Glu Shutting Down Multiplayer for GameSpy-based PC Titles

Status
Not open for further replies.

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
NOOOO Halo 1!! I'll miss you and the many hours of fun and gameplay you provided...
Halo CE is still incredibly popular.. With some of even the newer Halo 3, 4, ODST etc levels and weapons recreated.

I'm going to miss it a lot.

_Cubase_

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2009
Ah those were the days, logging into GameSpy (cue robot drone voice: "Welcome to GameSpy") and looking for the closest Quake II servers, and occasionally finding one or two servers for the really old legacy games. *sniff* *sob* If anybody needs me, I will be in 165.226.453.202 drinking ports.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
I wonder if Glu was shedding money from this or they thought they could extort even more money out of these devs by dropping the service first as a shock.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
to anyone interested, glu only made 79 million dollars, and lost a net of 18 million,

in that respect, they arent exactly being greedy, but they really are so far in the red i doubt they will see the light.

memadmax

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2011
GameSpy hasn't been updating its crap for years now...

It's been a dead stick for quite sometime.
Tried to get a good MOHAA game going but it just refused to work....

oh well.....

DirectXtreme

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
[citation][nom]fractalsphere[/nom]I was still using gamespy for Quake 3 games, though few and far between. Glu won't be getting any of MY business.[/citation]
So that explains why there were no servers available when I refreshed the server browser today. Damn... guess I'll have to find the IP addresses and store those servers.

DirectXtreme

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2011
[citation][nom]DirectXtreme[/nom]So that explains why there were no servers available when I refreshed the server browser today. Damn... guess I'll have to find the IP addresses and store those servers.[/citation]
Nevermind... For some reason it didn't work on ioquake3 but it did on my Steam installation...

volkov956

Distinguished
Oct 11, 2009
interesting time to dig up that old info regarding host file and bypassing gamespy network but I have no idea where I put it all....

signothorn

Honorable
Mar 29, 2012
If there is a LAN option, just use Tunngle, we still use it to play Vampire the Masquerade: Redemption and we survived the WoN system going dark. 12 years later and we still have games.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
This is why multi-player based middleware is always bad in the end. Nothing lasts forever and it may cause the games in question to still be desired to be played but without a method to do so. When you pass the task off to a 3rd party and make your product completely dependent on them you're taking a huge gamble.

The best method to do it is the old way. With dedicated servers and a Master server. If the Master server support gets pulled it's always possible to replace it like in the case of Tribes 2. It went from a community yelling Shazbot out of frustration of the death of the best game ever to back to yelling Shazbot because the great player known as NuclearShadow hit them while in mid air with the Spinfusor as God intended. Everybody wins! Especially me.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
So they force multi player connections (even lan in some cases) through a third party service and then one day its shut down making the title's multiplayer component useless.

To the devs of thoose titles - Ty so much for taking my money and then a while later say sorry your product is now crippeled and useless if your mostly into multiplayer...

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
GLU should die... since they do not know how to operate like the "industry-recognized leadership" they claim to have purchased.

And YES - this is exactly **WHY** I was rather upset that *I* was required to have a gamespy account in order to play UT3 multi-player. WHY WHY? What idiot thought this would be a good idea? Most UT players don't give a rats ass how they rate to others on the internet.

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
Rebellion said it shares the disappointment of fans who have played Sniper Elite since 2005. "This is not something we intended or wanted to happen, but unfortunately it has been beyond our control,"

Then why did you make it beyond your control?

This kind of dumbassery should have got the people in charge / decision fired.
How dumb can you be of course you will be milked. Of course this won't work well.

I have nothing against middleware personally.
But this setup is just asking for trouble.

And dumbass consumers/customers asking for this feature.
Company owned servers that cost money for a free service?
It's unattainable. Dumbass people who ask this.

We need ways to do server discovery completely decentralized.
New developments in file sharing made this possible. Let's use that.

The kind of service GLU/gamespy provides should be left to die by developers.
For game companies this can only be a useless overhead and distract from the core business.

Status
Not open for further replies.