Gigabyte Re-Arms G1.Killer Series with Z68 Chipset

Status
Not open for further replies.

dimar

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009
Will be looking forward for G1-Killer board based on Intel 7-series chip, with native PCIe 3 support. When are PCIe 3 cards expected anyway?

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]aleksancevski[/nom]Anyone know if it is UEFI like ASUS or just the ugly standard BIOS?[/citation]

That's a really good question...wasn't Gigabyte the one that didn't develop UEFI on their recent Z68 boards?

It's be a shame to have a board like this and not have UEFI

11796pcs

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2011
GIGABYTE said the design isn't just for looks -- it utilizes a unique "fluting" technology similar to a rifle barrel fluting which allows for maximum heat dispersion.
I'm sorry, but that sounds like the biggest BS I've heard in a while. Though I love the board itself. If I was going to drop that much money, I would at least wait for the new Ivy Bridge/2011 chips. No enthusiast would ever buy this board though because even though 2 570/6950/6970/580s are enough for anybody at pretty much any resolution the enhusiast HAS to have 4 PCI-e ports for some reason.
making it a killer choice when building that custom gaming rig capable of taking on Crysis 2 or anything else Crytek has in its arsenal.
Unless you're playing at some rediculous resolution, maxed out Crysis 1 isn't really that hard anymore. I can get 19-23 FPS at 1680x1050 with a 5770 (playable for me), maxed out (without AA).

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
[citation][nom]christop[/nom]I will guess this board will be 400 bucks. I still don't see the point in the bigfoot killer nic all the reviews I have seen say its a joke..[/citation]

it takes a lot of CPU power to handle the average American internet connection. You expect a onboard giabit NIC and a core i7 CPU to handle the vast onslaught of 5-10mbit/s of data?

the bigfoot's 400MHz CPU is still lacking, a network card needs at least a dedicated core i7 2600K on the NIC to ensure that users get the most out of their 5-10mbit connections

I want a network card with a built in quantum computer to handle my slow internet connection

jk

anyway I feel this board will have a horrible price/ performance ratio. (you are mostly paying for the looks and crap like name brand network cards that don't work any better)

(think of it as the i'm rich application for the iphone, but as a motherboard instead)

PS will tomshardware please make an article on when is a overpriced motherboard worth the money.

In many cases, a $120 and a $200 motherboard will only offer a small difference in performance, but putting the $80 towards a better CPU, or GPU will often have a significantly higher performance boost.

ojas

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2011
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Unless you're playing at some rediculous resolution, maxed out Crysis 1 isn't really that hard anymore. I can get 19-23 FPS at 1680x1050 with a 5770 (playable for me), maxed out (without AA).[/citation]

Do you notice how contradictory your statement is?

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
i can see this main board's price beign around 250 bucks , i.e. it will be for elite gamers only , (and when i say elite , i dont mean gamer's that are actually good at games, more like the kind of gamers that throw super hardware at thier "i-suck-at-games" problem)

that said .. *yawn* i'd rather here about a company bringing big game features to lower end products something that most gamers can atually afford.

and damn i built my current mid range rig in 2008 and looking at all the new tech out is making me long for something newer , but as usual my broke a-- isn't any where near the money for building a new budget gaming pc, let alone the monster system you'd stick on this main board.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]Unless you're playing at some rediculous resolution, maxed out Crysis 1 isn't really that hard anymore. I can get 19-23 FPS at 1680x1050 with a 5770 (playable for me), maxed out (without AA).[/citation]

you knwo hwo stupid you sound ??? no offence but seriously 19-23 fps palyable ? i have same vid chip as you and i'm on a athy 64 x2 5000+ black edition clocked to 3ghz , i get 15-45 (depending on the scene) and i uninstalled crysis 1 half way throguh the game cos i was sick of just how Unpalyble it is with those low dips it does (and that is regardless of rather or not i maxed it out) to boot i'm locked to highQ only cos i'm still runing win xp 32 bit so i'm ntoe ven runing it at max dx 10 setttings and i'm findingf it to unplayable to bear. yet you manage to suffer 19 to 23 fps and call that playable ???

your comment is giving me a headache just imagining what you were thinking when you made it on one hand you say crysis 1 is easy to run , and in the same sentence you talk about some rather unplayble performance in ANY OTHER gamer's mind and eyes.

