[SOLVED] Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite 4 Beep error - Timer Failure - after 3090 install

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 18, 2020
Hi there, I finally got my EVGA XC3 Ultra 3090 today to replace my previous AMD R9 290x.

I started with the AMD gpu in - uninstalling the AMD driver through control panel, and followed up with a DDU to remove all traces.
Shutdown, and unplugged. Installed the new gpu. Plugged back in, booted up fine, no error beeps, to windows and installed the Nvidia drivers.

I decided to reboot, even though Nvidia doesn't need to, just to make sure its all installed properly and ready to go.

Then the error code started. 4 quick beeps and 1 solid beep. I assumed the solid beep was the normal boot up beep as Gigabyte doesn't mention a code like this, meaning it must be the 4 quick beep = System Timer Failure in manual.

I've done everything from reseating the GPU / RAM (even though I never touched these). Even tried draining out the pc and replacing the cmos battery. RAM is XMP to 3200. I even tried it without XMP and nothing changed.

Nothing worked until I thought I would swap out the GPU to the old AMD one again. Booted with no error codes... Bad GPU? 😞

CPU: AMD 3900x
GPU: EVGA XC3 Ultra 3090 (Old is AMD R9 290x)
MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite Rev.1
PSU: EVGA 1600W Plat (I know its huge, I used to have dual AMD 295x2 and overclocked it a lot)
RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB (2x32GB) DDR4 3200

Thank you for your time!

Solution
Issue fixed. Seems to be right now anyway.

Disabled CSM and a fresh windows installation, and forced PCIe3.0 for now as I am using an extension cable that isn't certified to run PCIe4.0.

Will see what happens after a few tests. But all seems stable right now.
Nov 18, 2020
Issue fixed. Seems to be right now anyway.

Disabled CSM and a fresh windows installation, and forced PCIe3.0 for now as I am using an extension cable that isn't certified to run PCIe4.0.

Will see what happens after a few tests. But all seems stable right now.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.