Google Gives HP Printers Own Email Addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

horatio b

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Absolutely! I can print things on the road and tell my wife(who is not so tech savvy) it's on the printer. My only concern however is what if someone accidentally e-mails my printer a 500 pages?

tashfeenmajid

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
It would definitely be interesting.

But the only thing I am concerned about is, my printer printing all those Nigeria bank account hoax and enlarge your penis junk mails sent to it.

G

@No more HP's for me. All printers rip you off on the ink no matter what brand it is. That is exactly why you just refill your ink so you can reuse the cartridge. Refill it is when it's about half full. I have refilled my HP ink cartridge over 10 times already and have had no problems with it.

zoemayne

Distinguished
Aug 2, 2009
[citation][nom]timorang[/nom]@No more HP's for me. All printers rip you off on the ink no matter what brand it is. That is exactly why you just refill your ink so you can reuse the cartridge. Refill it is when it's about half full. I have refilled my HP ink cartridge over 10 times already and have had no problems with it.[/citation] If you do a little research youll see that monochrome printer can print 12000 pages from a $70 cartridge/drum....... ie on new egg the "brother DR360 Drum Unit"

likebutter

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
It's not a bad idea. Your documents "emails" would be stored in Gmail(in the cloud). The printer downloads the document only if the user decides to print it. It's the next evolutionary step in faxing! And to think it only took 20 years! LOL I blog about this on my site http://avillacampa.homeserver.com/blog/

edwilson

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2007
this would be cool for about 5 minutes until some stupid spammer sends 100 pages to your printer and depletes all your comsumables.

G

spam can be countered easily in this situation ie require a password to print. spamming wont be a prob.

dthx

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
This feature has been around in all kyocera network printers for approximately 5 years! (pop3 printing).
What impresses me with HP devices is the insane consumables oriented business model (why do people still buy this crap?), not the features !

arges86

Distinguished
seems like someone could easily spam your printer w/ adds, or photos that take up allot of ink and resources. I hope there would be some way to filter content to it, or approve every file before its printed

theuerkorn

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Good idea, i.e. for my mom or someone without a computer. (Of course why then would she have internet.) "Can you send me some new pics of the kids?", "Sure thing, coming right up!". Sounds good to me. BUT, I agree with the spam concern. Hope Google has some for of filter to let only the e-mails pass you want to or else HP is going to be giddy over revamped ink sales based on junk mail alone.

Regulas

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
[citation][nom]tashfeenmajid[/nom]It would definitely be interesting. But the only thing I am concerned about is, my printer printing all those Nigeria bank account hoax and enlarge your penis junk mails sent to it.From what I see it uses Gmail. I have been using Gmail for years and it has the best SPAM filter I have ever used.[/citation]
From what I see it uses Gmail. I have been using Gmail for years and it has the best SPAM filter I have ever used.

Status
Not open for further replies.