Gigabyte Motherboard not getting any power, even the LED light is off.

liam.dries

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
My computer will not start up at all, the components themselves won't even boot. I checked the innards of the system and found that the LED light on my motherboards power button, which has always been on when any power was being supplied, was off.

This happened during the 21st, and I have no idea what prompted it. I had been using the PC earlier that day with no problems, but later that night when I came back it was seemingly dead. It hasn't been acting strangely and has run perfectly fine for the last year and a half. I was working at home so I would have known if there were any power shortages or such.

The computer is seemingly dead. I can't find any component which has a trace of power or functionality. As I stated above, the motherboard power button has has a LED which is always lit up if power is connected to it, even if the computer is off. This is the first time I have ever seen it unlit while having the PSU plugged in and turned on. I made sure to remount the PSU connections to the motherboard as well as the CPU, but nothing changed. The only other thing I can think of that might have caused this is the dust in the case. I haven't been dusting my PC's innards as much as I should be and a decent amount of dust has accumulated inside he case, but it has been like this for a while and I have never had a problem with it. Could this be a issue? I don't see how it would render my computer essentially dead. I also have separate fans connected to the PSU which are not powered. Would this indicate that the PSU is dead, or would the fans need the motherboard to function?

Specs(will update once I get home)
Intel I7(Have to check speed)
Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 7
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2
GTX1080 MSI
3 16 Gigabyte Ram DDR3

-Sorry for lack of specific specs, I will update it when I get home

Things I have tried
1. Paperclip test for PSU (This was inconclusive. The paperclip was pretty big and I had a hard time putting it into the ground wire pin. I think I might have heard a click of some kind when I powered it up, but not sure. I will retest with PSU out when I get home to check the fan.)
2. Resetting PSU connections
3. Resetting CMOS values(Just put a screwdriver the the CMOS Jumper as instructed)

Jwpanz

Honorable
From reading your initial post, my first thought is that your PSU is dead. If nothing lights up or spins up then it is a definite power issue and is located somewhere between your power outlet and your PSU connections.

First, try plugging your PC into a different outlet. If that fails, invest in a new PSU and try it out. If that still fails then you may have a completely bricked system. While unlikely, a power surge can kill an entire PC if the PSU and breaker fail to trip before the surge makes its way into your more sensitive components.

As far as the dust issue is concerned it should not pose that large of a threat. Dust usually creates heat problems and rarely will it cause anything else besides that.

How long have you had that PSU? It’s a solid unit and I believe it’s a tier 1 PSU. Contact EVGA and ask about a replacement under a warranty.

liam.dries

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017
I've had the PSU for about a year now and it's been really good. I did try to switch it to another outlet but there was still no change. I might try to take it out of the case just to test it out of the case. Anything I can do to possibly start it up again if it's dead?

liam.dries

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017

liam.dries

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017

Just used the tester that came with the PSU and found out that it worked. I plugged it back in and the LED motherboard light started blinking, but it still won't start. It seems I have a whole other set of issues now.

Jwpanz

Honorable
Alright, so there is life in the PSU. That’s weird that it works out of nowhere now.

What LED indicators are lit up? Try re-seating your CPU and RAM (I know you already did it but it doesn’t hurt).

Also, visually look at your motherboard for any bulging capacitors or fried solder points especially near your 24 pin power connector and the VRM’s around your CPU.

liam.dries

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017

The only LED indicator that I have seen is the power button, which blinks on and off. I couldn't find any fried soldier points, bulged capacitors, or other signs of damage either. Other than the computer light blinking not much has changed. The PSU is able to power up the SATA drive as well when I attach the tester so it seems to be working well. I really hope my motherboard isn't fried, I don't think my ram or CPU would cause the computer to not start at all would it?

Jwpanz

Honorable
A problem with the CPU or RAM would still yield some sort of indication such as a problem LED being lit up to indicate the component causing the issue. A computer would still power up fully but stall out when the CPU/RAM causes a problem.

At this point (like I said in the beginning) something else is now the issue besides the PSU and is most likely the motherboard. The only thing you can try now is to pull your system out and try to breadboard it.

liam.dries

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017

The LED is suppose to be solid. I have never seen it flash before. I will make sure to read up on breadboarding today and try and isolate the issue.

liam.dries

Prominent
Oct 21, 2017

Guess I have to go to the local Microcenter and try to get a new one with my warranty. I hope everything else is ok. I was trying to reset the GTX1080 and used a screwdriver on the latch. I didn't stick it into the card and it only touched the outer casing, but would that hurt it? What about the motherboard breaking? could that short any other parts? Either way, thank you for all of your help. It is much appreciated.