Gigabyte, Patriot, Zalman, Holiday Contests!

Page 7 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JMMD

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2010
One of the most memorable Christmas's for me was the year that I found the hiding place my parents used to hide our gifts.

Once I discovered the hiding spot, I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what each gift was. That only contained my curiosity for a few days.

The next step was to carefully peel back the tape on the wrapping paper so I could see what the gift was, even if I could just make out a few letters.

After a while I got the crazy idea to open some of the presents and play with them while my parents were out. I started with the video games. I carefully opened each package, careful not to rip the paper and proceeded to play the games while I was home alone. At the end of each gaming session, I had to wrap the game back up as if it had never been opened.

This went on for about a week before Christmas morning. I don't think I ever told my parents about it but it's one memory I will never forget.

Ciuy

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
My Story:

It was Christmass a long time ago, i got a PC with a Cyrix CPU with some games on it pre-installed (Diablo, Warcraft II)....and in no time it was Christmass again.

Thats how i got hooked in the PC bussiness (time fast forward) .

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
The 80's were bless with the arrival of an affordable IBM clone. Raised in a family where the "wicked" step father decided that if entertainment was expensive, there will be, no entertainment at all...

Kings Quest led to Kings Quest 2, 3, 4, etc, etc.. I was hooked! It was a more potent drug than sugar was to kids, these where the 80's, where 24-48 hour non-stop gaming that would make kids today commit suicide, had a place in the world. The world of CGA, 80286 gaming.

Since has gaming taken a life of it's own, but my passion died even before Doom & Duke Nukem, which I could play for hours, but not days non-stop. Slowly but surely, this would continue, until I eventually could game no more. This gamer had transformed into one who could not game, even though his toys are better suited than ever before. At least the death of gaming, wasn't the death of PCs...

The End

thorkle

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2010
Christmas when I was five years old, our first cat Fido, yes his name is Fido, started playing with the tinsel on our Christmas tree. Next thing you know, there are broken Christmas ornaments everywhere, and our Christmas tree is getting down and dirty with our hardwood flooring. After that Christmas we never got tinsel again, and we made sure to get a much larger tree stand :D

hznehalem

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
In my family will never forget that Christmas Eve, 1996.
I was 16 then, and my brother was younger than me. Whole family was sitting around a table that night was quite cold, everybody waiting for a special Christmas Eve dinner. XD

The table where we were was a typical andalusian "mesa-camilla". A round table, with The table where we were was a round table covered by a flap which normally takes under the table, place a thin charcoal brazier. . When my mother tried to light with (96º alcohol) the brazier at home broke more fun and dangerous Christmas Eve we've ever had. XDDD

Like a molotov cocktail, the tip of the bottle of alcohol with an innocent little flame lit. My mother screamed scared to see the bottle of alcohol on fire, and he reacted by throwing it into a corner. Suddenly a huge fireball filled the corner of the room. Hahaha Everyone sitting at the table ran. Except my grandmother. (the hero)

All we try to keep th curtains and furniture away from the flames. My mother pulled the coats over a flame to try to suppress it, but they were nylon jackets, crumpled and disappeared in the flames. JAJAJAJA

My brothers rescued the hamsters that were near the fire. One of the beds a bit burned hamsters. : S

My grandmother could only walk using a walker. He rose from his chair, went to the kitchen and brought a big pot full of water. Without the strength to hold the pot and the walker, came to the salon. The rest was still trying to smother the ball of fire hitting her with things. My grandmother came by the fire and with great effort, threw the water on the flames almost completely smothering.

JAJAJAJAA was a fairly lively night.

In the end the only thing that burned were the coats (The jackets were converted into red and blue ball of burning plastic)., my right sock (I'm still shocked to see my foot on fire JAJAJA) and one of the beds of the very large hamster cage.

Most striking is thought that the Christmas Eve 1996 our 78 years Granmother saved our lives.

