Gigabyte, Patriot, Zalman, Holiday Contests!

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ceej

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
One of my most unforgettable memories is one of those memories that was so upsetting at the time, but is now too hilarious to be forgotten. I always laugh when I remember the year I got a Dreamcast for Christmas. As a steady Nintendo loyalist my entire life it was hard convincing me that the Dreamcast, with its fragile GD-ROMs, was better than my bulletproof Nintendo 64 cartridges.

One day I happened to walk into Funcoland and a friend I knew who worked there was showing it off. He was demoing Sonic Adventure and showed me Sonic's footprints while running through the sand, and the speed of it all... convinced me that Christmas morning I needed a Dreamcast.

I will never forget pulling it out of it's magnificent egg-crate packaging, opening my keyboard and mouse. The only thing missing? A memory card. So I figured I would try and beat Sonic Adventure (at least Sonic's side) in a day. After 10 hours, I had gotten up to the last level, Final Egg, and thought it might be a good time to eat.

My 5-year-old sister, good samaritan as she was, thought that it might be a good idea to save power by turning off my Dreamcast. To summarize, No memory card = No saving = EPIC NOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!! Needless to say, I got a memory card the next day and beat the game proper! But I'll never forget (or forgive) my little sister for ruining my plans to foil Dr. Robotnik that Christmas Day in 2000.

fkr1

Distinguished
Dec 9, 2009
Christmas as a kid was all about family, get togethers, and sledding. Best Christmas will always be opening up my Voltron. This object of my obsession was about a foot tall, all metal, and perfect. I know my family could not afford this toy when i was a child. That toy held way more meaning than a toy. thanks for the good memories.

G

All of the companies above are who I use and trust anyway! Easy to like you on Facebook.

ellaid

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
I remember a New Year's in kindergarten my daughter. I videoed and photographed, but when the music of the girls began to dance the dance of snowflakes, I nearly burst into tears. It's still a miracle! True, a little photo / video shoot will not break, but remember so far.))
Merry Christmas!

dvigano

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
Christmas Morning

I was told as a young child to stay away from the living room (where our Christmas tree was) on Christmas morning until my parents awoke because we might catch Santa delivering our presents. And if that happened, he would scurry up the chimney and not leave all of the presents that he came to deliver.

So I'd wake up really early on Christmas morning (because I was so incredibly excited), usually between 4:00a and 5:00a and avoid the living room like the plague. When I say "avoid it like the plague" I mean that I wouldn't even look in the direction of the living room for fear that I might catch Santa in the act ... and then it would all be over. I would run to the bathroom with my head down and run back again when I was finished. I wanted something to eat or drink so bad, but the kitchen was too close to the living room to risk ... everything! So I would play quietly with some Legos or Lincoln Logs or Army Men (yes I'm dating myself, but who cares) for what seemed like hours. Then I'd lay in bed and wait for my sisters (1 older and 1 younger) to wake up - which took FOREVER! Then we'd all get together in one of our bedrooms and decide whether or not the sound we just heard was Santa.

By 8:00a the anticipation was literally killing me and was almost too much to bear. We'd try to figure out what a good time would be to wake our parents and begin the unwrapping. It didn't take long before our decision was final. The three of us would enter their bedroom and leap onto the bed to wake them. The fact was that we couldn't take it any longer and I was about to burst out of my skin with Christmas cheer.

As a child, I couldn't possibly disturb Santa at such a crucial time. A time when I was being so justly rewarded for being "Nice" all year. Now, as a parent of two children, I realize my parents knew we'd get up early and manipulated us so that they could get some much needed sleep - nothing more. Guess what I tell my kids? Don't go near the living room .....

Merry Christmas and happy New Year!

G

My favorite holiday memory would have to be simply waking up with the one I love. Honestly. Presents are NOT affordable this year but we still have our love for each other. Happy Holidays everyone!

gryoraden

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2009
Well, here's my story. I've been working with computers since 1999 and started building one since 2001, but never really had the chance to buy myself one. Every Christmas someone would call me and asks me to help them build their computer for someone or for himself/herself. That's the reason why I found your site (other sources as well) to know whats new and help other people, the ones that called me, on making their own decision. Living here is difficult, so buying my own rig is not an option, but I need it for my studies, unless I wanted to buy a system with a Pentium 4 CPU and use it for my studies.

mlhauburn

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2008
Thanks for sleeping walking children. Imagine, Late night, early morning Christmas. I am in the floor building presents that Santa is bring to the kids. Ever so quietly my oldest girl, third of four children, come walking by, says "Hi" and that she loves me and walks by everything in the floor, kept going to my bedroom and crawled into bed. To this date she still doesn't remember it. What a mess that could have been.

