Gigabyte, Patriot, Zalman, Holiday Contests!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

When I was 12 years old, my parents pulled the ultimate Christmas prank on me and my siblings. Christmas morning came and they got us up early and we had breakfast and cleaned up.

Then we went to the tree and began opening our presents. When all was said and done, we had been given 2 "swabs" (mops), 2 commercial grade mop buckets with ringers (bright yellow kind), 4 cleaning "trays" with corresponding chemical supplies and rags/sponges, and a number of other miscellaneous items for cleaning the house. We lived in a 3,500 sq. ft. house with all white tile and some oriental rugs, to give you an idea of the size.

After we had opened all of these "presents", our parents proceeded to announce that we would do our first 'field day' and walked us around the house and showed us all the things we would be required to do once weekly from then on, demonstrating the proper use of each item we had been given. This took nearly three hours.

Finally, after we finished being showed how to use our new gifts, our parents announced that we should go to the front hall closet under the stairs and put our things away there. When we opened up the door, the closet as jam packed full of actual presents for us.

But ... for those few hours, we were so sad and depressed that our parents had given us only mops and brooms and other cleaning supplies for Christmas. Going from that low and depressed made us so much more happy and thankful than we would otherwise have been for the gifts we received after the prank ran its course.

So ... ultimate prank by our parents, followed by one of the best Christmas experiences ever.

elite_47

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
I already liked all of those sites so I guess thats done. I'm a big fan of tech and love to keep up with tech news so tomshardware is my daily stop for my fix.

For my story, every time I think of christmas or it gets near christmas time I think of my family and my hometown. This is the first christmas where I will be spending it alone. I recently built a desktop and can now webchat with them but it wont be the same. Such is life, but I know that it will all be ok. It always ends up ok in the end.

Merry Christmas to all and be sure to cherish your families. They are more precious when they are close by.

brisingamen

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2009
im working christmas eve, christmas morning day, and boxing day, and new years eve. so i guess. . . oh yeah and a minimum wage job at that, . . . pff

my best holiday memories are all of them i didnt work!!!!!

-Alessandro-

Feb 15, 2010
Two year ago, I woke up on December 24th at 22:00, put on my guard uniform and went to make my shift that started at 23:30... what a sad night... I was guarding a VIP here in my hometown at his house... everybody was taking dinner and opening presents inside the house... I was just outside watching for any burglar that could pass by...
My girlfriend was calling me to say Merry Christmas when I saw a mysterious taxi stopping nearby. Two people came out of that taxi and started walking to the street behind the house, so I radio my partner to go and check. After a couple of minutes, "bang"... the two guys were caught and put in prison.

When everybody was having dinner, having a good time opening presents; I was putting my life in danger...
(I want one of those 14 prizes so bad to pimp up my rig)

bh2o

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2008
I was in 7th grade and got my skateboard decked out with new trucks, grip tape, wheels, bearings, the works. My mom also paid the guy at the shop to do all the work, so we went to eat our food and came back to the shop; sadly the guy had not started ours like he promised and did a really quick job that wasn't the best work, but I thought I had fixed most of his errors. The next day we drove to my Uncle's house where he has a bunch of steep hills my cousin and I were going to cruise on. As we began, I made sure I had all my safety gear on and we started. When I was going downhill I noticed that my board was drifting to the right for some reason and was on course to smack a car, so I attempted to make my board go left; that is where the trouble began. My trucks decided to turn 180 degrees and launch me off my board as I tumble multiple times down a steep hill. When I got up, I was bleeding and could not feel my left arm. I went to the hospital that night with my parents, sadly I made them miss Christmas dinner and I still feel bad about it, and found it I had broken both bones in my wrist; on the plus side, they gave me some apple juice. I also asked why there were patients on Christmas when they should be at home, that day I learned what the word depression meant, sorta. We got back to my Uncle's and had some cold dinner and drove home.

That is my 7th grade Christmas story, happy holidays.

ProDigit10

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2010
I'm about to buy a new pc, as my old core2duo 1,66Ghz laptop's keyboard finally had one broken (worn out) key, after the DVD rom drive and HD broke last year.
I needed something bigger for gaming, because the integrated graphics just don't do it anymore!

So we looked online a bit, and went to our costco store, and found that most stores still sold computers with corei3 or athlon 2 processors at 1k$.
We can't afford that, as I can make exactly the same setup for 500.
But I wanted a Corei5 processor for my wife so she could start a business with normal gear. Not 5-6 year old crap.
But we just don't have the money.
Any mobo, RAM, Corei5, case is greatly appreciated!

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]onzfeat[/nom]story must be in english? ^_^ thats big problem for me...[/citation]

down load fire ox and get the IM translator add on. just convert each sentence after you write it :D

f-14

Distinguished
[citation][nom]Diangos[/nom]I don't have a facebook account. Probably never will.Why does everything revolve around facebook!? It's just a site, like any other...Nowadays you can't participate in any contests because you have to like something on facebook, twitter or some other snob-ridden sites.[/citation]
everybody involved wants to track you and find your computer states...purely for 'marketing' reasons of course.