That's all :D

hznehalem

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Never forget my grandmother. :)

I know everyone will be thinking it would have been easier to put out the flame blowing, when only the spout of the alcohol pot was burning. JAJAJAJA
true. But you have to be in a situation to know how you would react.

my name on Facebook is my real name not my nickname I forgot to say it.

x3style

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2006
I've had a bad Christmas sitting alone at home, no tree, no presents ... pff maybe next yer it's gonna be better.There is no story to tell. :(

shovenose

Distinguished
well, i dont really have any good stories...except the year (i was like 8 or sometihng, maybe 10, jeez i dont really remember...anyway, i caught my mom being santa, it was hilarious, i got up because there were noises in the living room, and im headed that way and my mom rounds the corner and crashes into me - i was like oh hi mom and shes like," um, um, um...i was making sure santa gave you good stuff, from then on i no longer believed in santa claus

ciksas

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2010
The short story myth not be funny or embarrassing but it left a huge influence on me. 11-12 years ago around Christmas time. That day i didn’t went to school(first or second grade) because I was sick and was having breakfast, eggs to be precise. After breakfast I drank a lot of milk and went to sit on the sofa with my atlas. I loved watching the world and its shape, learning all the different names of the countries, cities. But that day, because of my illness I puked on my atlas and it was ruined. I remember that I cried that day. The following Christmas I got a globe so I couldn’t wreck it. What the point of the story? I loved(still do) my globe so much I know all the names of the 194/195(I don’t count Kosovo in) countries and their capitals.

orodreth

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2010
[citation][nom]Anonymous[/nom]When I was a young lad, I had acquired a bundle of fireworks around the fourth of july. To hide them temporarily in a place that would not be found by parents or siblings, I put them behind the logs in the fireplace. Remember this was the middle of summer and nobody was going to be using or even looking at the fireplace in the summer. Children have flawless logic. Yet, like most children, distractions mounted and I forgot the fireworks were there.As the holidays neared and the weather cooled (we lived in Arizona), yes, you guessed it... Christmas morning our parents lit the first log burning fire of the winter. Normally, the fire crackles and wood pops... but this time, after about 20 minutes, well... I'm fortunate we had a screen on front of the fireplace. At the time, it was horrific, but in retrospect hilarious. Yes, I did admit to it and yes I was punished. HAHAHA[/citation]
I posted this one and tried to register, but got "username exists" and "emailexists" errors, perhaps because the temporary account did exist, though it wouldn't let me fully register. I let the temp expire and registered today in full, and it worked fine.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
My favorite memory doesn't involve anyone in my family besides myself and a couple of strangers. While living in Frankfort, KY it was routine to travel 20 miles or so into Lexington to shop at a store named Meyers. Much like a Wal-Mart but still very different. One of their features there was a serve-yourself salad bar that you purchase by weight and you can pay for and eat it right there in a small cafe area.

While standing in line to pay there was a younger couple in front of me. I guess they were about 23 years old but I really have no idea to be honest. You could tell they were excited to be together... Christmas was coming (it was the last week before Christmas)...They were holding hands on one hand and each holding food in their others. They didn't even have coats for the cold weather but they had smiles for each other.

The line progressed and it was their turn to ring up and pay... I don't remember what their bill was but I remember they hand a hand-full of change and it wasn't enough. What they had enough for was the smaller of the two items (salads) so they asked if they could just buy that one and the cashier said yes. You could tell they were very embarrassed and disappointed at the same time. But they purchased the salad, got their receipt and went on to set down toward a back corner. I presume away from the eyes of those who had just seen what had happened.

I was next to purchase and as I stepped up. The cashier picked up the salad they could not afford and asked a co-worker to "throw this away." It was serve-yourself, the food had been "served" and was now considered disposable. They could have easily have just given it to the couple but instead it was now just garbage and was going to go to waste.

I said "Excuse me... I'll take that." She looked at me quite baffled and kind of just stood there. I repeated, "Seriously, I'll take it."

It rang up for a few dollars. I walked directly to the couple who apparently were again lost in each other and noticed nothing of me purchasing "their" food. I sat the salad on their table and quietly said (they had gotten enough attention as it was) "Merry Christmas."