G

December of 1999, i was about to take my wife's hand for marriage from her parents because she was already 5 months pregnant that time, we were so scared and nervous because we were young then! Im alone to talk to my wife parents and to explain how and why it happen and what my plans are. my parents are angry so they decided not to come and let me by my self. i prayed and asked god to give me the courage to face my future in laws because i know that they were also mad at us. i went there by my self acting bravely and man enough to talk to my wife's family. They welcome me in but the first thing they said was "don't tell us your alone, wheres you parents?" and i said "they will be late but they will come". knowing that they will not come. we started the conversation and talked hoping the conversation will end not noticing my parents absence so i tried answering all the questions they would ask and always agrees in all things they said. the suddenly the doorbell ranged and as the door opens there came my parents. i was shocked and surprised that they come. the conversation ended and they decided that we should be married as soon as possible, me and my wife where so happy because both our parents talked and agreed each other. then after a week my wife spends Christmas eve at my house and her house in new years eve. it was the most memorable and best Christmas i had, spending it together with the ones i love with out problems and peace of mind. right after the new year we started to work with our wedding, and got married January 29, 2000 and my wife gave birth April 3, 2000. that's the most interesting, hearth breaking and intense Christmas i had.

roelhammerpogi

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
December of 1999, i was about to take my wife's hand for marriage from her parents because she was already 5 months pregnant that time, we were so scared and nervous because we were young then! Im alone to talk to my wife parents and to explain how and why it happen and what my plans are. my parents are angry so they decided not to come and let me by my self. i prayed and asked god to give me the courage to face my future in laws because i know that they were also mad at us. i went there by my self acting bravely and man enough to talk to my wife's family. They welcome me in but the first thing they said was "don't tell us your alone, wheres you parents?" and i said "they will be late but they will come". knowing that they will not come.
We started the conversation and talked hoping the conversation will end not noticing my parents absence so i tried answering all the questions they would ask and always agrees in all things they said. the suddenly the doorbell ranged and as the door opens there came my parents. i was shocked and surprised that they come. the conversation ended and they decided that we should be married as soon as possible, me and my wife where so happy because both our parents talked and agreed each other. Then after a week my wife spends Christmas eve at my house and her house in new years eve. it was the most memorable and best Christmas i had, spending it together with the ones i love with out problems and peace of mind. right after the new year we started to work with our wedding, and got married January 29, 2000 and my wife gave birth April 3, 2000.
That's the most interesting, hearth breaking and intense Christmas i had.

jbirdjavi2

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2010
One Christmas when I was a kid we were opening presents at my Uncle's house (they lived on a farm). Right in the middle of our gift opening, someone shouted "Look!" and pointed out the window. Out in the front yard were a bunch of cows that had gotten out of their pen somehow. So we left the presents and went out in the snow to round up the cows and chase them back into their pen. It was a lot of fun for a city boy like me. :)

gefthebest

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Last Christmas I had cooling problems with my desktop so I set up my gaming station on my balcony, in the snow (few inches but still...).
It worked pretty well but I couldn't play any FPSs because my fingers would lag :)

toxxel

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
Quite a few years back, I was around he age of 12 and it was nearing Christmas time. I believe I was asleep at the time, but I heard a loud noise and I got up to check what happened. My mother was yelling at our cat named Boo, he was at that age where he did his first marking of territory. Low and behold he marked everything under the Christmas tree. But that's not all, he wasn't named Boo without a reason. He got so frightened that he knocked down the Christmas tree in his attempt to get out from under it. Low and behold our cat got an early Christmas present and we had to replace our tree.

vborets

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
I remember how in the last holidays my wife and I went to the mother-in-law to another city. But the road is blocked with snow and we were waiting for 8 hours until clear the way, the holiday was greeted at the car.

G

When I was a young lad, I had acquired a bundle of fireworks around the fourth of july. To hide them temporarily in a place that would not be found by parents or siblings, I put them behind the logs in the fireplace. Remember this was the middle of summer and nobody was going to be using or even looking at the fireplace in the summer. Children have flawless logic. Yet, like most children, distractions mounted and I forgot the fireworks were there.

As the holidays neared and the weather cooled (we lived in Arizona), yes, you guessed it... Christmas morning our parents lit the first log burning fire of the winter. Normally, the fire crackles and wood pops... but this time, after about 20 minutes, well... I'm fortunate we had a screen on front of the fireplace. At the time, it was horrific, but in retrospect hilarious. Yes, I did admit to it and yes I was punished. HAHAHA

G

Very young (Seventeen) I was when during the Christmas holidays I met a girl named Anita, she seemed as a nerd to me and I was least interested about her and was trying my luck with other girls. I wasn't any prince charming n got average looks. Anyway I tried n failed to hookup with anyone n was kinda sad becaz even my dumbest friends got a girl. I was so desperate I tried everything n eventually I went for Anita and asked her whats she is doing with her laptop. I was surprised to see that she was blogging about me and posted a article "Finding Neverland". Initially I was very angry(almost demanded for a compensation) and asked her to delete it, but then she convinced me to read the article n after that I was very happy to see that she documented how n why I was sad during the Christmas Eve n even wrote possible solutions.

We became friends (btw she was my first girlfriend) and her solutions were quite working in real life.

Stifle

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
I remember not being able to sleep all night every Christmas eve, now I can't sleep all night the day after Thanksgiving so I can get the best deals on PC hardware. Where is my soul now?

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
Most memorable? I was 15, got drunk Christmas Eve, and had a vomit-filled hangover for the next 3 days, effectively missing Christmas altogether.

My parents had gotten divorced when I was 13, and I lived with my father full-time. He remarried fairly quickly, about a year after the divorce. She had 2 sons, both my age, and one Christmas we all went up to my new stepmother's parent's house. They are rather wealthy, and so us 3 young men were to sleep downstairs in their huge remodeled basement.

It's Christmas Eve, and we're bored, so while digging through the cabinets in the basement, we discover some beer. Good times for all! After about an hour of drinking beer, we also discover a gallon of gin. Hoorah, more good times! Well, I didn't really heed that warning of "beer before liquor, never been sicker", mainly because I was 15 and didn't know any better. So we started dropping back cups of gin like it was nothing. The gin, by the way, smelled just like Christmas trees. Remember that.

After a couple cups, I could no longer walk nor see straight, so I went to bed, around 11:30pm. Around 12:30am Christmas morning, I awoke, rushing to the toilet, so that I could vomit up everything I had ever eaten in my entire life. This continued for about the next 3 days, effectively destroying that Christmas for me. My stepmother's entire family (like 25 people), were at the house that day to witness my glorious upchucking.

My stepmother's parent's basement smelled like vomit for weeks after that, I have never been able to drink gin since, and I get sick every time I smell Christmas trees.

G

Recently, my wife and I were invited to an eggnog toast at one of the local embassies. We had a welcome from the ambassador and answered questions as to what country we were from and what we were doing in Berlin, when the host was called to the front to address us. Standing next to us was a women in a blue suit who handed the ambassador two sheets of paper she had unfolded. We could see the German was written phonetically and the words had 16 type face.

After he concluded his speech in German, English and Gaelic, I turned to the blue suited women and asked, How long have you been his assistant?" She looked me in the eyes and stated, "I'm not his assistant. I'm his wife." He is the boss here, but I'm the boss everywhere else."
JoelDee/Berlin

pragueshadow

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
This Christmas season my two new kittens decided the tree was a jungle gym and the ornaments cat toys just just for them and systematically removed every last one from the tree.

naddit

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2010
Once I decided to present my best friend on New Year a beautiful dress we liked it in the store. And here at 12 o'clock, we opened our presents and we had a shock! We gave each other the same dress! But they were on a holiday like real sisters. ;-)

mpioca

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2010
At the time of my story I was about 6 or 7 years old. I was pretty naive back then I have to admit that.

Christmas was approaching rapidly and we had a bit of ceremony at school so we got ourselves pretty much involved with the Christmas-feeling! One of my classmates let me know in some inconsiderate way that: "There is no santa, never was, never will be.". =( You can imagine how devasteted I felt!

I reluctantly told my parents about the grim situation. I'm not entirely sure if I'd call their reaction ethical. But anyways, They told me that this little kid is a bastard and that's why there's no Santa for him! But as for me, Santa visits me every Christmas! =)

There you go! I once again believed in all wonders of Christmas inconditionally!

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
Well, it was long ago when i was 10 yrs old.

I woke up in the morning and i couldn't wait to open the presents. I opened them all, you know, usual stuff, toys, food etc.

BUT, then i looked behind the Christmas tree and i sav a big present. I opened it up and wow, there was the expensive remote controlled car that i always wanted :) I was so happy that day, i'll always remember of it.

Status
Not open for further replies.