Gigabyte Teases Heavily Engineered RTX 2080

kinggremlin

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Don't really see the point of these "extreme" versions nor the 6 different versions some manufacturers produce. They all perform the same due to power limits. Der8auer put a 2080 under dry ice with a power mod and got the card only up to 2340MHz with 50% more power at -70C. Less than 300 MHz more than an FE card. Seems the only reason to buy these extreme additions is to tell people you spent more. The 3 slot designs are ridiculous too for no tangible gain over a 2 slot founders edition.

And you have to add the fact, that turing doenst scale with voltage at all and either does it with low temperatures such as a watercooling loop. Turin under OC does behave like pascal: It scales great with reaallyy cold temperatures such as -70C. So it doenst matter if you GPU is running at 80 Degree with 1.03V or at 20 Degree C with 1.2V, there is probably a 50mhz difference for a huge amount of power consumption more :D

Nope. In a video they said that you can use 3 DP, 1 HDMI and 1 USB C at the same time OR 3 HDMI, 1 DP and 1 USB C.

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
Yay. Added plastic designed with boolean cuts in rhino 3d. Lol. Marketing garbage. Greedy Gigabyte and super greedy NVIDIA. Oink oink.

snatchby@hotmailcom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
i am with kinggremlin. when i read "heavily engineered" i kind of anticipated performance gains through some kind of power mod or something. this is just boring and unnecessary.