Good value encoder wanted for (X)SVCD

Hi,

I'd like some recommendations for a reasonable and good value MPEG2
encoder for a (X)SVCD. I used to have a Hi8 camcorder and had a
Pinnacle DC10+ which came with Studio 7. I used to find that I got
acceptable encodes using its SVCD template.

Now I have bought a MiniDV camcorder (and my DC10+ no longer works)
I am capturing using DVin directly so the quality of the captured
Video is better than before. However I find that encoding to SVCD
specifications I get much worse results, with loads of "blocking" and
motion problems. I can't think why this is, but I am thinking of
getting a better editor/encoder program, as long as it's quite cheap.
I've exhausted my budget now!

Can someone recommend a better MPEG2 encoder that is cheap (or free)
that works well at SVCD bitrates?

<nospam@home.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> I'd like some recommendations for a reasonable and good value MPEG2
> encoder for a (X)SVCD. I used to have a Hi8 camcorder and had a
> Pinnacle DC10+ which came with Studio 7. I used to find that I got
> acceptable encodes using its SVCD template.
>
> Now I have bought a MiniDV camcorder (and my DC10+ no longer works)
> I am capturing using DVin directly so the quality of the captured
> Video is better than before. However I find that encoding to SVCD
> specifications I get much worse results, with loads of "blocking" and
> motion problems. I can't think why this is, but I am thinking of
> getting a better editor/encoder program, as long as it's quite cheap.
> I've exhausted my budget now!
>
> Can someone recommend a better MPEG2 encoder that is cheap (or free)
> that works well at SVCD bitrates?

Try TMPGenc:
Freeware version (MPEG1 only) is here: http://www.tmpgenc.net/
Trialware version (MPEG1&2) is here: http://www.pegasys-inc.com/
HTH
--
Rob

tmpg and make sure u get your field order right....thats causing your
artifacts!

On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:11:26 +0100, "Ginchy" <whicanibe@now.com>
wrote:

>tmpg and make sure u get your field order right....thats causing your
>artifacts!

Can you explain this, please?

I think Cinema Craft Encoder has a 'lite' version which costs about $60. I
haven't seen it in action but I've used the trial version of the pro version
and it's the best quality MPEG2 encoder I've seen. TMPG is quite good too.

Analogue video normally uses Field Order A and Digital uses Field B

In tmpg under settings and advanced you will see the option to set this and
IIRC the default is "B"

If your footage is analogue captured then it will produce a lower quality,
jerky, and messy in any video dissolves if you leave it set at B.

Now it is not ALWAYS the case that analogue is A and digital is B but in
about 90% of cases this is correct.

What I do know is that setting this wrong does indeed produce the type of
artifacts you describe so if it doesnt look good at field b change it to
field a.