Question Google chrome crashes with over 200 tabs open, do I need more RAM?

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
I'm running an i5-8400 with 16 gigs or RAM and EVO970 NVME, windows 10

When I open over 200 tabs in chrome, it crashes, my RAM displays 100% with Xmeters when this happens.

So obviously running out of RAM.

But why doesn't Chrome dip into pagefile and crashes?

Should I buy more RAM, 16 more? 48 More?

Will buying more RAM prevent chrome from crashing, the tasks and workflow I do requires about 500 tabs

Thanks

Yeah, I'm sure that's what he's doing. If he was running 32 virtual desktops, we wouldn't be having a conversation about whether or not 16GB of RAM was sufficient in the first place, or if we were, the first reply would be "are you insane? How do you expect to run 32 virtual desktops on 16GB of RAM?". You know what I mean?

Plus, browser "iterations" and tabs, ain't exactly feathers from the same bird.

USAFRet

Titan
Firefox, 216 tabs open, + 30 tabs open in another browser instance.
0s1D40o.jpg

RAM usage, in 32GB
XQivEjq.jpg

There are multiple other things sucking up that RAM, incl 4GB dedicated to a win 10 VM.

What is your actual RAM usage when/if it crashes?

Navigating that several hundred browser tabs is all up to you.

USAFRet

Titan
Adding more, Firefox crashed the second instance somewhere between 350 and 400 tabs.
It recovered the primary instance with the original 30 tabs open. Which I'm using right now.

The 32GB RAM never maxed out.
If I had not added the additional 200 tabs in batches of 10, and gone slower, it probably would not have crashed.

And nothing else in the system crashed.
The Win 10 which is currently auto running a browser game, the 5x Excel instances, TeamViewer, various other open things.

QwerkyPengwen

Splendid
Ambassador
Tell you what, why don't you tell us what it is that is supposedly forcing you to have to open up 500 tabs in Chrome, and we can assess if RAM is the issue or if there is a better way to help you that doesn't require you spending money on more hardware.

Sound good?

Yeah, I guess I didn't even get that far in reading the OP. I guess I didn't see much reason to when the first three lines told me pretty much everything I needed to know initially.

I agree, because so far, nobody has been able to posit a legitimate argument for needing anything from 100 tabs and up in all the threads like this we've seen before. If there's a legitimate reason, I'd want to know the use case as well because so far there's never been anything even approaching legitimate need for that.

USAFRet

Titan
One guy long ago did mention something about "mumble mumble day trading"
Wasn't very clear on it.

OK, fine. If you're day trading to that level of complexity, invest a bit in your infrastructure, and spread the load across several desktops.
Instead of trying to cram all that into a single browser instance.

Flouro Flibboflasm

Commendable
Feb 23, 2017
Hold on! At this very moment I am down to 755 tabs with the goal of shrinking 50 a day. Some days I go over, some days they grow.

For the things I do it IS necessary and yes, it overflows. On many days I just can't get to enough of them and simply run out of time! It would take way way way too long to explain what I am doing with all of them and why.... Some other day...

Having said all of that there is an alternative for the OP: Run a single threaded browser instead. Chrome may be the biggest browser- and they did a masterful job of extinguishing the competition- but it isn't the best. It' isn't even close.

Try running Pale Moon. Not only is it single threaded- which means you could run thousands of tabs if you so chose. The trend is for browsers to be Chrome clones and go multi-threaded and bye-bye system resources!

Now, as indicated above, not all tabs are created equally and some of the most heavy ones currently are YouTube- even with HTML5 toggled on/off.

It is possible to lighten many page loads by toggling things like scripts, XSS, plugins(such as Flash, Java..), cookies... When Flash was more of a thing I regularly lightened the load by about 25% just by shutting it off.

Why has nobody heard of Pale Moon? The #1 problem with it is it's developers. Wow can they program! Their personalities...? IMO a totally different kind of WOW!

Anybody who has ever watched Shark Tank will get this one. Sometimes somebody creates something new and wonderful. Then the more they speak the more it becomes obvious that as long as the creator is in charge the product is doomed.

When you think of PM think of what Firefox used to be. If you want to go truly open source and not a lousy Chrome clone go with it.

Reactions: Satearn

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
I just noticed these replies!

Ok, I have a custom CRM , and I scrappe Yellowpages listings for prospecting.

I look for defective sites and numerous other parameters, some are non responsive, others have multiple issues, I open 200-500 websites, and then I sort through the list by hand, with CTRL TAB, CTRL W sequence, that's for the manual checking.

For other tasks, like checking what framework is used, I open the 500 sites on another virtual desktop in a virtual machine, once they are all open I run a macro tab, by tab.

But actually I increased my pagefile today, and it seems to work now, may not have to get new RAM for a while, but seems that what USAFRet says about using 22 Gigs for 200 tabs is about right.

I think 16 GIGS covers about 150 tabs or so.

Since I have an NVME (970 EVO+) , increasing the pagefile seems it fixed it...does that make any sense?

I heard NVME come close to RAM speed now?

Satearn

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2015
Hold on! At this very moment I am down to 755 tabs with the goal of shrinking 50 a day. Some days I go over, some days they grow.

For the things I do it IS necessary and yes, it overflows. On many days I just can't get to enough of them and simply run out of time! It would take way way way too long to explain what I am doing with all of them and why.... Some other day...

Having said all of that there is an alternative for the OP: Run a single threaded browser instead. Chrome may be the biggest browser- and they did a masterful job of extinguishing the competition- but it isn't the best. It' isn't even close.

Try running Pale Moon. Not only is it single threaded- which means you could run thousands of tabs if you so chose. The trend is for browsers to be Chrome clones and go multi-threaded and bye-bye system resources!

Now, as indicated above, not all tabs are created equally and some of the most heavy ones currently are YouTube- even with HTML5 toggled on/off.

It is possible to lighten many page loads by toggling things like scripts, XSS, plugins(such as Flash, Java..), cookies... When Flash was more of a thing I regularly lightened the load by about 25% just by shutting it off.

Why has nobody heard of Pale Moon? The #1 problem with it is it's developers. Wow can they program! Their personalities...? IMO a totally different kind of WOW!

Anybody who has ever watched Shark Tank will get this one. Sometimes somebody creates something new and wonderful. Then the more they speak the more it becomes obvious that as long as the creator is in charge the product is doomed.

When you think of PM think of what Firefox used to be. If you want to go truly open source and not a lousy Chrome clone go with it.
Thanks man, checking palemoon out now ;)