Question Gigabyte GTX 1660 Ti - Random black screens

Aug 13, 2022
Recently updated from Windows 10 to Windows 11. I also reinstalled my GTX 1660 Ti's drivers through the "reinstall driver" option in GeForce Experience.

Ever since then, my display goes completely black when using very specific interfaces; however, the programs causing the issue are never the same.

First time I saw this issue was with PDF files: opening them with Adobe Reader would sometimes result in a black screen. Only way to resume working was to kill Adobe through the Task Manager. After changing some settings in Adobe Reader, it stopped showing black screens, but some parts (specifically images) were inside yellowed squares.

The issue randomly fixed itself and PDFs now always display properly, regardless of size and presence of images.

Recently the issue presented itself again while gaming: black screen when opening very specific option menus, but upon closing them, gameplay would resume normally. The audio was still playing, so it wasn't a freeze: inputs worked just fine.

Once again, the issue randomly fixed itself by restarting the game in question (Dying Light). Note that prior to restarting, those very same menus worked properly for several hours.

Black screens are the only issues with the graphics card: there are no artifacts whatsoever, and the temperatures are very good.

Is my GPU dying, or is there some sort of cable issue? I'm using an HDMI - DVI cable on an old BenQ GL2450.

System Configuration:
  • Operating System: Windows 11 (recently updated)
  • CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600, no overclock
  • CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports Duo (installed very recently)
  • GPU: GIGABYTE GTX 1660 Ti Mini ITX OC
  • Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX with E7B86AMS.H50 (11/07/2019) BIOS
  • RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3000 MHz (2x8), XMP enabled
  • PSU: Corsair VS650 (2018) 650 W
  • Monitor: BenQ GL2450
  • Case: Thermaltake V200 Tempered Glass (modded for proper airflow - front panel removed, mesh filter installed)
  • Fans:
    • 3x120mm Arctic P12 PWM PST CO intake front (installed very recently)
    • 1x120mm Thermaltake stock exhaust rear

Last edited:

InvalidError

Titan
I've had issues with random black screens on my GTX1050 caused by driver crashes that only happened while I also had my i5-11400's IGP enabled.

Check Windows' event viewer for driver crashes around the time of those black screens.

A flaky cable, output or input port causing loss of sync are possibilities that would explain black screens even when doing stuff that doesn't really use the GPU.

Aug 13, 2022
I've had issues with random black screens on my GTX1050 caused by driver crashes that only happened while I also had my i5-11400's IGP enabled.

Check Windows' event viewer for driver crashes around the time of those black screens.

A flaky cable, output or input port causing loss of sync are possibilities that would explain black screens even when doing stuff that doesn't really use the GPU.
I thought about it, and admittedly the cable is kinda flaky.

I was also told it might be a Windows-related issue, due to the fact that the black screens are extremely specific. Could that be the case?

InvalidError

Titan
I was also told it might be a Windows-related issue, due to the fact that the black screens are extremely specific. Could that be the case?
You will need to explain how "the programs causing the issue are never the same" is extremely specific.

Random programs having random issues without the drivers crashing might point toward a GPU issue such as a bad VRAM bit, in which case symptoms would depend on where the bad bit lands with a high probability of landing in a texture or render buffer where it has a high probability of being harmless with no obvious issue.

Aug 13, 2022
You will need to explain how "the programs causing the issue are never the same" is extremely specific.

Random programs having random issues without the drivers crashing might point toward a GPU issue such as a bad VRAM bit, in which case symptoms would depend on where the bad bit lands with a high probability of landing in a texture or render buffer where it has a high probability of being harmless with no obvious issue.
If that's the case, can VRAM chips be replaced in a repair shop or should the entire GPU be replaced?