Google Explains Lack of SD Card Support For Nexus Devices

Status
Not open for further replies.

tramit

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
Poor excuse, at least give the phones larger standard capacities if you are going to omit the SD card. 16gb should be the base version at the very least.

pyoverdin

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2011
Someone contact Matias and tell him to google 'How to use SD cards' and 'techy nonsense'. He might come up if you search the second one.

blader15sk8

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
I feel another reason Apple and Google leave out the option is because people buy these cheap class 2 cards off Amazon or Ebay that are barely even class 2 speeds that degrade the overall performance of the device. It's not a very good user experience if the photos stored locally on your phone take a while to load while you scroll through them.

G

No Google. It's NOT too confusing. It means my phone is more future-proof, and this is pretty much the only reason I'm not buying any Nexus devices. They're starting to sound like Apple, which is rather disappointing.

mayankleoboy1

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2010
[citation][nom]blader15sk8[/nom]I feel another reason Apple and Google leave out the option is because people buy these cheap class 2 cards off Amazon or Ebay that are barely even class 2 speeds that degrade the overall performance of the device. It's not a very good user experience if the photos stored locally on your phone take a while to load while you scroll through them.[/citation]

+1

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
How do you back up the content of the tablet?
How do I move photos, videos or audio files back and forth ?
How do you unload stuff when you are on a trip and you filled up
the memory with pics and vids of the sight seeing trip or the recording of a business seminar?

Sorry, but without any means of external storage my wallet stays in my back pocket.

G

And while we're at it, let's just replace math classes with a calculator.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]blader15sk8[/nom]I feel another reason Apple and Google leave out the option is because people buy these cheap class 2 cards off Amazon or Ebay that are barely even class 2 speeds that degrade the overall performance of the device. It's not a very good user experience if the photos stored locally on your phone take a while to load while you scroll through them.[/citation]

Windows xp warns me of degraded flash drive performance when I plug a USB 1.1 into a USB 2.0 port. Why can't Google do the same?

Apple? You really think they want some users upgrading their iPads' storage capacity cheaply?

hiryu

Distinguished
May 4, 2009
[citation]"If you're saving photos, videos or music, where does it go? Is it on your phone? Or on your card? [/citation]
Of course, I will save photos, videos on the card. It is easier to manage the data stored on the card. I don't need to restore the data after the reset or changing the phone.
Also, tit is more likely and easier to of retrieving the data if the phone is crushed or broken when the data is stored on the card.
If I buy the card with large capacity e.g. 32GB and it's not expensive nowaday, I hardly need to take the card out.

webbwbb

Distinguished
Aug 18, 2009
It seems a better approach would be to get rid of user-accessable internal storage and make each device come with an SD card so you don't have to worry about the locations of files but you have the freedom to upgrade.

Marco925

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2008
If they think Phones and tablets will replace the Desktop and Laptop, they're sorely mistaken if they continue to be dependent on PCs if they are limited in their inputs and outputs.

halcyon

Splendid
Its just an excuse for them to cut costs and charge whatever they want for memory. I'd be hard pressed to buy an Android tablet without expandable memory as long as the option exists.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
No, it doesn't degrade the overall performance of the device, it merely takes longer to access the SD card.

But what's worse, taking longer to access photos/music/other files or not have the space for any of them to begin with? Sorry, but bad excuse is still a bad excuse.

rdc85

Honorable
"...., but in reality it's just confusing for users"

LOL, if it confusing... why not make the OS that will simplify it for your "average" consumer...

No, google. U must resist... Don't go to dark side...

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
I'd be more impressed if they came out and said they didn't wish to undercut other Android partners devices that have the SD card slot or even just said they wanted to give people a compelling reason to buy a 16GB or 32GB device rather than the 8GB and throwing in a 64GB SD card. At least that would be honest.

But what Google has just done is call people idiots by insinuating that keeping track of what's on an SD card is somehow complicated and troublesome. Thank you for giving me another reason to give Windows Phone 8 serious consideration.

Status
Not open for further replies.