure.

And:

I agree completely!

Non-Euclidean

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I was thinking of getting this card for my new system. While there are some doubts about Gigabyte products in some respects, for their top tier stuff, they do it properly. It was this over the EVGA 980 ti SC+ ACX 2.0 card, which is mid tier. Now I feel like slowing down, buying a lesser card and waiting for Pascal ....

Gurg

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2013
What I like about this review is how well the GTX970 SLI setup comes out and does not hurt from lack of Vram.

The moral of this article appears to be that if you already own a 970 or above and want to upgrade economically, then just buy a second one really cheap for XF/SLI. You will have an entry to 4k at medium, but not maxed out settings. At this point its still very questionable whether any single gpu card coming to market in 2016 will allow maxed 4k game play.

holyneo

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
I just bought the g1, to prepare my system for vr. Why wait, the good pascal cards I will be interested prolly won't be here till 2017. All I have heard is marketing and hype about the new cards coming sometime this year. Will they be better, I am sure they will, but we always see better versions well after the release of the reference.

Am I a little late on my new card, not really. Didn't need to upgrade till I got the spec on VR and

the price is more reasonable on a new card. Got a G1 980 ti for around 600, making my 7970 seem very outdated now, but I am sure enjoying gaming a lot better. I can prolly pass on next generation anyways as this card is a BEAST!!!

Hell we haven't even talked about the price of the new cards, what you gonna do if the price starts out at $799, would it still be worth the wait?

First I'd like to thank Kevin for bringing in a 970 SLI comparison in these benchmarks. Not often we 970 SLI owners get to see this. With that said, my next GPU solution will be going back to a single high end card.

More and more over the past several years I have seen reduced official multi-GPU support in games (SLI *or* Crossfire) out of the gate. I'm not sure if this is because developers have gotten lazy or because of poor console-to-PC ports (like that Arkham Knight disaster), or a combination of both. And even if an update comes later, often the SLI scaling is poor (one card used at 65%, the other at 35% for example).

cynic77

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014
BTW, the graphs that are supposed to show the 4K frame rates for Tomb Raider are actually a repeat of the first QHD slide for Tomb Raider and the first QHD slide for Far Cry 4!

The Strix isn't in the same category, the equivalent Asus card would be the Matrix

Lol at the R9 295x2 winning most of the benchmarks handily.

Why wouldn't you expect 2 top of the line GPUs to beat a 1 GPU ? Two 970 GPUs and two 780s beat it too.

As far as Pascal, remember nVidias strategy....with the 7xx and 9xx series we saw the 780 and 980 come out and then the Ti versions much later....

780 - 23rd May, 2013
780 Ti - 7th November, 2013

980 - 19th September, 2014
980 Ti - 1st June, 2015

so whatever the next line is called, lets call it the 10xx series for the purposes of this discussion.... we will see the 1070 which will be about as fast as today's 980 ... the 1080 will be in the replacement for the 980 Ti (not as the top tier card of course but, based upon past series, roughly equivalent performance) .... the 1080 Ti won't be out for a 6 - 9 months after the 1080 ... and the extreme cards won't be out for 3 - 6 months after that. So if Pascal drops in 6 months.... we won't see a Ti version for at least a year and the extreme performance version is at least 15 months off.

The thing is ... the article reported that the Extreme card here goes OCs 33% ... the Gigabyte G1 already, when overclocked, gives 31% more fps over reference. Due to nVidia's lock downs on voltage, both legal and physical, the extreme cards (Matrix, Classified, Lightning, Amp Extreme, Windforce Extreme) just aren't delivering what they used to with regard to increased fps over the cheaper ... and oft much cheaper ... "Gaming" versions. So, the question is ... is waiting and paying for these extreme cards worth the costs ? And also, due to them being released within say 6 months of the next series being released, will water block manufacturers invest in making WB's for them ? The lightning came out so late that EK decided no WB this time around.

Maybe you have never owned a dual gpu setup then? Sure it may bench well on the few tests in tom's suite, but there will be one or two games that you really want to enjoy, only to find out they either scale poorly with dual gpu, have stuttering or fps dips to lower lows than an adequate single card, late dual gpu support with patches or it never gets dual gpu support and the game only plays well with one gpu disabled

Owned many and built dozens more. Tom's Suite may be a little on the short side, but TPU uses 19 games in their test suite and typically, you will find 1 card with an issue with SLI among the group... AMD will usually have more, sometimes with even just 1 card) to the extent that when they do the summary the graphs will show the average, then average w/o game A, and average w/ games A & B. I would say that more than 80% of the builds we did thru the 7xx and 9xx series were SLI, either from the getgo or w/ MoBo and PSU selected so as to allow the upgrade 6-12 months down the line.

