Google China Uncensors Tiananmen Square Info

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Brent_NC

Distinguished
Feb 2, 2010
10 to 1 Google will shortly announce that their servers were hacked by someone at a Chinese University, which caused the results to start suddenly appearing. I will LMAO.

G

Not even the government, some people still think this kind of information shouldn't distribute freely. I dun know what is the percentage, but was told couple years ago, 70~80% is still not well educated and do not understand what is right or wrong. Just like a bunch of drunk people doing stupid things without knowing what they are actually doing.
Hope there wouldn't be riot or missing people.

forrestsun

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2009
People, that picture isn't google.cn, it is google.com (well probably accessed from within China). It has always been that. I had even tried with a remote computer in China. When accessing google.com in China, those results have always been there. Not something new...

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
well i guess China is going to become even more militant with the internet. Or maybe Chinese citizens will read about this formerly censored info and try and get more freedoms

G

If this is indeed the case, then I guess the Google execs who made the decision really feel very secure in their safe haven within the USA. Pity the poor Google employees in China though who will feel the brunt of the dragon's wrath.

G

Holy crap this is big news. My Prediction: China is going to send in their ninjas. Google pirates will most likely have to jump ship. Oh well, guess I'm just going to have to wait to find out...

Bolbi

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2009
[citation][nom]forrestsun[/nom]People, that picture isn't google.cn, it is google.com (well probably accessed from within China). It has always been that. I had even tried with a remote computer in China. When accessing google.com in China, those results have always been there. Not something new...[/citation]
[citation][nom]still_censored[/nom]www.google.cn, the results are still censored there[/citation]
Really? I just tried searching google.cn's images section for "tank man", and I got those images.

kelemvor4

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Danielw719[/nom]Can a country declare war on a company? We will soon find out![/citation]

No but they can seize any of google's in country assets and arrest/punish in country employees. Google knew they were going down for breaking the law and is just trying to salvage pr in the rest of the world as best they can.

thegreathuntingdolphin

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2009
As happy as I am about Google finally "maning up", I don't think this will have any real affect on China. The Chinese government censors and changes stuff all the time. They will claim this is made up, "prove" to the gullible Chinese people it is, and life will go back to normal.

I used to have a roommate from China. He was a PhD student who had been in the US for a couple of years. He refused to believe anything was bad with the Chinese government; in fact, he spoke of them as if the government was his loving parents that did no wrong. Even with all the proof of the Tiananmen Square massacre, he thought it was all made up and that "the Government would never have allowed that massacre to happen!"

G

this is obviously fake news. google has stated it wanted to stay in china for their other business, now if they stop censoring their results. I don't think China would allow them to continue with that plan. This is obviously an attempt by google supporters to help them save face by fabricating some fake news that google said put a thumb in China's face.

korsen

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2006
[citation][nom]thegreathuntingdolphin[/nom]As happy as I am about Google finally "maning up", I don't think this will have any real affect on China. The Chinese government censors and changes stuff all the time. They will claim this is made up, "prove" to the gullible Chinese people it is, and life will go back to normal.I used to have a roommate from China. He was a PhD student who had been in the US for a couple of years. He refused to believe anything was bad with the Chinese government; in fact, he spoke of them as if the government was his loving parents that did no wrong. Even with all the proof of the Tiananmen Square massacre, he thought it was all made up and that "the Government would never have allowed that massacre to happen!"[/citation]

Take him to a library. Show him the endless videos, books, internet articles, DVD's, posters, and so on. Why would a bunch of people make all that crap for no reason? There's no Tiananmen Square video game and there's no box office movie... I bet there's a mind-control chip though because anyone with a sack of free spirit can go "I cannot see the wind but I can feel it"

tacoslave

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2009
[citation][nom]hollowtek[/nom]Holy crap this is big news. My Prediction: China is going to send in their ninjas. Google pirates will most likely have to jump ship. Oh well, guess I'm just going to have to wait to find out...[/citation]
i know your joking and all but ninjas are Japanese...

G

Come on, ninjas are in Japan.
If Google quit, Baidu will be very happy.

G

'JohnnyLucky
I wonder why Google denies that it has changed anything yet.'

cause as someone previously posted, google just got hacked by a chinese university and had their filters removed .........

belardo

Splendid
Nov 23, 2008
[citation][nom]hollowtek[/nom]Holy crap this is big news. My Prediction: China is going to send in their ninjas. Google pirates will most likely have to jump ship. Oh well, guess I'm just going to have to wait to find out...[/citation]

Japanese have Ninjas. Its a Japanese word. But they may send in Drunken master or some tanks.

This is why ACCURATE history and NEWS is important and is beyond opinions.

G

The funny thing is that Google alway thinks he is somebody. Is there any possibility that an offical UN regime will give in and negotiate with some kind of hinternational company with his internal law issue? I suppose the chinese government will not even answer google's call directly. Just let google play alone on the stage. Are google trying to call a revolution with this even in China? So far, i did not see any sign of rising up in China. Everyone is busying to make their lives better. Google? who cares? I do not think we can see any kind of demenstration waves in China like in Iran or Thailand. The people answering the call of google are mostly some young students (not all of them) and city white-collar employees who depends on google. Are there much of them? 1,000 people, 10,000 people, 1 million, 10 million? Is 100 million the majority compares to 1.4 billion? So, after the an easy democratic calculation, i would say:"fareware google".

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
[citation][nom]Belardo[/nom]Japanese have Ninjas. Its a Japanese word. But they may send in Drunken master or some tanks.This is why ACCURATE history and NEWS is important and is beyond opinions.[/citation]Watch out for those Chinese Ninja's!

Status
Not open for further replies.