[SOLVED] Gigabyte X570 UD ATX AM4 Motherboard Question

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
Like many PC gamers out there, I am waiting for both stocks and prices for CPUs and GPUs to normalize before completing my gaming PC. I purchased a Gigabyte X570 UD ATX AM4 Motherboard for my new gaming PC this past Black Friday. For the primary storage for my Windows 10 operating system, I purchased an ADATA XPG GAMMIX S50 1 TB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive. My understanding is that the mentioned SSD supports NVME (NVME version 1.3). I have looked at the specifications for the mentioned motherboard and it mentions NVME on Gigabyte's web site but not on the packaging. My question about the Gigabyte motherboard is does it support NVME? If yes, does NVME mode activate automatically after I install the SSD or do I have to activate it manually? The links for the specs of both the motherboard and SSD are listed below:

X570 UD (rev. 1.0) Key Features | Motherboard - GIGABYTE U.S.A.

XPG GAMMIX S50 PCIe Gen4x4 M.2 2280 Solid State Drive | XPG

Thanks in advance.

Solution
That motherboard has 2 M.2 slots to support your drive, one of those slots however is PCIe 4.0 and the other is 3.0. That NVMe you linked is a 4.0 gen SSD, so make sure you plug it into the 4.0 slot on the motherboard (consult your manual but it's usually the slot closest to the CPU socket).

It should be detected upon bootup and windows installation, double check in BIOS as well if the drive is detected and set to PCIe 4.0.
That motherboard has 2 M.2 slots to support your drive, one of those slots however is PCIe 4.0 and the other is 3.0. That NVMe you linked is a 4.0 gen SSD, so make sure you plug it into the 4.0 slot on the motherboard (consult your manual but it's usually the slot closest to the CPU socket).

It should be detected upon bootup and windows installation, double check in BIOS as well if the drive is detected and set to PCIe 4.0.

Solution

MasterYoda327

Reputable
May 26, 2019
Thank you for the information. Would I be correct in understanding that the motherboard supports NVME and that the NVME mode would either be automatically activated or I would have to activate it manually in the BIOS after I install the SSD in the PCIE 4.0 slot?