what i define as "runs easy" is a game that plays max settings 1080p (1920 x 1080) with 4x aa and 40-60 fps (such as my computer runing fallout new vegas on my HDTV),

what your calling good running, IS NOT running good. try playing that crap online and i'm sure you'll be handed your rectum's inner working 100% of the time.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]razor512[/nom]it takes a lot of CPU power to handle the average American internet connection. You expect a onboard giabit NIC and a core i7 CPU to handle the vast onslaught of 5-10mbit/s of data? the bigfoot's 400MHz CPU is still lacking, a network card needs at least a dedicated core i7 2600K on the NIC to ensure that users get the most out of their 5-10mbit connectionsI want a network card with a built in quantum computer to handle my slow internet connectionjkanyway I feel this board will have a horrible price/ performance ratio. (you are mostly paying for the looks and crap like name brand network cards that don't work any better)(think of it as the i'm rich application for the iphone, but as a motherboard instead)PS will tomshardware please make an article on when is a overpriced motherboard worth the money.In many cases, a $120 and a $200 motherboard will only offer a small difference in performance, but putting the $80 towards a better CPU, or GPU will often have a significantly higher performance boost.[/citation]

i agree with you about teh network card adn looks , but there is one feature that tweaked my interest in this board ,and that is teh sound chip , basically a dedicated sound card chip built into the mainboard, sounds freaking awsome and i'd like to see this done more often. take away the other flashy junk , keep the sound chip and sell this for 150 and i'd defintely start looking to scrounge change to build a new system. currently i've been carrying over a SB X-fi card from my last comptuers (PCI not PCIE), and with the crappy creative drivers for pci-e i'm to afraid to get a newer sound card when this one does a nice job , but a mainbaord built in sound card will likely have much better drivers. and would certainlye as my audiophile concerns when building a new rig

hetneo

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
I think that info about PCIe Gen3 is a bit misleading here. Gigabyte webpage says "Ready for Native PCIe Gen3", which actually means nothing. Translated to simple english it reads "will have native support for PCIe Gen3 if Intel ever ships CPU for LGA1155, which is highly unlikely to happen in next 12 months, and when it happens it will already be available in mid range products though there still won't be CPU available that can utilize that kind of bandwidth or GPU that can use it even in CfX/SLI configuration, but hey this is useless feature but very very exclusive and you have to pay for that exclusivity".

You cant have both of these in the same sentence..... when you say maxed out, It means MAXED OUT. not semi maxed out or have some settings off. You have everything on and up to the max.

Now if you said "nearly maxed out" people wouldn't be going after your dumb comment.

dan706

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2010
GIGABYTE said the design isn't just for looks -- it utilizes a unique "fluting" technology similar to a rifle barrel fluting which allows for maximum heat dispersion

A fluted barrel on a rifle won't gain you a significant advantage in heat dissipation as there is less steel to heat up, therefore the barrel will heat up faster. There are also claims that fluted barrels are more rigid, providing greater accuracy. A non-fluted barrel with the same dimensions as a fluted barrel will have greater rigidity.

Fluted barrels are slightly lighter than conventional barrels, which can give them an advantage if you need to lug around 20kg worth of high powered precision killing hardware for a long period of time.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]demonhorde665[/nom]there is one feature that tweaked my interest in this board ,and that is teh sound chip , basically a dedicated sound card chip built into the mainboard, sounds freaking awsome and i'd like to see this done more often. [/citation]

The problem with your statement is that almost all motherboards come with onboard sound and most of them arent horrible. They arent 109db snr but onboard sound is onboard sound. I dare say that this would be no different as xfi can be software rendered now (I got a 30 day free trial of it with my last motherboard)... so they can put pretty much any chip on there and load the "software driver" for the x-fi emulator and it will show up as an x-fi but will be some other POS chip like soundmax or something. Not saying that that's what theyve done but it is possible is all so be on the look out if you actually purchase this board or know someone who is.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]11796pcs[/nom]I can get 19-23 FPS at 1680x1050 with a 5770 (playable for me), maxed out (without AA).[/citation]
Thats about right for performance actually according to the reviews Ive seen but the better question is why would you wanna play like that?

upfront

Distinguished
May 30, 2011
[citation][nom]huron[/nom]That's a really good question...wasn't Gigabyte the one that didn't develop UEFI on their recent Z68 boards?It's be a shame to have a board like this and not have UEFI[/citation]
I have a current model Gigabyte Z68 chipset board (GA-Z68X-UD4-B3). All Gigabyte Z68 are EFI boards. The manufacturer can choose to use the mouse interface or not. Gigabyte, so far, has chosen to use the Bios style interface (keyboard) for their board. Nevertheless, they are EFI boards which can Boot from hard drives larger than 2.2TB. Mine is booting from a 3TB hard drive to the OS. It's a shame they decided to use an Ugly Bios style interface. I also have an Asrock in the living-room which is EFI and I really enjoy the mouse style interface.

Status
Not open for further replies.