News Gigabyte officially unveils premium ice-themed motherboard and GPU — XTREME Prestige Limited Edition lineup arrives

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
This is a waste of precious metals.
This is pretty smart. They're trying to create a new segment. I don't know if it will work. There are people who aren't particularly interested in things unless they're decked out in gold.

If there's rich guys out there who don't care about what computer they have, but get a chance to show off classy or heavy duty bling...
It's not a cheap poser motherboard either.

To enthusiasts this may be a waste of precious metals, but Gigabyte is trying to attract new customers. If this works they might even spin off a luxury brand.

I don't mind if rich guys get their jollies being richer than everyone else. That's a superhigh tier i don't shop in anyway. So if someone creates another even higher, more luxurious tier above it, i can just shrug.
We might get priced out of some features in the future but if one of them is over-overclocking motherboards, it's not a loss.

Notton

Prominent
Dec 29, 2023
I can understand Gold, but Titanium?

Titanium would have zero functionality on a mobo.
It's not as good at conducting heat as aluminum, copper, silver, or gold. It's main advantage is usage in structural elements, but a mobo doesn't need that.
IMO and AFAIK, it has no bling value unless it's a structural replacement for aluminum/steel, like a laptop shell, or car/bike frame.

Titanium is also not a precious metal. That would be something like Iridium or Platinum.

My guess is Apple used Titanium in their phone and sold it as a premium. And Gigabyte was like "yeah, I'm going to copy that and ride the bandwagon without fully understanding why it is a premium feature."

But, at the very least, I applaud Gigabyte for not going with a carbon fiber PCB.

watzupken

Reputable
Mar 16, 2020
Another generation, another new flagship series. Nothing new. Back in the days, I believe Gigabyte's Ultra Durable series was somewhere in the mid to mid lower tier, and now, its like the last second lowest end range. That mid range got replaced by the Gaming series, which is now replaced by a segmented Aorus series.

35below0

Notable
Jan 3, 2024
I can understand Gold, but Titanium?

Titanium would have zero functionality on a mobo.
It's not as good at conducting heat as aluminum, copper, silver, or gold. It's main advantage is usage in structural elements, but a mobo doesn't need that.
IMO and AFAIK, it has no bling value unless it's a structural replacement for aluminum/steel, like a laptop shell, or car/bike frame.

Titanium is also not a precious metal. That would be something like Iridium or Platinum.

My guess is Apple used Titanium in their phone and sold it as a premium. And Gigabyte was like "yeah, I'm going to copy that and ride the bandwagon without fully understanding why it is a premium feature."
I think you hit the nail on the head. It's the name, or the idea that sells. (Well, Gigabyte is trying to sell it)
Titanium sounds cool. Rule of cool invoked...
But, at the very least, I applaud Gigabyte for not going with a carbon fiber PCB.
...you just gave them their next idea.

Back in the days, I believe Gigabyte's Ultra Durable series was somewhere in the mid to mid lower tier, and now, its like the last second lowest end range. That mid range got replaced by the Gaming series, which is now replaced by a segmented Aorus series.
They didn't bump the UD series down. It's a base that they add various other features or combinations of features to. Maybe ARGB, maybe extra storage slots, VRM, memory OC support, and so on.

The z790 UD for example is a ... good motherboard. I have it. I saw no value in Gaming or Aorus models because the extras they offered were irrelevant to me. Probably wouldn't be for others.
I'm not even sure what the Gaming is supposed to be? And there are Eagle models as well.
Aside from the Aero G motherboard all Gigabyte motherboards are base level UDs or tiers of Aorus. Tiers that add price mostly without much value, in my opinion. But if there's a feature you really want, you need to buy that higher tier motherboard.

Part of the reason the z790 UD is good is the chipset itself. Lesser chipset UD models have cut features and maybe lesser quality. Which is annoying because the branding is the same, but the product is different.

It's a little bit of silly to even tout Ultra Durable as something special when ALL Gigabyte motherboards are UD by default. Except maybe the dirt cheapest ones.

10-12 years ago UD3H, UD4H and UD5H were differentiated by that number after UD. Higher number, more features. Marketing-wise, the Aorus name is better than random looking letters and numbers.
It doesn't help determine how suitable or how good a motherboard is. For that you have to look at the chipset and check the mobo specs.

Last edited: