Google Chrome OS Netbooks to be $300 to $400

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckmanx88

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
[citation][nom]zoemayne[/nom]So is the OS free!?[/citation]

"but in our case Chrome OS and Android are free so there is no software tax associated with all of this."

FFS read the entire article.

cryogenic

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2006
I like the idea of Chrome OS, but my biggest fear is that overtime it will turn in a advertisement supported OS, even if this will not be the case at first. Google will want to eventually make money from Chrome and they are in the advertisement business, so 2 + 2 ...

christopherknapp

Distinguished
May 8, 2009
I am really looking forward to this promising alternative. I currently use a Mac with OSX and Windows 7, a PC with Windows 7 and Ubuntu, and am looking to purchase a netbook in the next 6 months. This could possibly it.

Provided the development stages of both in-house and third parties is up to par, I will not hesitate to pick one up. I could stand to lose my Macbook Pro.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
"Google, with Chrome OS, plans to move into the operating system in a bigger way that its Android software is taking over smartphones not called the iPhone. "

This is a terrible use of the English language. I'm still not sure what it means, but in any case, it's very awkward, if it's even grammatically correct. I can't tell, I get dizzy every time I read it.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]I like the idea of Chrome OS, but my biggest fear is that overtime it will turn in a advertisement supported OS...[/citation]
I don't think it will have to. Mainly, because the internet as it stands already is[heavily add-supported]. Chrome OS will just advocate Google's existing and future products. Unless I'm wrong, the OS will mostly be like tabbed browsing, encouraging the use of web-based apps...directly or indirectly facilitating more internet traffic and more google ad impressions/clicks/etc. *shrugs*

agnickolov

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2006
[citation]so we want, of course, to eat our own dogfood, which is how we sit here and build things. …[/citation]
[citation]Schmidt, you're hilarious. Why can't there be more CEO's with a sense of humor like this?[/citation]

While probably not the first to use it, Microsoft made that phrase popular a long time ago...

mianmian

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2009
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]I like the idea of Chrome OS, but my biggest fear is that overtime it will turn in a advertisement supported OS, even if this will not be the case at first. Google will want to eventually make money from Chrome and they are in the advertisement business, so 2 + 2 ...[/citation]
Maybe not. Google can collect money in other ways. Such like google account upgrade, payed services.. cloud computing fee.....

bonezy

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Wait, current netbooks (with paid Windows) are already $300-400. Aren't the manufacturers just making an extra $50-$100 profit from selling Chrome netbooks at the same price point?

ptroen

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
I'm sorry I don't see how this will be promising alternative. It is a alternative yes but comeon you know it will be ad ridden. And what about program compatibility? I don't know I think Reactos project should get more attention.

triculious

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
[citation][nom]Kohlhagen[/nom]But can it run... you know what.[/citation]
no... this time it's a good question...
how many games will I be able to run without any hassle?

I don't want to have to run this app, which in turn enables this other one which emulates windows (or runs windows under this OS) in order to be able to play a game... an actual game, not solitaire or facebook games

most probably that's out of the question given that they intend to use the OS for netbooks, so I think it should handle net surfing and video reproduction as it's most amazing features

WheelsOfConfusion

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2008
[citation][nom]lashabane[/nom]Schmidt, you're hilarious. Why can't there be more CEO's with a sense of humor like this?[/citation]
It's actually a common saying in tech, it means using the same technology and software that you're selling to everyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS