Good PC bad fps in games

May 4, 2018
Geforce GTX 1070 ti
i5-7600k @ 3.8 ghz w/ liquid cooling
16 GB DDR4 RAM

Title pretty much says it. For the most part I get decent fps in all games, but for example in League of Legends, fps is fine until I get into combat with other players, then it drops to a measly 20 to 30 fps. This suddenly started happening a while ago. I've installed older drivers, ran malwarebytes, did a full system restore, nothing. I even took it took a local computer shop, and they said it was my internet because I play on wifi and they were on ethernet, and they had no problems with frames. But that cannot be, because since then my internet has upgraded, and I still get this weird fps drop.

Also not sure if this would matter but YouTube videos suddenly freeze but audio continues to play just fine, this started happening around the time the fps drops came.

If you have any questions about my PC I will try to answer them to the best of my ability. Honestly I'm pretty confused as to what the problem is, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I'm honestly surprised that nobody has answered quite yet. I apologize on their behalf. I was having similar issues a few years back, the issue ended up being my PC was in low power mode instead of a balanced plan for whatever reason. That's the first place I'd start. In response to the PC shop's claims, most games have a feature that shows ping (latency in certain cases). Be sure to turn that on, and monitor it when you see the FPS drop. If it's over 100, there's an issue. However, I don't quite understand why the internet would be at fault, since you'd have to deal with desync and lag, not physical FPS hits.

May 4, 2018
Thanks for the reply!

I do have my PC on high performance mode so I don't think it could be that, and I agree with you on what the shop claimed. I will also make sure to keep an eye out for MS spikes when my fps spikes.

As for a solution, I've done some research on my own, and I've come across a few things, but the problem that stands out the most to me is my CPU might be thermal throttling. I'm going to use MSI Afterburner to monitor my temps next time I play any game and see if thats where the problem lies

That's a good start, however, I'm not sure if it's due to thermal throttling. That only occurs when the CPU is under a heavy workload, and youtube shouldn't be that hard to run. Test it anyways. Also, don't forget about latency testing. You'll want to test that so if you end up bringing the PC back to the shop, they can't say that it's the cause.

May 4, 2018
So turns out my NZXT Kraken liquid cooler was faulty! Was checking my temps and they were obnoxiously high even when idling, like upwards of 85 C, so I just plugged in one of my old CPU fans and now the temp is hovering around 30 idling. Afterwards I started up World of Warcraft, a pretty CPU intensive game, went to a crowded area, and the FPS was as smooth as a baby's bottom! Thanks for your help man!