Google Implements a Calculator in Searches

Status
Not open for further replies.

cee2cee

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2012
[citation][nom]ddpruitt[/nom]Way to do research there.Google has had a calculator for years. I know cause I used it many a time. Only difference now is that it has a keypad.[/citation]

You don't get it, the keypad is exactly why it's news.

[citation][nom]freggo[/nom]Actually you could just type an equation or conversion in to the search bar and get a result. That worked for years.[/citation]

Yes, but this might be very slightly more convenient for what is included in the calculator.

G

I think I'll continue to use Wolfram Alpha. Thanks, but no thanks.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Off topic a little:
One of the things that has always driven me crazy is how the standard windows calculator will give different results than the scientific calculator. This is is because the simple calculator ignores the order of operations. If you enter the following calculation in both calculators, you get different results:

3+2*4= results in 11 for scientific calculator.
3+2*4= results in 20 for standard calculator.

Drives me crazy that such a thing should be allowed to occur!

teh_chem

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

Why? A standard calculator doesn't have real-time memory for storing an input. You can't expect a standard calculator to consider order of operations because it calculates the operation immediately, without the knowledge of what comes next. Is it really too much to ask that the users applies the knowledge of order of operations?

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ben850[/nom]I will find it hard to deviate from: Windows+R, "calc"[/citation]
To save an additional keystroke you could do Windows Key "calc" as it is the first search result
Also, "Run" has been integrated into the search box, so you can add command line arguments/switches

Status
Not open for further replies.