Gigabyte Unveils Core i5 Motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

most interesting thing to note on that motherboard is there is NO northbridge chipset!! and yet it wasn't even mentioned in the write-up. :)

[citation][nom]08nwsula[/nom]just less ram capability basically?[/citation]
Not really. Even on i7 RAM speed/bandwidth dosen't make difference in most (not ALL; server work loads benefit) real world applications. i5 should be good enough for every day users and most people who use C2D/C2Qs now,esp if OCed.

sacre

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2006
sooo is the northbridge merged with the southbridge? or is the heatsink covering both north/southbridge chipsets? wheres northbridge!

jaragon13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]sooo is the northbridge merged with the southbridge? or is the heatsink covering both north/southbridge chipsets? wheres northbridge![/citation]
I am positive anything that would be housed in a NB could be mounted in the SB area,but the terms so far is "no northbridge" so most of the southrbridge functions,which don't take up my power anyways will stick on the motherboard.

atomiktoaster

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2007
[citation][nom]sacre[/nom]sooo is the northbridge merged with the southbridge? or is the heatsink covering both north/southbridge chipsets? wheres northbridge![/citation]
I believe the speculation is that the northbridge functionality (memory and graphics) is moving into the CPU package and the cpu will communicate directly with the soutbridge to get to the drives and USB and such.

The_Blood_Raven

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2008
Rumors say that i5 may take the gaming performance crown and become the best gaming CPU on the market. I'm not so sure, but I absolutely hope that is true since we could always use more performance!

Claimintru

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2008
[citation][nom]Joe_The_Dragon[/nom]Apple should come with a core i5 desktop system or a core i7 1 cpu system at $1000 - $1500. NOT $2500 with only 3gb of ram.[/citation]

Or you could build your own and install leopard if you really wanted too for far far less? But then again I am guessing you just want the white box.

G

If you use the comments on newegg as an indicator of sales, PhenomII was released well after i7, and now has caught up with i7 for number of comments(as well as an equally good feedback rating). I believe Intel is still trying to find a way to make these not run @ 80c, and that is also probably also the reason for charging $300 for mobos(intentionally crippling sales), since only enthusiasts would pay that much, and enthusiasts won't really complain if the CPU/mobo only lasts a year. Anybody who thinks a CPU can last longterm at those temps should have his/her head examined.

[citation][nom]The_Blood_Raven[/nom]Rumors say that i5 may take the gaming performance crown and become the best gaming CPU on the market. I'm not so sure, but I absolutely hope that is true since we could always use more performance![/citation]
I think in terms of Price vs Performance this will most certainly happen.

huron

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2007
[citation][nom]OMGcoreI5[/nom]If you use the comments on newegg as an indicator of sales, PhenomII was released well after i7, and now has caught up with i7 for number of comments(as well as an equally good feedback rating). I believe Intel is still trying to find a way to make these not run @ 80c, and that is also probably also the reason for charging $300 for mobos(intentionally crippling sales), since only enthusiasts would pay that much, and enthusiasts won't really complain
if the CPU/mobo only lasts a year. Anybody who thinks a CPU can last longterm at those temps should have his/her head examined.[/citation]

Really?!?! Using comments as an indicator of sales? I agree that $300 for a motherboard and DDR3 RAM is a detractor, but the premise for your argument is ridiculous.

You don't even have to own the product to comment, nor to have purchased it from newegg. In fact, so many of the reviews are so outlandish and stupid, it's difficult sometimes to take the reviews seriously.

I agree that Phenom is a decent choice and am not a fanboy of any sort, but that argument is silly.

G

OK, *sarcasm* so the number of comments an item has apparently has no correlation to actual sales. The Q6600 has like a billion comments, and we know nobody bought one of those, whereas the Phenom 9950 only has like 300, whereas even my Grandma has one OCed to 5ghz. So after thoroughly examining the known popular CPUs(and the "this user purchased the item from newegg" tag on 99% of comments), we can draw that people commenting in no way reflects the actual number of sales. I suppose the Intel fanbois would also say that "gabby AMD users" are more likely to comment than the "silent majority Intel users", so you can't just say that odds are maybe 25% of buyers will leave a comment, because clearly the number of comments will misrepresent the actual numbers in favor of one but not the other... *end sarcasm*

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]OMGcoreI5[/nom]If you use the comments on newegg as an indicator of sales, PhenomII was released well after i7, and now has caught up with i7 for number of comments(as well as an equally good feedback rating). I believe Intel is still trying to find a way to make these not run @ 80c, and that is also probably also the reason for charging $300 for mobos(intentionally crippling sales), since only enthusiasts would pay that much, and enthusiasts won't really complain if the CPU/mobo only lasts a year. Anybody who thinks a CPU can last longterm at those temps should have his/her head examined.[/citation]
In contrast to Hurom I do believe comments can indicate sales numbers, if only roughly. But for the rest of your post I can't say I agree.
Last week I was at my aunts place. She's got a prescott 3,4ghz running at approx 75-80C which has been doing fine really. The computer's running more or less constantly, and it still hasn't failed (except for the psu which I was there to replace). Also I've got a celeron 2,2ghz (478) that is run completely silent. No fans or anything. The diode below the socket does show 70C under a medium workload and peaks in the low 80s. Admittedly I'm not using it much, but it hasn't broken down, and last time I checked it could still do a 2 hour prime95.
And once in the old days before I frequented tomshardware I even ran into an athlon MP that operated at almost a hundred degrees (~93-102C) due to a questionable working enviroment. BUT IT KEPT WORKING.
I haven't cooked a c2d or i7 cpu to see how well it works, but my old e6600 (@ 3.4) does get past 60C under heavy workloads (because I haven't cleaned any fans or heatsinks since it was new), and it's still running too.
In short - 80C is going to last you longer than the warranty, so intel has no reason to worry about it even if enthusiasts generally shy away from operating temperatures in those ranges.

ps. a barton 2800 doesn't like too high temps - that's the only chip I fried in my time, and I don't remember how many years back that was. I hadn't clipped the heatsink on properly.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]She's got a prescott 3,4ghz running at approx 75-80C ... Also I've got a celeron 2,2ghz (478) that is run completely silent. ... I even ran into an athlon MP that operated at almost a hundred degrees (~93-102C) due to a questionable working enviroment. [/citation]

These old chips you mention are up around 130-90nm. The newer 45nm (and upcoming 32nm) chips should not be running that hot, they shouldn't be generating that much energy. High temps can cause breakdown, and with such small-scale architecture, you probably don't want to keep your brand new CPU at that temperature.

I'm not saying 80C is or isn't bad, I'm just saying the effects of 80C on 45nm will be different than 90nm.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]She's got a prescott 3,4ghz running at approx 75-80C ... Also I've got a celeron 2,2ghz (478) that is run completely silent. ... I even ran into an athlon MP that operated at almost a hundred degrees (~93-102C) due to a questionable working enviroment. [/citation]

These old chips you mention are up around 130-90nm. The newer 45nm (and upcoming 32nm) chips should not be running that hot, they shouldn't be generating that much energy. High temps can cause breakdown, and with such small-scale architecture, you probably don't want to keep your brand new CPU at that temperature.

I'm not saying 80C is or isn't bad, I'm just saying the effects of 80C on 45nm will be different than 90nm.

Status
Not open for further replies.