Question Gigabyte Z690 Ultra MB, Intel Core i7-12700k CPU and Corsair Hyper 212 Black Edition with Corsair Intel LGA 1700 Mounting Kit

masop

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2006
Good evening. Wow, it's been years since I posted on here. I just picked up a new mb/cpu/mem upgrade to replace my failed skylake setup (Gigabyte Z170X-UD5 w/i7-6700k). I've tried everything to figure out how this mounting kit works with this Heatsink/Fan. It's being installed on a Gigabyte Z690 Ultra Board. After a over an hour, I give up. The directions on the $5 mounting kit box are lame and show a basic round cooler, not any cooler that would be used on this platform. There are no text based directions either. The hardware included in no way will allow this heatsink/fan to be secured to the processor even though Micro Center sells them with it and says the mounting kit is needed. I've got almost 30 years in IT and this has been a nightmare and a total waste of my time. I can't even find a single video or guide online of using this mounting kit with this heatsink/fan for this processor. It's just too new. I think corsair f'd up, or it is not designed for this type of heatsink/fan. Anyone run into this problem? The Mounting Kit Box has a tag on it with Item 9SIAJ83G088739, Model 603005870-GP. The bottom plate installs fine, as do the 4 double ended screws on the top of the board. That is where the fun ends and no combination of the mounting kit and the hardware with the cooler work. Thoughts?

-- masop

Feb 8, 2022
Hey -

I'm a month late so I'm sure you've already figured this out by now, be it with this cooler or a different one. However, I decided to reply to point out something important with this CPU/cooler combo, and to address your original question.

First - I highly recommend NOT using the Hyper-212 with the Alder Lake I7-12700K CPU. It just isn't up to the task. I have it mounted on my I7-12700K at stock speeds on an MSI Edge DDR4 Z690 board. Idle is around 30C which is great, but under load (encoding video) the P cores reach TjMAX and throttle back. Other posts here and elsewhere have confirmed for me that it is a problem with this particular cooler and CPU combo. I used Corsair XTM50 thermal paste applied in an "X" pattern.

The recommendation is to go with a more capable cooler such as the Noctua NH-D15 or an AIO water solution. I'm currently in the midst of my own research and remediation of this, so I'll hopefully remember to come back and report back my findings after swapping this cooler out with a NH-D15.

And for those who ignore the above and are insistent upon using the Hyper-212 with the I7 or better Alder Lake CPU, the way the kit works is you simply screw both of the metal brackets that came with the LGA1700 kit to the underside of the 212 (each one flares toward the outside, with the final assembly in an "X" pattern.) The LGA1700 bracket kit comes with the two screws for this (you do not use ANY of the additional hardware that came with the Hyper-212!) Place the backplate on the backside of your motherboard with its screw hole standoffs protruding through the 4 motherboard holes. The cooler screws and the 4 holes should now generally line up and you would just screw them down in an alternating pattern like any other cooler, after applying thermal paste.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2022
Ah, nice catch. That would do it.

Well I replaced my Hyper-212 w/ a Noctua NH-D15. Using both fans (with the back one offset by 10-12mm due to RAM clearance) I'm idling about 4-5C cooler near 25-26C, and encoding now runs near 70C. No more throttling which is great.

With the Noctua, I applied the included Noctua thermal paste and in the pattern that they suggested for an LGA1700 - one 4mm dot in the center and four 2mm dots in the corners (one in each corner, for a total of 5 dots of paste).