Gigabyte P35X v3 Notebook Review: GTX 980M Gets Slim

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackmagnum

Honorable
May 14, 2012
Please rank the top gaming laptop line of the Taiwanese brands: Gigabyte, Asus, Acer and MSI. Which offer better durability, expandability, price to performance and bragging rights?

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
One of the main points about doing a thinner FF than say a ASUS G751JY, is thermals, in regards to whether GB can keep it in check. The G751JY is able to keep the palm rest <10C above ambient. What about the P35X v3?

Jul 28, 2013
Wile the P35x v3 may not cool components as well as the G751jy (the asus is over twice as thick) The palm rest is actually cooler than normal body temperature so it wont feel warm, the same cannot be said for the keyboard as it gets kinda toasty especially with that i7 and the 980m in that slim package. But it works, and works well enough. With arctic silver thermal compound and undervolting the cpu, temps stay in the mid to low 80's when in battlefield 4 on ultra. A cooling pad also helps when you want to game as well, even though its not needed when doing word or internet.

This thread is dedicated to this laptop and is actually full of awesome information even though the op decided to return it. If you are really interested in this small form factor laptop then I suggest you look at the p35w v3 cf4 as its the same chassis but with the 970m so it stays cooler and its cheaper and comes with an ssd wile giving great fps in almost every game on ultra
(information taken form the forum from various posts)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/gigabyte-p35x-v3-owners-lounge.764645/

gamebrigada

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Why are they releasing gaming laptops under their brand name when they have AORUS in a similar price range but WAY better design and specs. Why are they competing with themselves?

Damn_Rookie

Reputable
Feb 21, 2014

It's explained in the article:

Unlike fixed-frequency battery-saver mode, Nvidia Battery Boost modulates GPU frequency to provide a target frame rate at the lowest possible power consumption. Though this sounds like a great way to conserve battery power, the technology actually increases power consumption in situations where the old method failed to produce playable frame rates. We left the original 30 FPS target in place.
So when unplugged, the system modulates GPU usage to maintain a constant 30 FPS.

Steve Simons

Honorable
May 31, 2014
Where are the heat tests you said you were going test on page 1? I read that whole thing to see that you didn't even do that. A great laptop is useless as a melted brick.

slyu9213

Honorable
Nov 30, 2012

Well the AORUS line, aesthetically is fit more for gaming with it's sharp edges like the Asus ROG laptops. The P3XX line of laptops is a bit more subtle and plain that doesn't feel designed for people who want to brand themselves as gamers everywhere they go. Also AORUS focuses on SLI setups by putting two 2nd place/class GPUs to provide performance beyond the best single GPU for each generation. Even now there are people who have no clue AORUS is part of Gigabyte. Additionally I think the quality of the P34/35 are better than the AORUS laptops (case/enclosure). One can go with AORUS with their dual GPU setups (some games won't scale as well with two GPUs) and others can go with one single GPU that will cause less heat and need less room.

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
Any information on the panel? Is it TN, IPS? How's the viewing angles? Is it responsive? Any backlight bleed? Would really appreciate it if you added this type of information to future notebook reviews.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sorry, there was a problem with the heat test: I couldn't get it hot enough to maintain full fan speed. Part of that is environmental, since the lab is only 18 °C.

Thanks, we're looking for a notebook reviewer to focus primarily on things like the panel, and our equipment for testing the panel is at another lab. Basically the color was cool, the blacks weren't black enough, and I believe I saw a hint of bleed at the top right edge of the panel. Since I didn't have the meter I put that comment in the cons as a qualitative assessment. The view angles were good: I did most of my testing with the panel facing away from me at a 50° angle.

eojhet

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2009
I own this configuration and absolutely love it. I can play Max Payne 3 at top quality set to the full 3K resolution and not fall below 60 fps. Yes. Its not a new game but its still beautiful. At very high resolutions I don't mind turning off AA since jaggies really aren't very obviously on a denser display. If you've got the dough get the good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.