Well they gracious look they gave me was astounding. Almost disbelief. Huge smiles! They both thanked me over and over. As I sat at my table eating...anytime I looked in their direction one or both of them would say "thank you" again or "Merry Christmas." They weren't shy about letting me know how thankful they were. I probably received enough wishes of a Merry Christmas from them to ensure very Merry Christmas's for the rest of my life. I, of course, never saw them again but will never forget their gratitude.

Cache

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
My father had gotten another computer for their home for my mother--and he was tired of sharing 1 PC in the house(I have long since moved out). He suggested that I do a few mods to brighten it up because she found it useful but highly unattractive and they would be on vacation visiting my mothers' family in Florida for Christmas that year.

So I cut in some holes for a side window, opened up the fan to be much more interesting to look at on the front, and added some cold cathode tubes to enhance the color. The inside was painted a very nice shade of rose-colored pink (my mom's favorite color), and I sleeved the wires and re-routed them so the interior looked nice.

When they came home from vacation, my mother called me. Apparently I had modded *his* computer, and he's not terribly fond of pink. Whoops.

kentlowt

Distinguished
Jan 19, 2006
My fondest Christmas as a kid was the year I got a battery powered helecopter where the wings actually rotated and lights flashed(1963ish it was a big deal back then). In todays world this would have never been built. The blades would have been a choking hazard as well as the wheels but, I played with that thing for hours flying it around the house.

nprochuck

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
We have been to the U.S. in our holiday. When we were driving in our car the police stoped us because we were 20 Miles per Hour to fast! My father, he can't speak very well English, opened the window. The officer shouted, "Hands on the wheel", but my father didn't know what to do. So he opended his door and stood up. The officer with his gun in his hand "Hands on the car roof, quick". Then I shouted my father what was to do and now it was clear. The policeoffer asked my father to give him our passport, but we haven't understood him so we spoke and he shouted us again. After a few minutes he had our passport, shook his head and murmured "Austrians". He let us go because he didn't want to explain us that we had to pay a penalty. It was very funny.

rrplay

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
Thanks for this contest for allowing me to recall some Christmas memories.

These memories are of my father Joe that passed away in Aug 1997.

In previous years my dad built beautiful dollhouses that he gave to his grandchildren at Christmas.
The look and expression on there faces, with wide-eyed breathless amazement
was..similar to mine when my parents brought a dog home for us kids at Christmas.

Anyhow the special memory that I wanted to share was
the last Christmas we had in the house I grew up in Chicago.

It was actually the Christmas of '98 & after a lot of work getting the house ready for sale the following spring.

My mother decided to have Christmas.
They all commented on how nice the house looked [paint and wallpaper can do wonders]
In the previous years we celebrated the holidays at one of my sisters homes that were better suited ...and they invited.
As you can see in the pic the holiday table is in the kitchen with that wonderful view of the neighbors brick wall !
http://img689.imageshack.us/img689/3618/00036ed.png
see ... told you that paint and wallpaper can do wonders ...but has little to do with seating arrangements

you can see my moms head peaking in over some seated guests
and the stove is to the left,with the door closed ...fridge door closed as well
and me ? I am attempting to take this photo in the doorway.

You can imagine the reaching,& plate-passing frenzy that ensued from the counters and stove behind our backs. My nephew spilled his wine all over my plate.
.....wonder how that could have happened?
the foods a-swimming and we still recall that one.

Later in the evening we watched some old family 8mm films that had not been seen in quite some time. Imagine the film breaking and my nephews remarking about threading the projector to view a just few minutes on the bed sheet.
One of the stars was "Bucky' the family dog.
My nephews,nieces as well as their spouses got to see us as toddlers. Now that was pretty special.

We also got to see the genuine magic of a father's love for his children.

I will never forget that special magic I felt when I saw my little hand pull his nose and touch his face.

