GNOME 3.0 Next-Gen Linux Desktop Launched

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Just looking at the screenshot I dislike it. Bars on every side of the screen.

I'd take the side bars and bottom bar and integrate them into the top bar. To make space I'd remove it showing what I assume is the current user's name. Taking everything Windows does on 1 bar and putting it on 4 does not make a better UI it just clutters the screen.

Sgt Moo

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
good lord that's hideous, that's as bad as the last youtube redesign, GNOME 2 please. What is with designers tryna make interfaces and layouts "aerodynamic" all it does is make things look terrible and sacrifices screen real-estate. the Windows 8 ribbon for Explorer is looking realy bad, sacrificing a lot of screen space in what looks to be an attempt to do away with the right click menu. This looks like an attempt to make the shell compatible across desktop screens and tablet/netbook screen sizes

G

stm1185: That's not there all the time, there's a "start button" that launches you into a parallel universe of window switching and application launching. The actual desktop is quite minimal.

jryan388

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2009
And to all you that are complaining about the multiple bars, I seriously doubt that's more than a dashboard-type feature. As such it's better than Apple's.

G

I can see that no one here has used gnome 3. The side bars are only there when moving the mouse into the upper left corner. The default setup only has the top bar which is the same width as on of the default widths for a gnome 2 bar. Which means that the interface is actually the least cluttered out of Windows, and Mac, and KDE.

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
[citation][nom]mlopinto2k1[/nom]What does anyone need Linux for again?[/citation]
It's good for embedded platforms and servers, but it sucks big time for desktop.

Horhe

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2008
[citation][nom]Flameout[/nom]because they'll never take our freedom![/citation]
Haven't you heard? Open source software is un-American and communist.

/sarcasm, though some people really think that.

sudeshc

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2009
looks amazing will give it a try............
Linux once had a bright future which is fading away..........
They should focus more over the desktop.

pclee

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2011
Looks like tablet for the PC to me. I installed Ubuntu on my spare laptop a year ago and things a great...darn thing is blazing fast now. If the next Ubuntu upgrade has GNOME 3.0 then I'll have it.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Horhe[/nom]It's good for embedded platforms and servers, but it sucks big time for desktop.[/citation] Agreed. Point blank.
[citation][nom]Flameout[/nom]because they'll never take our freedom![/citation] You get what you pay for.
[citation][nom]Crazy Hitchhiker[/nom]Be gone, troll! Back to your cave hence you came![/citation] Not everyday will be a happy day, princess! Linux sucks... stop trying to convince yourself it's equalz to Windowz.

Avariche

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2006
Linux does what it does well. Some users need Windows,they use Windows. Some users need OSX, they use OSX. Some users need Linux, they use Linux. And they will customize it, and make it their own. And free too. And free is good. Like bacon, but saltier. I have all 3 at home, and each has their purpose. And they do it well.

Status
Not open for further replies.