Global Internet Freedom On The Decline In 2014

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dovah-chan

Honorable
Let's start by asking ourselves a few questions.

Why do governments want to spy on us?

Because they are afraid of our newfound freedom which includes our ability to communicate rapidly as well as anonymously reveal sensitive information.

Why do they think they have the right to censor some websites and content?

Because they are an authority figure. They are now becoming what makes the decisions on what you can and can't like. They don't want any reform or protests going on. (How sad that they feel the need to protect their interests from their own citizens)

If people aren't happy with their government then why do they live there?

Because not everyone can afford to move to another country. That involves a lot of paperwork which can be rejected by their country if they feel the need to do so.

Well I have nothing to hide. All I do is browse social media sites all day. Why should I care if they spy on me?

Because they are violating your rights as a human being. You have a right to your own privacy. They could use your information to paint you in a bad light or convict you of very minor offenses that probably shouldn't be crimes. This also limits your ability to speak out against injustice.

Coming from one of the most offensive sites in the world (encyclopedia dramatica) I find governments trying to spy on us because of their extreme insecurity and lack of trust in their own citizens, very offending.

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006

I am so sorry you see things that way. It is always easier to blame others for your problems than to assume responsibility for your own problems. Perhaps if you were to look more closely at where your opinions come from, you just might find someone trying to brainwash you into fighting their war for them.

wiad

Honorable
Nov 1, 2012
This comment has been removed due to a local government request

How ironic that on an article about the restriction of internet freedom by the government that a comment was censored by the government!

Status
Not open for further replies.