Question GIGABYTE X470 Aorus Gaming 7 - RAID setting not working - What am I doing wrong?

Aug 21, 2019
Problem: I'm trying to set raid 0 up but it's not working.

I went into the Bios>Chipset>SATA Mode > Switched to RAID.

But when I save and restart computer, it doesnt give me the change to enter into the raid configuration menu (cntrl+ R), I dont see that screen anymore. It just loads directly into windows. The reason why I knew there was a config menu was because I saw it before when I was on an older Bios version. but now im on the most current version (f42a) and its not working.

Specs:
CPU:AMD athlon 200GE ( i have a 3700x but I'm trying to get this to work first)
GPU: evga gtx1080ti
Storage: SSD and HDD
Ram: G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 16GB (8gbx2) 3200 mhz

Pictures of my bios:
https://ibb.co/NNhgQ3N
https://ibb.co/5F5nQ8T
https://ibb.co/vdZsJS2
https://ibb.co/h8ZXN3z

Lutfij

Titan
Disconnect the HDD from your system and please revert to the last known BIOS that isn't with an alphabetical suffix. You're currently on an alpha version of the BIOS, which can and will have issues.

See if enabling NVMe RAID mode helps you out. Also, make sure your data on Windows 10 is backed up in case you haven't already.

Aug 21, 2019
Disconnect the HDD from your system and please revert to the last known BIOS that isn't with an alphabetical suffix. You're currently on an alpha version of the BIOS, which can and will have issues.

See if enabling NVMe RAID mode helps you out. Also, make sure your data on Windows 10 is backed up in case you haven't already.

Nope, this didnt work. I reverted back down to f40 as that is the earliest id want to go since im about to install a 3700x, miniumum is f40 bios for the ryzen 3 support.

It seems like they enabled 3rd gen ryzen support and disabled RAID support. im not happy right now.

hate-liberals

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
First off my forums user name is awful (it's from when I was younger back in the 90's), so if someone could PM me so I could change my name. That would be great. I do not hate liberals.

I just needed to be able to boot into Windows and access my main operating system disk, and access my 1TB RAID data array. Temporary solution to this problem (worked for me on F41):

BIOS->CSM Support Disabled
Chipset->SATA Mode Raid
Chipset-:>NVMe Raid Mode Disable
Go to boot devices and DELETE ALL ITEMS ON THE LIST (so boot priority list is EMPTY)
Go to BIOS Easy mode and do same if possible (delete all boot devices from boot priority list)
You would think that this would cause system not to boot... but no... it will now magically boot.
Save and reboot.
System magically boots your RAID disk. In boot priority, you now see Windows Boot Manager (AMD-RAID) available.

Later it wouldn't boot, so I had to go to BIOS Easy m ode again and re-add the Windows Boot Manager to the list of boot priorities. This is clearly a bug because I have to go into Easy BIOS mode to make things work.

Note that AMDRaidXpert2 Utility is accessible via the BIOS, and the CTRL-R to enter the menu is now missing. Also I don't get to see my RAID drive status during boot messages either. I can't remember if old bios had the AMDRaidXpert2 Utility, but on BIOS F40 and greater, apparently this is how you view and modify your RAID arrays now.

I still think this is a bug, but if you just upgraded a Gigabyte X470 motherboard to a 3700X or other Gen 3 Ryzen, and you can't access your RAID disks because the F40+ BIOS is buggy, try this temporary workaround.

Frustrating as now my 2TB M.2 SSD is disconnected for the time being. And thank god I did not have data on it, or I would not be able to access it.

Last edited:
The legacy raid configuration menu (cntrl+ R) is accessed by having the set CSM Support to Enabled.

The UEFI Raid Configuration is accessed by having CSM Support set to Disabled.
After the system reboot, enter BIOS Setup again. Then enter the Peripherals\RAIDXpert2 Configuration Utility sub-menu
On the RAIDXpert2 Configuration Utility screen, press <Enter> on Array Management to enter - the Create Array - screen. Then, select a RAID level
Next, press <Enter> on Select Physical Disks to enter - the Select Physical Disks- screen
On the RAIDXpert2 Configuration Utility screen, press <Enter> on Array Management to enter the Create Array screen.Then, select a RAID level . the Select Physical Disks screen, select the hard drives to be included in the RAID array and set them to Enabled. Next, use the down arrow key to move to Apply Changes

It seems you have some kind of previous OS installation which may be causing problems.

hate-liberals

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2011
Calvin7 thanks for helping out. I'm not sure that you actually have the GigaByte X470 specifically. I tried to follow your steps, but the behavior was NOT what you described.

Starting configuration:
BIOS->CSM Support Enabled
Chipset->SATA Mode Raid
Chipset-:>NVMe Raid Mode Enabled

Rebooted.
Hit DEL to go to BIOS menu (expert menu).
Set BIOS->CSM to Enabled
Save&Exit->Yes
System Reboots
There is no CTRL-R offering, there is no RAID post screen
Some straight black screens with underscore cursor moves around _
System automatically goes straight to BIOS setting screen
In BIOS->Boot #1 it says ATAPI (CD-ROM drive
In BIOS->Boot #2 it says NVMe M.2 (Samsung 970 M.2 SSD, not my O/S disk)
I go to Boot #1 and Boot #2 and set to DISABLED
Save&Exit->Yes
System Reboots
In BIOS->Boot #1 it's still at Disabled
In BIOS->Boot #2 it's still at Disabled
Go to Easy Settings Screen
It shows one line of Windows Boot Manager
Go to Boot Sequence menu
It shows Windows Boot Manager
Click around on that screen a few times.
Go back to main Easy Settings Screen
It now shows two lines of Windows Boot Manager
Save&Exit->Yes
Go to Advanced Bios Settings Screen
In BIOS->Boot #1 it says ATAPI (CD-ROM drive
In BIOS->Boot #2 it says NVMe M.2 (Samsung 970 M.2 SSD, not my O/S disk)
Set BIOS->CSM to Disabled
Go to Easy Settings Screen
It shows one line of Windows Boot Manager
Go to Boot Sequence menu
It shows Windows Boot Manager
Click around on that screen a few times.
Go back to main Easy Settings Screen
It now shows two lines of Windows Boot Manager
Save&Exit->Yes

System reboots to Windows 10 and successfully makes it to the desktop. I have access to my SATA-connected SSD, my SATA-connected 2*1TB RAID array, and my NVMe M.2 2TB internal drive.

So as you can see, whether I have CSM enabled or disabled, the screen NEVER shows a CTRL-R option and it never shows which RAID arrays are available or on-line/off-line. The system cannot boot the operating system on my SATA-connected SSD with CSM Enabled. With CSM Disabled, I can boot to my SATA-connected SSD, which contains my operating system.

Yesterday, I am a 2700X, X470 Aorus Wifi Gaming 7 on BIOS F5, and everything works great.
Today, I am a 3700X, same motherboards and tried all BIOS, F40, F41, F42e, and F50s and none of them fix the problem.

So yes, as the original poster stated, Gigabyte introduced a bug with the RAID functionality when they enabled 3rd Gen Ryzen functionality.

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS