Google Nexus 4 Sells Out in Minutes

Status
Not open for further replies.

GabZDK

Honorable
Aug 12, 2012
Well, good for Google gaining into the handsets market besides Android. Maybe one day we will see Google making there own phones without intermediaries like LG or Samsung, just maybe

Still don't like the decision of no SD in there though

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
Awesome. I'm looking forward to getting this phone, but wasn't planning on buying on day one. I'm hoping Google will bundle a Play giftcard in the next month or so like they did with the Nexus 7. $350 (off-contract) is a good deal already.

And I can't remember Zak writing such an "enthusiastic" article about anything yet. I guess he didn't read anything about the Nexus 4, since he can only say "was commended for its $299 starting price"...
Not to mention the Nexus 10 tablet... yeah, the one with the best screen in the world. He dropped it like a hot potato in the last half of the last sentence.
Lame reporting from a biased reporter.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Couldn't order it, and I doubt it will be available in any serious quantities for months, if ever. LG is selling it to brick and mortar retailers for like $600 so that would imply Google is subsidizing a big chunk of the cost, meaning they're unlikely to be able to sell millions at $299.

G

It didn't sell out in minutes. There is something wrong with the Play checkout system

I ordered one after about 4 hours, randomly hitting reload.

masterasia

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2009
I gots mine. You have refresh the screen until it comes back in stock . Did it for about 15 minutes and was able to get one and a bumper. Can't wait to unbox it.

khha4113

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]It's a last gen device as far as I'm concerned with no LTE. Even the iPhone has it now.[/citation]
Can "the iPhone" sell at this cheap price and unlocked? Don't think so!

[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]With no LTE it's already obsolete.[/citation]
[citation][nom]otacon72[/nom]It's a last gen device as far as I'm concerned with no LTE. Even the iPhone has it now.[/citation]
Yeah, with the fastest CPU available on a phone, best screen around and 2GB RAM, suuuure it's obsolete.
Why post twice for the same comment? There are plenty of people that have noticed the lack of LTE radio and there are also reasons for that, also made available by Google for those that like to keep informed. Also, there have been tests ran with the 42Mbs HSDPA that made LTE almost irrelevant. The difference of a few ms shaved off by the LTE when loading a page is more than nullified by the inconvenience of having to build a few different models of the same phone for different LTE networks (because there are no truly universal LTE phones out there, not even the iPhone you mentioned). The LTE bands are so divided, it was not really worth the effort and the expense at this time, and Google made a brilliant move here, which was to make ONE device globally available on frequencies that are used worldwide.
Besides, the device if GSM, made for the majority of the world users, and not only for the Verizon LTE market. Could this be followed by a CDMA/LTE variant? It could, but Google wanted to show the networks the middle finger by letting the world buy unlocked phones and putting them on pre-paid plans.
And all that for an unbeatable price.
If anything, this is how the future should look like, with the consumer in charge of their devices, not the greedy networks, and this is the beginning of it.
Obsolete? ha! Think again.

whiteodian

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2010
I'm more bothered by the lack of an FM tuner than LTE. I'm on a pay as you go so LTE isn't available yet. I will get HSPA+ so that is an upgrade over my iPhone 3G's speed. I can understand people's disappointment in their choice to not include LTE, but not to the point that they want to waste their time and whine about it in forums. If its not the phone for you, go buy $600-700 device or sign up for an expensive 2-year contract.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Just get a $600 phone if you want LTE. All the LTE networks have anemic data plans and charge for overage so you're just getting yourself to the cap faster. Doesn't matter how fast you can run a mile when the only track provided for you is a few yards long.

Lack of microSD is however regrettable. Any mobile device these days should have an HDMI, USB, and microSD slot as a general rule. I really wouldn't even mind paying Google for their streaming services, except again limited by the bandwidth caps. People are trapped in an era where offline storage is a necessity. Cloud dependence will never happen with these shackles on data plans.

jerm1027

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I'm a bit puzzled about the complaints on the lack of FM radio. Maybe it's because radio just sucks in my area... Internet radio is much better imo. What concerns me most is the lack of expandable storage. I have a growing music collection and 16GB isn't going to cut it. I can forgive the lack of LTE, I can forgive lack of FM radio (less radios, less power consumption), I can even forgive the lack of user-replaceable battery, but why no expandable storage!? There is no reason not to include this. The almost perfect phone... );

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
[citation][nom]Thomas Creel[/nom]$300 for a phone!?! Hardly sounds like a "Great Deal", I'll stick with my retarded phone that takes calls.[/citation]

And can do nothing else.

neuromancer2701

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
This is the future and will really open up completion between cell phone companies and carriers. Sadly(or encouraging) it will take about 18-24 for an LTE version to be on the market. Verizon will be finished with the LTE rollout by mid 2013 and will implement VoLTE by mid 2014. Once phones don't have to have CDMA radio, Verizon can't block user and cell phone makers from attaching any phone to the network. Part of the requirements when they got the spectrum. A true world LTE radio will probably be ready by then as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.