Go with OS on a SSD or HDD?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex52nl

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Greetings Friends, i need some help to decide if i should go with an "HDD Western digital" 1TB or with a "Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB"?
i'm gooing to build a new system, my frist idea was just instal a HDD Western digital 1TB, but for just 10$ more i can get this Kingston SSDNow V300 240GB, but i don't know if is a good idea, so i have a few doubts:

1- in question of install OS, is the same has a HDD?
2- i see there are others SDD with the same size "240GB" with differents prices, i believe this one is the cheapest one, in this case is worth to buy this one or save some for a better SDD?
3- and if in case it's worth to save some money for a better SDD, can i later transfer easy my OS from a HDD to a SDD?

Solution

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-yphv-2033 here is how you backup and recover steam games ;) and the drive cloning from hdd to...

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
Many will tell you to get an 850 evo for the SSD. It is a great ssd and I have a 1tb one for my steam/uplay/origin games, but those kingston v300 drives are good. Before I got a 950 pro, I was using that drive. It ran fine, never died or anything. I say get it. It's cheap and good enough for a smooth os experience.

Love me some SSDs. I highly recommend you at least put your OS on one. It makes everything snappier, not just the boot and app loading. I mostly use Crucial MX and Samsung Pro models, but I have used Kingston's drives and they work just fine as far as speed and reliability. I would just get one, don't mess with transferring from HD to SSD, its a hassle.

njxc500

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2008
1- Install of OS is the same procedure, but will complete in half the time
2- The Kingston SSD's all operate well, I've used many.
3- No, always install the OS fresh, don't attempt a clone.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009
The kingstons are fine. They are budget drives and they give budget performance. When I had windows 10 installed on my v300 it felt the same as my 950 pro feels now. Things were snappy, and felt way better than any hhd. OP. The kingston is fine for a smooth os experience.

D

Deleted member 217926

Read the article before posting they are 'fine'. They are a ripoff. And I get it, you have a 950 Pro. You've said it twice in two posts now despite it being irrelevant to this conversation. I have one too.

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

I did read the article. My having a 950 pro is VERY relevant to the topic. If the new hotness pcie 950 pro doesn't feel ANY different than the cheap low end v300 in desktop and day to day use, then that means the v300 is fine for that task. Here's the thing, the op wants the v300. If you're so set on the 850, you send him the cost difference out of your pocket so that he can get one of the same size over the v300

Alex52nl

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
thank's friends for your helping out, but i'm getting lost here :(, so let'me ask, i am not a heavy gamer, i normally play games like "american truck", "euro truck", or "tom raider", most of my games are from steam... at most i will be using 200 GB, has my old PC with games, and windows 7, it's using 173GB, will the HDD western digital do a good performance for these games? and cloning the OS from one HDD to SSD will afect performance, :( my internet connection still ADSL (FSX takes up 5 hours to downdload) so if possible i want to avoid download the games from steam twice.

jakegroves

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

No-one cares if you have a 950 or 850. The 850evo is £72GBP for 240gb and the 950evo £144 for 256GB that is double the price. The difference between a 850 and 950 was not the topic, nor did he ask for a v-nand nvme ssd xD
As anort3 clearly demonstrated the kingston is shocking, and yes it's £51 which is £21 cheaper than the samsung 850evo, but we don't need to know about your amazing 950 pro :L

jakegroves

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=8794-yphv-2033 here is how you backup and recover steam games ;) and the drive cloning from hdd to samsung ssd doesn't affect performance :p but yes a HDD will be fine for games i install most my games on HDD and only some on my SSD's

Solution

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

Mod edit: Who cares how much the 850 and 950 cost. That is not the issue. The issue is that the op wanted a v300 which I have and I told him it was fine. One of the mods for some dumb reason linked to a post abut how they use slower nand.

I replied that I have one and and the new hotness in the 950 and cant tell any difference in day to day use between the two. That was said to show that there is nothing wrong with the v300 if the op wants a smooth snappy desktop experience. Are you guys kinda slow or something?

D

Deleted member 217926

Calm it down and be civil. There is a difference between posting facts backed with sources and making personal attacks and calling people names.

If you want to recommend a gimped drive because you own one feel free but in the interest of honesty you need to recognize and point out it's a gimped drive and literally one of the worst SSDs on the market. There are better for roughly the same price.

Alex52nl

Honorable
Jan 26, 2014
Thank's friends for all of your help, i know some say yes to my question and others say no, but the real reason of my question was if buying the "v300" has a good deal, so later i didn't have to change or cloning the OS, because even if i was going with the "v300" i was still needed one HDD for data, so in this case, i use the HDD for now, and save some money for a really good SSD and reuse the HDD for data, and once again thank's friends

tical2399

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2009

I was being civil at first until you started on your nonsense. The facts you linked were irrelevant. You went on about how the v300 uses slower nand. What does that have to do with my point of the v300 which the op initially mentioned being good enough a general boot drive?

Anybody can link to a factual article, but if its not related to whats being discussed then that makes it uses. This wasnt a post about the best performance ssd. He wanted some thing cheap that would work well. As someone that owned and used this drive as a my os drive, I can state from first hand expedience that it works fine for the stated purpose. That statement is factual AND relevant.

jakegroves

Reputable
Jan 31, 2015

what the hell man your contradicting yourself all over the place?

the post owner said for $10 more he can get the v300 and didn't know if it was a good idea. It is a bad idea because its a garbage Ssd which anort3 posted the article with the performance on. Which is completely relatbl.

Apparently he wanted something cheap? Yet you post the samsung 950 evo which is alot of money :L

If your going to say the v300 is a good boot drive, then do you not know anything about ssd speeds or how the windows caching system works?
The fact is the samsung 850 evo is the most popular drive because its the best or one of the best performance/£($) drive in the market still.

Status
Not open for further replies.