Question Good monitor with KVM switch built in?

Tim F

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hi all,

I've been looking at KVM switches and have found these so expensive for the type I need, I may as well look at a new monitor with one built in.

I enjoy gaming (although I'm not amazing at it). I also do a lot of office work. I have a main PC and two laptops. At a minimum I would like to be able to plug the PC and a single laptop in. Budget up to £800 or so....

Any ideas?

Thanks, Tim

Ralston18

Titan
What "type" KVM do you need? Are you in some sort of proprietary environment?

Specifically what ports are required?

USB, PS/2, DVI-x, VGA, HDMI, DP.... etc..? Plugs & port genders must be noted as well.

Also: remember that you will likely need to purchase the necessary cables between the served computers (PCs and laptop). So sketch in the computers' ports and genders as well. Gender changers could be needed - hopefully not.

Are you able to sketch out the requirements?

There are four port KVM's (One keyboard, one mouse, one monitor being used to connect to any one of four computers).

I would not go with a monitor/KVM combination.

Any problems with that monitor would likely leave you with limited capabilities other than the laptop.

Tim F

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Just at home, so nothing special.

PC has DVI Dual, HDMI and Displayport.
Apple Macbook with HDMI and Displayport mini
PC laptop with HDMI

I am aware of the KVM switches but they're so expensive it may make little sense to get one.

If I can get a monitor with the ability to switch inputs and use the same keyboard and mouse, that's pretty much it.

Cheers, Tim