K-zon

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
I dont really have a story within most reason, im just interested in the final step up versions of what i have, which is getting old by now. i have 430 watt power supply but i dont think i use even half of it. I probably do really. But i think the steup version leaves off at around 550 or so. Until its back into a larger proc process. Which should be double almost. So working from then to 750 within doing 1k would be nice to not have a huge power gassling machine quite yet if at all. The newer stuff probably would be 1.2k in some terms, think thats what those power supplies where for.

JakeNome

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2009
Well I don't celebrate Christmas, but I do have a story for it. I think it was 4 or 5 years ago, around the time of christmas. People were still out and about doing their holiday shopping. I was heading on over to a friend's house for a secret santa thing. The conditions for the secret santa were to gift something that was already in your possession. So, we couldn't buy a brand new item. I chose my harmonica, which I never even used. I received it as a present from when I visited my home country. So, I wrapped it up with a simple green wrapping paper and a red ribbon and headed out to take the train. It had started snowing early that morning, but very lightly. It was just enough to color everything white. As I walked down the stairs of the train station, I noticed a man sitting on a dirty carpet in the snow with an empty glass beside him. I probably wouldn't have given him a second glance if it wasn't for the child standing beside him. He was probably 3 or 4 years old, and covered in dirty clothes. From the look on his face, you couldn't tell that he was homeless. It mightve just been the snow, but he had this sparkle in his eyes as he just stood there and watched. When I got to the bottom of the steps and passed by him, he just held out his hands. I guess he was asking for some change, but I'm not good with being put on the spot. I wasnt quite sure what to do so I just handed him the harmonica box i was carrying. He held it with both hands and just looked down at it with interest, but didnt hurry to open it. I just left after that.

My best recent Christmas story...a few years ago I was part of a group that worked 24/5+. Due to the small size of the group, only a few of us got much time off at Christmas, and this was not my turn. I let my family that I would not be able to join them.
BUT...
The way the shifts worked out, on Friday I'd be working from 4:00a until 1:00p; and on Monday I'd be on the 10:00a-7:00p shift. I found flights departing Friday evening and returning early Monday morning. I called my sister, and during her Friday "me time," (apart from her family of five) she picked me up at the airport. She went into the house, then maybe ten minutes later I came in too. It was a great surprise, for my parents who were already there, and for my brother and his family who arrived the next day. Fun fun...

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
One holiday season when I was in high school, my grandma and some younger cousins came to visit our house. I was playing hide-n-seek with my younger cousins and decided to hide in the shower behind the curtain. I heard someone storming up the stairs and I became silent because I thought it was my cousin looking for me. Next thing I know, the bathroom door slams closed, I hear someone unbuckle their belt and drop the nastiest number 2 in my life! IT WAS MY GRANDMA! I had to choose at that point to run out from the shower and risk giving her a heart attack or be a trooper and endure the stench and sound. I chose to tough it out through the moans and groans of a 70 year old lady dropping a bomb for the ages. A Christmas I'll never forget, I must say.

deeweb

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2010
I celebrate a hindu festival called diwali. Found a beautiful german shepherd many years back during that festival time. She was terrified of the firecrackers that are usual during the festival days, and had run away from her home and had run into a grocer's shop and was hiding behind the sacks of rice and wheat. They were scared of such a huge dog and were howling and screaming in vain to drive her out of their shop. I was walking along and went to investigate. I thought I'd help out since I'm a dog lover and borrowed some twine rope to put around the dog and slowly but surely in a few minutes I'd coaxed her out of the shop and we walked about half a kilometre to my home. No one ever claimed her and we named her Lucy and she lived with us for almost 5 years, a gentle/lovable dog who had to be put to sleep when her hind legs got paralysed. I still miss her and now have another dog, who's a stray but also a dear angel who never fails to cheer me and my family up whenever we're feeling down and weary. I love dogs, you haven't really lived until you've loved a dog and have it love you back so much, much more ! True story.

phwool

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
Around 8-9 years ago, back when I was still in elementary school, Pokemon (the card game) was still super popular and everyone in my school played it. I remember waking up on Christmas with my brother to go to the tree and in with the decorations were Pokemon card packs on the tree :). Was very fun and I competed with my brother in picking the coolest looking packs to pick :p.

phoy

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008
since i'm from not so advance asian country :D tech here is at least 3 months late and kinda expensive for me :D . having an old pc this days is really not good. given the amount of power old once eats up, stock for windows xp for years (since day one of xp!lol) plus it cant run may favorite games such us black ops and nba 2k11. that's why im looking foward to have a new computer for this generation. hoping for a good xmas gift hehehe

G

I have lots of Christmas memories from my time in the United States (where I had lived for 14 years). One that comes to mind is when I shared a 3 bedroom apartment with 5 people, all of whom were aged 18-24 age at the time. I had trouble with my aging car (a 1984 Honda Civic) which was falling apart. It was barely roadworthy. So I pretty much let it sit in the parking lot. Work was within walking distance and I didn't get out much.

