Google Finally Reveals The Nexus Player, Its Micro Console/Set-Top Box

Status
Not open for further replies.

InvalidError

Titan

It is not an oversight: Google has been going out of their way to eliminate external storage because it allegedly made things "too confusing" for the normal user who does not know what got stored where.

Google even rips out native external storage support from their home-branded products to prevent people from using USB storage. If you want external storage on Google-branded devices, you need to either install an AOSP build or use aftermarket utilities. They also ripped out the ability to run apps from removable storage.

The lack of expandable local storage on Google's device is entirely intentional and Google has been doing it for years.

bebangs

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
8gb/16gb for a powerful device is a cruel joke and not having a 64gb version is more insulting.

Shame on me for still wanting to buy this for xmas.

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Ok, the difference in cost between a 8GB or 16GB SD card is a few dollars, and the point of a device like the Nexus Player is to consume entertainment content which generally has the highest storage requirements. I know google expects us to stream video, but many larger android games require installed content. This was just bad planning plain and simple.

If google was smart, they should have pushed it up to 32GB and then took a hit on the cost and sold the unit for $50. They might have lost some money, but they would have built the eco-system around this product very quickly.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I understanding needing more space for HD gaming, but do people still actually copy movies over to these things? If you really wanted extra space, you could buy a micro-USB to USB connector and plug in an external HD, or simple flash drive.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012
Usually I'm unfazed by Google's hatred of external storage, but you can't position something as a gaming console to the extent of selling a dedicated gaming controller and then only offer 16GB with no expandability. Dead Trigger 2 alone is half a gig for the initial install. I'll never game on this so I might buy it anyway, but this definitely points to being an oversight.

InvalidError

Titan

If the Nexus player is like Google's other Nexus-branded devices, it does not support USB storage with stock firmware and that makes adding external storage far less convenient - you need 3rd-party firmware or apps to add USB storage support back in.

rwinches

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2006
1 GB Memory - no
8 GB Storage - no
Even if it had an SD slot games would not run from the SD card.
You can bet this is where Intel dumped a load of Atom CPUs

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
if it were 32 gigs I would be buying one... but 8 gigs, is this 2006? I woudl love to play one of the best games for android X-com I have it on my nexus 5, and PC through steam but might be fun to have installed there too and play sometimes btu its a 4+ gig game so after operating system thats almost all the space. I wonder if it will have a micro usb port at least? if so maybe I could see buying one if it supported OTG but sometimes apps cannot be installed there either.

Another thought is this... the SD memory if faster than a HDD, but a HDD could hold much mroe data, one of the main reasons for no HDD in portable devices is that they will be moved around alot, would it have been to hard to put a laptop style HDD in one of these for 100+ gigs, that I woudl buy!

cirdecus

Distinguished
As cool as it is, 8GB is way too low and i'm very surprised. If they released a phone with 8GB of memory and no expandable storage people would be screaming. I wonder if they're shooting for the Apple model and ruling out external storage all together to simplify the device?

If that's the case, they better find a way to fit 128GB of storage in that thing, considering Apple was able to do it with a phone.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
I'm good with my new $80 RK3288 tv box. 8GB storage isn't a problem if you have a clue how to use a tv box properly. But 2GB of RAM is a must for me.

G

A lot (most?) Android games require touching the screen, or moving the phone. How is that going to work? I don't know many Android games that work with a controller.

Still, I'm pretty sure I'm going to buy it.

burkhartmj

Honorable
Aug 31, 2012

It's supported in the AOSP code, but Google has an annoying habit of removing it from their Nexus devices so you have to root and use StickMount to get the functionality. Since no one has this yet it's up in the air as to whether that policy will extend to this. Unless you saw something we haven't listing it as capable?

Pretty sure OUYA nailed OUYA's coffin.

Rapajez

Distinguished

That's great for media, but again, you can get all that from a $30 ChromeCast.

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
8 GB of internal storage with no sd card slot. Why is no one bashing google for how laughable they are handling storage. That makes this whole device a joke.

boytitan2

Honorable
Oct 16, 2012
Good job google you made a over sized chromecast. With a cpu it will never fully take advantage of since the other hardware lags behind the cpu, that can fit like 2 wholes games on it. 4 if you get the 16 gig version.

Status
Not open for further replies.