[SOLVED] Good build but Bad FPS, whats wrong?

Miosegami

Commendable
Jul 25, 2017
so this is my boyfriend's build, and he's having FPS drops, his frames are like 70-80 with this build
. I have a more entry level build than his and yet have better fps of 145. I'm trying to find a solution and have zero idea why his rig will be underperforming mine. His video card NVidia GeForce 1070.

unknown.png

Solution
AM3/AM3+ is a 100% dead end...

Naturally, if opting for AM4 board, there is an automatic need for DDR4 as well...

That being the case, unless 2600s are dirt cheap, the 3600 is quite popular!!!! (But you'd want a B450 board that supports BIOS flashback without needing a CPU to update BIOS, as most B450 boards need a BIOS update before they'd work w/ R5-3600....and with a GTX1070 class of GPU...I'd want the 3600)
GOod luck whichever way you pursue...
Aug 10, 2019
Its the CPU. Your cpu is bottle necking your graphics card. Those AMD chips were decent when they were relevant, but now they are obsolete. When I upgraded from a 9370 to an i5 6600k my frames went up about 40-50fps.

During that era Intel kicked AMD's ass.

Miosegami

Commendable
Jul 25, 2017
Its the CPU. Your cpu is bottle necking your graphics card. Those AMD chips were decent when they were relevant, but now they are obsolete. When I upgraded from a 9370 to an i5 6600k my frames went up about 40-50fps.

During that era Intel kicked AMD's ass.

with his current motherboard, what CPU would you recommend for an upgrade?

Aug 10, 2019
with his current motherboard, what CPU would you recommend for an upgrade?
With the current motherboard the best cpu he can get is the 9590, but make sure it has a good cooler cuz they run hot. However, you are better off finding an used intel chip and board. i5 6600k and a z170 or z270 board w/ ddr 4 ram would be the better route.

or go for a ryzen chip 2000 series and board are cheap now.

Aug 23, 2019
Hi! I know last response was like 2 weeks ago and I'm not sure if it matters or not. I noticed his CPU 8-Core is only showing 4 cores. Did he reinstall Windows after upgrading? If not then perhaps that could also be a potential reason for lacking fps? I'm still a pleb in this area so I may be wrong on that, though.

Hopefully helpful,
LastGamerName

AM3/AM3+ is a 100% dead end...

Naturally, if opting for AM4 board, there is an automatic need for DDR4 as well...

That being the case, unless 2600s are dirt cheap, the 3600 is quite popular!!!! (But you'd want a B450 board that supports BIOS flashback without needing a CPU to update BIOS, as most B450 boards need a BIOS update before they'd work w/ R5-3600....and with a GTX1070 class of GPU...I'd want the 3600)
GOod luck whichever way you pursue...

Solution
Hi! I know last response was like 2 weeks ago and I'm not sure if it matters or not. I noticed his CPU 8-Core is only showing 4 cores. Did he reinstall Windows after upgrading? If not then perhaps that could also be a potential reason for lacking fps? I'm still a pleb in this area so I may be wrong on that, though.

Hopefully helpful,
LastGamerName
This is normal for the old FX series. Although it’s called an 8 core cpu the cores are grouped into pairs that share resources. Because of this they are often reported as a 4 core.

TRENDING THREADS