GNU GRUB; where do I start?

Sean_34

Reputable
Feb 5, 2016
Long story short: bought a used laptop (Dell Inspiron 5551) with Win10 and Ubuntu bootloader installed, don't know what happened but I can't access Win10 anymore, can only access GNU GRUB (version 2.02~beta3-4ubuntu7). Bought a new 2.5" drive but can't use USB to clean install Windows onto new drive, most likely because of this bug.

Plan A: I have a USB to sata cable coming to install Windows onto my new 2.5" from another computer.

Plan B: until that comes, where do I learn to use GNU GRUB? I've always wanted to get into Linux, but this is way over my head. I don't know where to even start.

That bug was corrected very quickly so if you have Ubuntu 17.10 that was installed during the 3 week period that the bug existed, then just download a different version of Ubuntu. More than likely your Ubuntu was not created during that three week period that the bug existed and you do not have the bug.

If you did create the Ubuntu installation during the three week period that the bug existed and connected your PC to the internet afterward, then Ubuntu updates fixed the bug automatically. If you did create the Ubuntu installation during the three week period that the bug existed and have never hooked up to the internet since then, just create a new Ubuntu installation.

Plan A is impossible because you can not load Windows 10 from one computer to another. You need a USB stick or a DVD.

Plan B is to just use Ubuntu and get into GParted and see what your partition table looks like. Post the results here. You do not need to learn about GRub. I have used Linux for years and I know next to nothing about Grub. It is not knowledge that will ever come in handy to use a computer.