The games that don't scale well generally fall into 3 categories.

a) Profile not available on release date .... usually available within 1-2 weeks
b) Game already gets like 80 - 150 fps w/ 1 card
c) Game not or not anticipated to be a big seller and vendor didn't want to invest in T & E

You don't buy two 970s in SLI for your 1440p monitor to go from ....

Diablo III: Reaper of Souls goes from 157.0 to 220.8 (40.64% scaling)
WoW: Mists of Pandaria goes from 110.8 to 174.8 (57.76%)
COD Advanced Warfare* goes from 100.9 to 154.5 (53.12%)

You get SLI to make games playable at your chosen resolution

Tomb Raider goes from 29.8 to 58.7; scaling = 96.98%
Far Cry 3 goes from 35.6 to 68.8; scaling = 93.26%
Crysis 3 goes from 22.5 to 43.3; scaling = 92.44%
Bioshock Infinite goes from 76.7 to 143.9; scaling = 87.61%
Splinter Cell: Blacklist goes from 49.5 to 92.2; scaling = 86.26%
Battlefield 4 goes from 45.0 to 83.2; scaling =84.89%
Metro LL goes from 40.7 to 74.6; scaling =83.29%

Still nVidia has been working hard to make SLI a little less popular with their mid tier cards by adjusting the pricing structure so that two x60Tis or x70's aren't killing the x80 / x80 Ti performance wise while being significantly cheaper.

The 560 Ti heavily cut into the 580s ales as the 2 cards were $100 cheaper and 40% faster than the 580 .... then again, two 650 Ti Boosts were even cheaper and they still topped the 680 / 7970 Ghz. The 970 was the worst tho. The 970 is the most popular card hitting Steam servers, 1st time that something has topped an Intel IGP since they dropped. There's about five 970s in use for every 980 and the 980 Ti hasn't even broken into the top 85 as yet.

nVidia is battling itself here as they took most of their income in the last 18 months from 970s by a huge margin; while the 970 outsold all 23 R7 and R9 series AMD cards combined by a factor of > 2:1, can they produce a replacement and sell the new silicon for the close to the same price point and therefore not have folks feeling like pascal's performance bump isn't worth the price increase ? Hopefully AMD will focus on this price / performance niche and give nVidia a run for its money at 1440p. Given current performance, I don't see 4k builds as driving card sales this coming generation. Right now 4k accounts for just 0.07% of gamers.

-1920 x 1080 / 1200 is still the leader at 36.59%
-2560 x 1080 / 1440 / 1600 is surprisingly low still at 1.60%
-But what drops my jaw is that 1366 x 768 is the 2nd post popular at 26.47% ... and ... showed the largest growth over the past month.

It may in the future though. Remember how everyone though 2GB was enough? They'd all be saying, "Oh, 2GB is perfectly fine". Now 4GB is fine. Then 6GB will be fine, or 8GB. You can't argue the way tech moves.

Looking at that many people are saying it is not enough today it is a very good result. It is not really the tech it is the games!

Games are tech!

By definitions is hardware is tech and the software like games utilizes it.

There, bolded for you.

Cheers!

And in a couple of years I will be sporting a much better GPU than my current GTX970 to stay my level of tech!

Ahmedivx

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2009

My thoughts exactly, as I mentioned even the younger brother the "G1 Gaming" with a lesser cooler and overclocking capabilities achieves results way better than this.

Flying-Q

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2006
Output ports:

That is not a DVI-D as described in the article, it is DVI-I. The picture clearly shows the four analogue pins around the blade connector.

ykki

Honorable

Please sent me a ticket to the place where you can get two 980Ti's for $700(ish?).

I didn't say it would be cheap.

But if you are trying to game at 4k you already known that.

dstarr3

Distinguished

Not to mention everybody knows that the nVidia price premium gets you GPUs that:
A) don't glow red hot after two minutes of staring at the Windows desktop,
B) don't sound like a lawnmower in an echo chamber, and
C) don't devour your savings in electric costs every month.

You are so biased as well as misinformed.

ykki

Honorable

And now I shall ask you the name of the site from whose results you pulled those conclusions from.

Status
Not open for further replies.