Good RAM for APU?

PANZER4

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Ok, the forum just wiped my post, so I'm going to be quick cause I can't be stuffed typing it all over again
1. High frequency or low latency RAM for APU's. which is better?
2. If you want can you help me pick some? Budget is $70 for RAM
sites...
http://www.mwave.com.au
http://www.pccasegear.com

PANZER4

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
Thanks for the advice
I like your recommendation, but will it run natively at that speed? Or will I have to do some tweaking to get it to run at its rated speed? I'm willing to dig around in the BIOS, but I can't seem to find any recent guides on how to tweak memory.

D

Deleted member 217926

^ Yep. Nothing to it. You just have to go in the memory section of the BIOS and manually set the speed to 2133, the voltage to 1.65v and the timings. It's no big deal and there will step by step guides online and even on youtube on how to do it.

D

Deleted member 217926

DDR4 is not being used yet.

Higher speed is better and lower latency is better.

A standard Intel or AMD CPU has an integrated memor controller ( IMC ) that just does not need RAM faster than DDR3 1600. There are a few exceptions such as professional video editing that a relatively small increase in performance ( like 1-5% tops ) will pay for itself over time. In gaming there is even less of a performance boost it literally is ~1%.

Unlike a traditional CPU an APU will take advantage of the faster RAM.

PANZER4

Honorable
Jul 2, 2012
The motherboard is a bit hard to pick because there are so many different things you have to consider. I don't really want to spend past $100, and I like ASRock, so I was considering their FM2 pro4 motherboard

D

Deleted member 217926

Case is up to you, you are the one that has to live with it. ;)

As to a PSU if you are only running the APU and no discreet graphics then a 250-300w power supply would be fine. It's hard to find a quality unit under 350 watts though. Antec has some good units in that range. Stick with Corsair, Seasonic, PC Power and Cooling, XFX, Silverstone, Enermax, OCZ and Antec for quality brands.

Glad I could help!

JJ1217

Honorable

Does the 1.65V damaging Intel CPU's also apply to AMD cpus? Not sure about that.

D

Deleted member 217926

Does the 1.65V damaging Intel CPU's also apply to AMD cpus? Not sure about that.

Nope that only applies to Sandy and Ivy Bridge CPUs.

I read somewhere that the X58 i7s were the ones that were sensitive to higher voltages, not the other more modern chips

No, it's the newest ones. The first gen Core i series was designed to use with first gen DDR3 and the old stuff was almost all 1.65v.