Thank You and Merry Christmas

rrplay

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2010
[citation][nom]rrplay[/nom]Thanks for this contest for allowing me to recall some Christmas memories.These memories are of my father Joe that passed away in Aug 1997.In previous years my dad built beautiful dollhouses that he gave to his grandchildren at Christmas.The look and expression on there faces, with wide-eyed breathless amazementwas..similar to mine when my parents brought a dog home for us kids at Christmas.Anyhow the special memory that I wanted to share wasthe last Christmas we had in the house I grew up in Chicago.It was actually the Christmas of '98 & after a lot of work getting the house ready for sale the following spring.My mother decided to have Christmas.They all commented on how nice the house looked [paint and wallpaper can do wonders]In the previous years we celebrated the holidays at one of my sisters homes that were better suited ...and they invited.As you can see in the pic the holiday table is in the kitchen with that wonderful view of the neighbors brick wall][/url] !see ... told you that paint and wallpaper can do wonders ...but has little to do with seating arrangementsyou can see my moms head peaking in over some seated guestsand the stove is to the left,with the door closed ...fridge door closed as welland me ? I am attempting to take this photo in the doorway.You can imagine the reaching,& plate-passing frenzy that ensued from the counters and stove behind our backs. My nephew spilled his wine all over my plate......wonder how that could have happened?the foods a-swimming and we still recall that one.Later in the evening we watched some old family 8mm films that had not been seen in quite some time. Imagine the film breaking and my nephews remarking about threading the projector to view a just few minutes on the bed sheet.One of the stars was "Bucky' the family dog.My nephews,nieces as well as their spouses got to see us as toddlers. Now that was pretty special.We also got to see the genuine magic of a father's love for his children.I will never forget that special magic I felt when I saw my little hand pull his nose and touch his face.Thank You and Merry Christmas[/citation]

sorrento

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2009
Well my history is kinda geeky xD

I'm from Colombia, here, we open our presents at midnight of december 25, here holydays are kinda crazy.. (full music, liters and liters of aguardiente, tons of food). We're at the christmas tree opening our presents... but everybody gets shocked when my wife give me my present... a "moving box" to be honest she was concerned to... so i open it and voila! our cat somehow was there xD the ironic thing was that she gift me a laser mouse xD and a lantern gadget. While she was packing my present, out cat get in to the box and she sealed it without know :p. It was very funny, but remembet not to pack mouse and gatgets in large boxes :p

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
My story is that each and every christmas, i thank god for my sanity in not joining facebook.

If tom's can stop alienating non-facebook users, that'd be my christmas wish...

eloric

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2010
I wouldn't call Gigabyte, Patriot and Zalman the three wise men, but they were all gifts that I gave this year at Christmas. Back in February I decided, on a whim no less, to build my first computer. It was a fantastic experience, and I became hooked. About two weeks later, I found Tom's Hardware – and had yet another epiphany. Since then, I have studied and learned, become a regular at Tom’s and just received my Homebrew badge.
This Christmas, I shopped all the sales on Black Friday (well, Black November, really), and ended up building machines for two of my roommates. The builds included a Gigabyte motherboard, Patriot memory and a Zalman case.

canada2005

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
Every Christmas I have a stock outside my room at the door filled with the usual stocking stuffers. This year I open up my door to check through the stocking to get a new pair of socks to put on before I go and make a cup of coffee. But this year there is a special new stocking stuffer that has covered the stocking. My 1 year old dog decided he would leave a pile of puke from the Christmas eve the night before from all my family members feeding him snacks. Happy New Year, that was my story.

ispasion22

Distinguished
Dec 30, 2010
I think I was 5-6 years. In front of the house had two tall trees that were full of snow in winter, and when the wind blew it was a roar. My father was equipped as Santa Claus in the morning, till the sun rises, the electrical fire and he called me on the terrace in front of the house.
Of course I was speechless when I saw full of orange trees, lights, chocolates and I could not even recite a poem, though they asked me a long time.
Many years later I realized that Santa was actually my father.

kovecses

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
when i was 6, I wanted to see Santa. Of course i fell a sleep. I cried next morning when i woke up, but with few presents next to my bed...

Status
Not open for further replies.