Gigabyte Z97 Gaming 5 No Boot No Bios

joeblog33man

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
So I have a Gigabyte Z97x- Gaming 5 Motherboard, and i7-4790K. When the power button is pressed, the fans start up, the led on the motherboard lights up, but no BIOS appears, and the keyboard, mouse and screen don't get any signal from the PC. Here;s the strange part, when I remove the RAM and place it in a different slot, the PC will turn on and the BIOS will boot. But after the PC shuts down, and I attempt to start up the PC again, I encounter the same problem all over again, fans on, LED on, but no BIOS. I have done this multiple times, and moving the RAM around the slots every time works.

Troubleshooting.

Removed GPU - same problem
Swapped out RAM for definitely working RAM - same problem
Tried a old backup motherboard- Boots correctly
BIOS Reset - Same problem

It appears to be a motherboard issue, but I have no idea how to solve it.

Solution
So after an entire rebuild it worked but quickly relapsed. Ended up noticing that the BIOS was not up to date. Updated the BIOS. All appears to be working now. Thanks.

Sounds like you have a dead memory slot. Try slots A2/B2 then A1/B1.

joeblog33man

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
So after an entire rebuild it worked but quickly relapsed. Ended up noticing that the BIOS was not up to date. Updated the BIOS. All appears to be working now. Thanks.

Solution
Dec 18, 2018
Started to have this same problem just now after trying to install new Windows 10. This time using the MediaCreationTool which Microsoft is offering via their website I created a bootable USB drive with W10 installation on it. After 2 boots and 2 bluescreens right after bios post screen I now have this issue where I have to take off 1 RAM stick and put it back on to be able to boot my PC from shutdown. Cmos reset or taking the battery off didn't help.

Gigabyte Z97X Gaming 3 (Rev1.0)
Latest Bios F8d
Crucial 2x4GB Ballistix Tactical