Christmas was coming. Although I was not rolling in the dough, I had to get them some Christmas presents. And so, with what little money I had, I bought little gifts for them. On Christmas Day, we all gathered in the living room and I told them that I regarded them as my little brothers and sisters and it was our first Christmas together. I gave them the gifts.

They thanked and hugged me. Then they said that they bought me something as well. They gave me a tiny box, about the size of a matchbox. I opened it. It was a car key. They thanked me for all the love and help I had given them. This was their way of giving it back. I cried right then and there.

((Group hug))

Jae, Stephanie, Kat, Omar and Tiffany. I love you all.

V.

P/S It was a 1988 Pontiac Firebird.

azomiss

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I like to remember the old times when being a kid wanted to catch Santa, to ask him about his magic, how he can travel so fast and how come he knew what kind of toy I wanted year after year! :)

jtheater

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2010
It was Christmas 1985 and I was 8.... it was a good year. Actually a great year. My brother and I found our Christmas "secret stash" our parents had tucked away in their closet. They were already wrapped so we couldn't tell what they were just by looking at them. A closer inspection of a certain box wrapped in the white, slightly see-through paper revealed a Nintendo Entertainment System. Score!! Now we really couldn't wait until Christmas. How could a kid keep quiet about an awesome present. Believe me I did. Come Christmas morning, like all kids, we woke up at the crack of dawn waiting for out parents to crawl out of bed. They couldn't move fast enough. FINALLY!! My sights were set on that one particular present I knew I wanted the most. It was go time and I grabbed that box, ripped that white see-though paper and behold.... Nintendo with Robotic Operating Buddy or R.O.B.!! I hugged that box like it my my life long companion. Screw the other presents lets check this thing out. Mind you, an 8 year old won't determine the size and weight ratio of a box with that much adrenaline pumping on Christmas morning. As the angels lights were shining down on me opening my very own NES, all these thoughts were going though my mind on what games am I going to get? OPENED!! Oh my god! What is this? My parents... horrible, horrible parents replaced my beloved NES with and old, beat up, broken zipper, torn, 1960's made, sleeping blanket with a floral pattern. I was speechless. My family, not so much as they were bursting out with laughter. My dad had saw my broken heart and went to the closet, pulled out my NES, and gave it to me. Although I'm scarred for life, it was the best Christmas ever.

I have 4 kids now, time to pass it on.

kushko

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2009
One of my best memories of Christmas was while I was a teenager.

My mom had very little money and we didn't get many gifts. My mom did her best, but there just was very little money. But then one Christmas season I answered the door and someone from Santa's Anonymous (Toy for Tots) was at the door with a large bag full of gifts for my brothers and sister.

Now that myself and my siblings are financially comfortable, we continue to support our local communities throughout the year and at Christmas, so that we can help others who are in the same situation we were when we were young.

G

I could really use some spare parts, as I am the family IT staff. Between my wife and her family, I really need to start building some new Windows 7 machines. maybe have a part or two left over for me! thanks!

krusher33

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
I have one that happened just this year:

For Thanksgiving, we hosted dinner for first time. I have a 3 year old daughter who is at that stage where she asks a lot of questions. My wife told her that we're eating a turkey. She asked (of all questions) "Is it alive?" Wife told her no, it's "as dead as dead can be". So the next person who comes into the door my daughter yelled at the top of her lungs "WE'RE HAVING TURKEY. AND IT'S AS DEAD AS DEAD CAN BE!"

G

My favorite Christmas memory was the year I discovered that making someone else happy was way more fun than 'getting stuff' for me.

Tassadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2007
My Christmas memories always remind me of the things I want to give out for my loved ones, and then, with the little I have left, some to me. Since it's recession, and in Romania you get 300 Euros/month if you're lucky, this has been a fairly hard year. But nonetheless, this year, in preparation for the Holidays, I've managed to gather a good sum of money that I had put aside. So without thinking twice, I went out and started shopping at the local stores. I got my mom a nice Microwave oven, my sister a nice set of perfume/body spray/deodorant set with the fragrance she likes, and then I got to myself. I've pondered and pondered what could Santa bring me this year. Then it hit me: I've had a GTS250 in my PC since it released, maybe it was time for an upgrade. I've calculated how much money I had left and browsed through online stores for a nice little GPU. I've finally set my eyes on a GTX460 OC from Gigabyte, which I currently own, and let me tell you, it's one investment I'm not regretting. So that's my story, and this is what Santa brought me and my folks this year.

Happy holidays!

Status
Not open for further replies.