Going from AHCI to RAID

vivithemage

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
So I installed OS as AHCI, flipped the regedit to 0 for iastorv and boots up, changed bios to RAID and setup the array for the two SSD's, and everything works, but performance is weird.

530MB/s Reads, and 830MB/s writes, seems backwards, and low (both samsungs are on sata 6)? Also, I cannot see drive stats in IRST software anymore, it just shows up as unknowns. one array with 2 disks, and 1 solo disk (my boot).

did I do something wrong?

motherboard : ASUS P8Z77-I DELUXE
IRST version : 11.2
2 raid drives : samsung 830 256GB with latest firmware
1 OS drive : Crucial M4 128GB latest firmware

any insight?

chugot9218

Honorable
I don't think you receive a performance benefit from RAID using SSD's, I didn't look up to see what the performance should be from one drive so someone else may have to address that. I also have heard benchmarking tools for SSD's can reduce the overall life of the drive as well, just a heads up.

ittimjones

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2012
You installed the OS on 1 drive, then set that drive, and another, up in RAID?

Was it just RAID 1? That's the only way I can think of this being possible.

If you did RAID 0:
You should have done it the other way around. Idk how it's even still booting how you did it.

vivithemage

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
My main drive is 1 SSD, that is where the OS is installed.

The raid 0 is my two Samsung 830's. The reason I raided them was not for performance, but because I wanted to throw data on as if it was one drive. But notably, performance was weird.

Raid 0 provides trim via IRST, so that is why I ask :

http://www.anandtech.com/show/6161/intel-brings-trim-to-raid0-ssd-arrays-on-7series-motherboards-we-test-it

But did flipping from AHCI to RAID in my BIOS somehow affect the reporting? Should I have gotten new drivers or anything? Reinstall IRST ?

shiftstealth

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2009
This is a bit different but when i cloned my hdd over to my ssd it would use the hdd as the read write drive and the SSD somehow it used both drives to boot. Depending on how you have it set up it may be testing both arrays at once.

When you open my computer it shows 2 drives right?

vivithemage

Honorable
Oct 23, 2012
Okay, maybe I need to get more detailed on what I did.

Built new computer, plugged in Crucial M4 128GB into sata 3gb/s port, installed Windows 7 with BIOS set to AHCI. Installed 11.2 intel IRST

Flipped reg key for iastorv from 3 to 0, so I could change BIOS to go from AHCI to RAID...booted. Works, great, but Intel IRST now shows the drive as unknown, but everything works.

Received my two Samsung 830 256GB drives a few days later, plugged them into the SATA 6gb/s ports, configured them via CTRL - I before Windows booted. Set them up as a raid 0 strip.

Got into windows, formatted the single drive as MBR, because it was a raid array less then 2TB, it did not show up as two drives, it showed up as one. Works fine, albeit that performance quirk + not showing up in IRST now.

Now that I am thinking about it, maybe I should have set the raid up via Windows and flip it back to AHCI?