Gigabyte Takes GTX 1080 To The 'Xtreme'

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
"Gigabyte said the three 3D Active fans"

All fans are 3D objects.

"...fan blade design tuned for air intake."

All fans are designed for air intake.

"...The fans blow air through an array of fins with an angular design."

All fan blades are angled designs.

Please don't parrot the manufacturer PR like this, it just sounds silly, especially on a site like toms.

Wanna bet it'll offer the same cooling as a more conventional design such as EVGA's ACX 3.0? Or the noise will be not so good, or the cost too high, or the clocks not so impressive. We've seen all of this before.

And you only notice this now? :D.

No pricing, availability, final clock information, this seems just like a fluff piece or a company trying to keep everyone on their hardware when they know something better is going to be released by another company, how lame. Shame on Tom's for pushing this.

LuxZg

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007
That's a pretty tall order... Oculus Rift requires 3xUSB 3.0 + 1xUSB 2.0, and HDMI 1.3. Combined, that's a total theoretical bandwidth of greater than 25 Gbps. For comparison, that's more than an order of magnitude greater than the fastest wifi available. Although I imagine that the Rift isn't actually utilizing 100% of that bandwidth. But you also have to take into account that making it wireless would introduce latency, which is a big deal for VR.

It's possible, and if VR takes off I imagine it will happen someday, but... I wouldn't hold my breath.

I'd be happy with someone doing revision of Thunderbolt 3 HMD... Bandwidth & tech in it should be enough for display, USB lanes, audio lanes, AND it could power HMD as well without any issues - all in one cable. Sure, they aimed at the larger market that does not have Thunderbolt 3, but I still think they should have made one more version. One cable is more than enough, until wireless connection can provide what's needed.

Samer1970

Admirable
BANNED

Today Wireless technology CAN provide the bandwidth needed for VR . when they say 3xUSB3.0 this does not mean each at full bandwidth . it can range from 60-600MB/s for each . I dont think each USB3 will use more than 100MB/s ..

Those ports are for sensors and those sensors hardware are USB3.0 .. this does not mean full bandwidth usb 3.0 .

now we do have today USB3.0 WIFI with bandwidth upto 867Mbps and 1300Mbps I think those will be enough for each port.

tntom

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2001
Why are we not using old coax (SDI) for VR? It has been used for commercial video since 1989. The upcoming 24G-SDI supports 24Gbps and 2160p@120 through a single fiber optic cable the size of a toothpick vs. 36Mbps for HDMI. And the connectors have always been superior to HDMI. The Cables are super cheap and allow lengths up to 100 meters.

Memhorder

Distinguished

Look forward to it. Will be interesting.

Also....What about Blutooth 4.0 and Wi-Fi Direct? I'm sure Wireless is in the pipline. Should be anyway. Wouldn't it be kind of a hazard?

kcarbotte

Contributing Writer
Editor
Mar 24, 2015

3D Active fans are the name Gigabyte assigned to its proprietary fan design. It's a trademark name, hence the capitalization.

If you're going to call someone out about their writing, don't take parts of the phrase out to fit your context.
"sickle fan blade design tuned for air intake" - the key being the sickle fan blade, not just a standard fan blade. This is refering to the small protrusion coming out of the fan blade on the inner curve. it cuts through the air to reduce turbulance and enhance air intake - IE tuned for air intake. - would adding some hyperbole, like "tune for maximum air intake" make it more clear?

The angular fins i was referring to are the fins from the heatsink, not the blades of the fan. most heat sinks have straight up and down fins that let air pass through unobstructed. The Xtreme Gaming heatsink has fins that have a kink in them so more air actually touches the sides of the fins.

This isn't a review, its a news piece. We don't generally do a deep dive into the details for news.

mapesdhs

Distinguished
Nevertheless, it's still parroted PR, and there's plenty of evidence from past products that in reality these supposedly fancy designs often make little difference, especially since in many cases the core clocks are often lower than rival products.

I take your points, but all I can say there is that the writing then wasn't clear. I still think it makes more sense to leave the copy/paste of the company PR until a review shows the boasting actually makes a difference in practice, because it often doesn't. I've read so many reviews from people who eventually complain about fancy designs that actually end up with odd noise characteristcs or other issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.