News Global IT issue strikes Windows machines, cause of issue allegedly linked to CrowdStrike software update

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Thankfully we don't use this in our environment. I woke up to my teams chat going crazy this morning and had to remind everyone we are good.

We don't have this either, for the reason painted in glowing neon letters.

This is why you do not trust "cloud" services for critical system capabilities. One button push by someone you don't even know can take down your entire enterprise. Just imagine giving someone an internet "off" button and then watching as hackers everywhere attempt to take control of it.

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
We don't have this either, for the reason painted in glowing neon letters.

This is why you do not trust "cloud" services for critical system capabilities. One button push by someone you don't even know can take down your entire enterprise. Just imagine giving someone an internet "off" button and then watching as hackers everywhere attempt to take control of it.
Is the cloud aspect even relevant here? This isn't a case of clients being unable to access some needed resource because it's in the cloud and that cloud is down. It was an update to a locally installed application, causing the local machines to crash.

Is the cloud aspect even relevant here? This isn't a case of clients being unable to access some needed resource because it's in the cloud and that cloud is down. It was an update to a locally installed application, causing the local machines to crash.
Yup the news media isn't smart enough to understand how bad this is. They only see the airplanes that are not flying.

Many companies have this software loaded on all their work from home clients. In many cases the actual user has no admin access and in addition many of these machine have bitlocker on them and all the keys are at the main office. They have to ship the laptop in many cases.......and it seems UPS is also affected :(

Reactions: slightnitpick

RyzenNoob

Reputable
Jul 13, 2020
At least they didn't blame it on China and Russia hackers and all the other so called baddies. After all, who needs them when the world can be crippled by automatic updates that haven't been tested

Colif

Win 11 Master
This is a wake up call.

Why are so many companies all using same software? I see one Airline in US didn't use it and still runs fine. Rest need to diversify

One untested update brings down entire system... if you going to rely on one bit of software it has to be bullet proof. Not haphazardly released like this.

Anything being done about 2038? Or we all just ignoring it?

rgd1101

Don't
cyber insurance required some form of it. and crowdstrike is(was) the top dog.
it is like the old saying. can't go wrong with IBM(when they were still matter)

yeah, we have some rpg program that have 2038 issue. haven't done anything.

Reactions: bit_user

mhmarefat

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
I am not a security expert, but is it time for Microsoft to be allowed to harden the kernel? There is no way any external program should be able to crash the machine. I know many of the security companies insist on hooks into core system components and antitrust rules obliged MS to comply/provide... but is it time to revisit?
It wont protect us from MS messing up... but would be overall "better"?
From Win 8 upwards, the philosophy of Microsoft has been that WE own your PC. Right now if you decide to install another OS on your PC, Microsoft's SecureBoot will NOT ALLOW THE OTHER OS TO BOOT.

USAFRet

Titan

mhmarefat

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
you can't know which individuals were responsible or what factors fed into this decisions behind this problem.
Who was it? Who did it? Please someone!! Because we sure as hell know it had nothing to do with CrowdStrike or Microsoft! No! These two are completely clean.

mhmarefat

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2013
You just need to disable Secure Boot.
Why is a technology implemented on HARDWARE level that prevents me from installing other OS than Microsoft's?!

Also, average user does not know how to even enter BIOS let alone disable SecureBoot (if they have even heard that name once in their life)!! They will just remove Linux and proceed to Windows, thinking they "lack" knowledge to install/use Linux and move on. Not knowing MS has INVADED their PC on hardware level!

Last edited:

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
From Win 8 upwards, the philosophy of Microsoft has been that WE own your PC. Right now if you decide to install another OS on your PC, Microsoft's SecureBoot will NOT ALLOW THE OTHER OS TO BOOT.
You can boot most popular Linux distros (e.g. Ubuntu) with secureboot enabled without issue. For any other OS you can just manually add the boot loader in question to the allowed list via your UEFI secureboot settings. I've ran non-Windows OSs with secureboot enabled for years.

Edit: This is with a home-built system. Maybe OEM machines have their secureboot settings locked down harder such that they refuse to boot anything other than Windows, I don't know.

USAFRet

Titan
Why is a technology implemented on HARDWARE level that prevents me from installing other OS than Microsoft's?!

Also, average user does not know how to even enter BIOS let alone disable SecureBoot (if they have even heard that name once in their life)!! They will just remove Linux and proceed to Windows, thinking they "lack" knowledge to install/use Linux and move on. Not knowing MS has INVADED their PC on hardware level!
An "average user" does not set up a dual boot system.
They start with, and stay with, whatever OS the system came with when they took it out of the box.

Reactions: TJ Hooker

TJ Hooker

Titan
Ambassador
Allowed by who!? My masters at Microsoft? I thought I owned my PC?
Wow! White washing predatory corporate tactics in Tom's Hardware!
As I said, you can whitelist whatever OS you want (with the most popular ones being whitelisted by default). In other words, it's controlled by you. Having every possible OS whitelisted by default would defeat the purpose of secure boot. In which case, as USAFRet said, you can simply disable it if that's what you want. And the odds that some is both technically savvy enough to be installing an OS other than Windows or Ubuntu/Debian-based Linux (which work out-of-the-box with secureboot enabled, in my experience), but not savvy enough to disable a single setting in their UEFI, is practically zero.

slightnitpick

Upstanding
Nov 2, 2023
The old expression: Too many eggs in one basket... springs to mind.

Whilst it may be cheaper and efficient to use cloud services to replace on site infrastructure, there are some serious negatives too.
The best and most appropriate solution is to look for other vendors who provide an equivalent service. Vote with your $$$.
This is a wake up call.

Why are so many companies all using same software? I see one Airline in US didn't use it and still runs fine. Rest need to diversify
Given this, the recent car dealership issue, and the various just-in-time supply chain failures, we need new antitrust laws that make resilience and national security an antitrust issue.

Even at the monopoly level things could be done such as having multiple teams creating multiple variations of the software so that no one error or exploit could take them all down.

bit_user

Titan
Ambassador
Given this, the recent car dealership issue, and the various just-in-time supply chain failures, we need new antitrust laws that make resilience and national security an antitrust issue.

Even at the monopoly level things could be done such as having multiple teams creating multiple variations of the software so that no one error or exploit could take them all down.
Or more open source solutions. I know it's not a panacea, but opening up the software means more people can do audits on it to find bugs and other problems. I'm not saying this would be manual - a lot of what people currently do is in the form of automated static and dynamic analysis.

Another option might be to have some sort of regulation or certification. Obviously, you couldn't certify individual releases of a security software package that needs to roll out promptly enough to deal with zero day attacks, but you could certify the development & testing process.

Last edited: