Gigabyte Gtx 970 High Temp

dexterrible

Reputable
May 3, 2015
Hi guys, I recently bought a Gtx 970 g1 Gaming, I heard these cards can keep really cool while heavy loaded. But I noticed that temps' are quite high on mine it starts rising while gaming and usualy gets up to 75 82 C range at stock clocks. Strange thing is that evan when I overclock + 150 on core and 235 on memory I get same temps. so maybe the problem is my pc case ? wich is not a real gaming case. -> this is the case http://it.tinypic.com/r/6yirn5/8

I regulary clean my pc case from dust and I managed a good cable set up wich isn't blocking airflow but the case is pretty limited.
I just want some advice, because maybe is the card that is defected.
Hope someone can help, I dont think 78, 80 C is a good temp for a g1 but maybe im just wrong.

alpha27

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 1, 2014
over 80c and card gets throtteled back in speed, no need to worry about frying thanxs to NVidia and it far from 100c
is side of case on, if so heat will build up, remove panel
cause gb coolers dump heat into case
is ur room hot?

dexterrible

Reputable
May 3, 2015

Thanks for answering Alpha 27, I actualy tried to remove the panel as well, evan though I red it's not the ideal solution, but still temps are quite the same it reduced by 2,3 C max. About the room, dont think so it's really cool in here I like in Switzerland so no heat problems in my room quite cold where I live . :). I heard about throttling still it's annoying knowing some people cant get this card over 65 at max load and mine gets around 78 after 25 min of playing lol.

I noticed that once the temp gets high, it takes a while to get back to normal temp at idle (wich is around 30,33 C so that makes me think that maybe the case is not good for such gpu wich of course wasn't intended for so maybe since the GB throws much heat inside the case it takes much time to get that heat out ? Im not an expert that's why Im asking someone more experienced than me.

thanks btw!

alpha27

Distinguished
BANNED
Jan 1, 2014
yer I had a gb 780 gtx 3 fan model, and max temps where around 70c load I see ur point
maybe u could rma the card, if u aint happy and contact gb and ur retailer!
maybe theres a prob with heatsink compound connection

dexterrible

Reputable
May 3, 2015

Can be, I will try to take off the coolers and check if the thermal paste/pad is ok otherwise I'll change it myself but I doubt it's that, it's new.

Thermal pad/paste checked, everything fine and fresh i have no clue why it's so hot.