Google, Microsoft, Facebook, Amazon, And IBM Create AI Consortium; What Does It Mean?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PC-Cobbler

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2015
The author hit most of the important issues. One he missed is that their AI will resemble Silicon Valley residents similar to how the Google Car only knows how to drive in mostly-sunny California. We should have broken-up Amazon, Google, Facebook, Microsoft, and a few other companies under anti-trust statutes long ago.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
Conspiracy theorists love consortia like these. But the truth is that these types of organizations are pretty open, since they're really about sharing. The nefarious uses of AI will likely happen not as a partnership, but as an internal project within these or other entities.

And while I worry about the threat that Google, FB, MS, Amazon, etc. pose to my privacy, I'm more concerned about the military uses of AI for my safety. There's already a DARPA challenge to build a hackbot, and I consider autonomous battlefield robots an inevitability.

Beholder88

Honorable
Oct 14, 2013
When I see companies like those mentioned here the one thing I think of is money. I can't help but wonder if they don't have individual goals of using this technology to make money. Be it within their respective websites/social networks or gaming platforms or whatever. I like the OpenAI idea better, where everything is open source and completely non-profit.

Status
Not open for further replies.