Gigabyte H61m-s1 rev3.0

eziosimon1995

Commendable
Sep 9, 2018
Does flashing a bioa of Gigabyte H61M-S1 rev 2.0 on same board rev 3.0 cause any problems as i think there will be a difference in drivers only...
If yes then i am thinking of flashing bios will it work

Solution
No you need the latest BIOS for your revision of the board. Putting the 3.0 BIOS on a 2.0 will likely brick it.

Those revisions represent hardware changes usually. Either a new revision of the chipset or one of the secondary chips like the audio chipset/USB host controllers, etc were updated.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
No you need the latest BIOS for your revision of the board. Putting the 3.0 BIOS on a 2.0 will likely brick it.

Those revisions represent hardware changes usually. Either a new revision of the chipset or one of the secondary chips like the audio chipset/USB host controllers, etc were updated.

Solution
I don't know of anyone who would recommend flashing the BIOS of a motherboard with one for a different revision. The Rev 3.0 uses different LAN hardware and allows the use of XMP profiles. It probably will give an error message if you try, but some motherboards have been tricked into using the wrong BIOS accidently. I wouldn't know why someone would do that on purpose.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Only reason I can think of for doing it on purpose is to increase compatibility with processors newer than it. There are some wizards out there who can delve into the microcode and figure things out. Like the recent hacking to get 8th gen quad cores working on 7th gen Z270 motherboards, though I don't know if they ever fleshed that out, since it is kind of pointless.