Google Chrome OS Netbooks to be $300 to $400

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

victomofreality

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
[citation][nom]mianmian[/nom]Maybe not. Google can collect money in other ways. Such like google account upgrade, payed services.. cloud computing fee.....[/citation]

Exactly and thats not even looking at the cash they'll get for selling you the hardware devices that run Chrome OS. While the netbooks won't have a software tax on them you know theres still going to be a piece of the pie that goes to them.

gsacks

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2008
Do the masses understand that Chrome is a Linux OS heavily dependent on "cloud" computing? At least that is what it was started as.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
Wouldn't these things cost just as much as a fully featured Windows Netbook? and with Chrome OS, it's nothing but cloud computing... it doesn't sound like a good deal.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009

FYI i read the article and followed the links and that quote there doesnt mean its free. Generally there is no hardware costs to create software so of course that "tax" isnt there.

kronos_cornelius

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
[citation][nom]triculious[/nom]no... this time it's a good question...how many games will I be able to run without any hassle?I don't want to have to run this app, which in turn enables this other one which emulates windows (or runs windows under this OS) in order to be able to play a game... an actual game, not solitaire or facebook gamesmost probably that's out of the question given that they intend to use the OS for netbooks, so I think it should handle net surfing and video reproduction as it's most amazing features[/citation]

It will probably support flash games at best, but gaming is not the main audience for the devices. Windows 7 is great right now (for gaming), so I would not change it even if there was another option. I use Linux for any other task, so in that sense, I already have the promising OS.

Status
Not open for further replies.