Google Only Site to Surpass 100 Million Unique Visitors

Status
Not open for further replies.

calguyhunk

Distinguished
Jul 6, 2010
@ catbus - They didn't. There are so many of those sites, that no particular one would have this much traffic ;)

Google enjoys virtual monopoly in a not-so well-contested category (search). Adult sites however are a dime a dozen and no site commands anywhere like the same following as Google does among net users in general IMO.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
I find these numbers to be extremely low. I understand that this is simply counting the month of September alone and not a all-time thing. But with sites like Facebook which have 1 billion registered users this would be a massive majority of users no longer using at all not even once a month.

The 179,411,000 visitors number given must be not all unique themselves given that the article claims "Google Only Site to Surpass 100 Million Unique Visitors" We all know those people who check Facebook several times a day on several devices just one of these people could easily add up to 100 visits into that number for the month. It's just impossibly low, with the mix of the billion registered users and fanatics that almost live on it. If they hit less than 100 million unique this means less than 1 out of 10 members use the site and those that do use it averagely sign in once a month.

I'm not trying to glorify or defend Facebook in anyway I don't even have a account. But clearly these numbers are quite off.

wemakeourfuture

Distinguished
Dec 20, 2011
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I find these numbers to be extremely low. I understand that this is simply counting the month of September alone and not a all-time thing. But with sites like Facebook which have 1 billion registered users this would be a massive majority of users no longer using at all not even once a month.The 179,411,000 visitors number given must be not all unique themselves given that the article claims "Google Only Site to Surpass 100 Million Unique Visitors" We all know those people who check Facebook several times a day on several devices just one of these people could easily add up to 100 visits into that number for the month. It's just impossibly low, with the mix of the billion registered users and fanatics that almost live on it. If they hit less than 100 million unique this means less than 1 out of 10 members use the site and those that do use it averagely sign in once a month.I'm not trying to glorify or defend Facebook in anyway I don't even have a account. But clearly these numbers are quite off.[/citation]

They're numbers for United States of America, not global.

bentonsl_2010

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2010
[citation][nom]NuclearShadow[/nom]I find these numbers to be extremely low. I understand that this is simply counting the month of September alone and not a all-time thing. But with sites like Facebook which have 1 billion registered users this would be a massive majority of users no longer using at all not even once a month.The 179,411,000 visitors number given must be not all unique themselves given that the article claims "Google Only Site to Surpass 100 Million Unique Visitors" We all know those people who check Facebook several times a day on several devices just one of these people could easily add up to 100 visits into that number for the month. It's just impossibly low, with the mix of the billion registered users and fanatics that almost live on it. If they hit less than 100 million unique this means less than 1 out of 10 members use the site and those that do use it averagely sign in once a month.I'm not trying to glorify or defend Facebook in anyway I don't even have a account. But clearly these numbers are quite off.[/citation]

What part of "unique visitors " do you not understand. You can sit there and visit a site 100000 times this month its counts as one.

Also I have 4 Facebook account. A lot of ppl have a least 2. So 1 billion facebook account is not all that hard to come by.

SneakySnake

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2009
[citation][nom]Bentonsl_2010[/nom]What part of "unique visitors " do you not understand. You can sit there and visit a site 100000 times this month its counts as one. Also I have 4 Facebook account. A lot of ppl have a least 2. So 1 billion facebook account is not all that hard to come by.[/citation]

Why do you have 4 facebook accounts?

mman74

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2006
[citation][nom]SneakySnake[/nom]Why do you have 4 facebook accounts?[/citation]

Why do you care he has 4 accounts? A lot of people setup multiple accounts for a good number of reasons. Hobby and political groups, businesses, people who have just setup extra accounts by mistakes, MI6 spies, undercover law enforcement officers, criminals, bygamists or cheating partners, social climbers, Facebook systems developer or tester or maybe, just maybe he just wanted to. What's it to you?

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]mman74[/nom]Why do you care he has 4 accounts? A lot of people setup multiple accounts for a good number of reasons. Hobby and political groups, businesses, people who have just setup extra accounts by mistakes, MI6 spies, undercover law enforcement officers, criminals, bygamists or cheating partners, social climbers, Facebook systems developer or tester or maybe, just maybe he just wanted to. What's it to you?[/citation]

Or they did what I did, have the real facebook account they log into once every few weeks to be able to keep in contact with old friends you don't see anymore. And setup another one to log into sites that have facebook login so you don't have to register for their website.

NuclearShadow

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2007
[citation][nom]Bentonsl_2010[/nom]What part of "unique visitors " do you not understand. You can sit there and visit a site 100000 times this month its counts as one. Also I have 4 Facebook account. A lot of ppl have a least 2. So 1 billion facebook account is not all that hard to come by.[/citation]

If the given Facebook number is unique visitors in that month then the claim of "Google Only Site to Surpass 100 Million " would be incorrect. 179,411,000 is over 179 million after all. Also the article does not state that the Facebook number is unique visitors. But even if you are correct then the research is still flawed as it claims no site passed 100 million other than Google right after the 179 million claim. Your take is much less likely to be correct as that error just would have been way too obvious and no where does it state the Facebook # is unique visits just the third most visited overall.

So now that your claim can be easily passed aside as incorrect lets examine further numbers. 51% of Americans have Facebook. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382638,00.asp America's population is 311 million. This would average 158,610,000 (note this a number below your possible unique visit claim as well further proving you wrong) people with a Facebook account. Given the time period of a entire month even if only half of those people still used Facebook. But at-least signed in a mere 3 times a month it would be 237,915,000 visits. Of course we all know that half of Facebook's population did not leave and people averagely check it more than 3 times a month. The real number of visits should be in the billions. But it goes to show even under severe hypothetical handicaps Facebook still exceeds their extraordinary flawed number.

in_the_loop

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
[citation][nom]nuclearshadow[/nom]If the given Facebook number is unique visitors in that month then the claim of "Google Only Site to Surpass 100 Million " would be incorrect. 179,411,000 is over 179 million after all. Also the article does not state that the Facebook number is unique visitors. But even if you are correct then the research is still flawed as it claims no site passed 100 million other than Google right after the 179 million claim. Your take is much less likely to be correct as that error just would have been way too obvious and no where does it state the Facebook # is unique visits just the third most visited overall.So now that your claim can be easily passed aside as incorrect lets examine further numbers. 51% of Americans have Facebook. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2382638,00.asp America's population is 311 million. This would average 158,610,000 (note this a number below your possible unique visit claim as well further proving you wrong) people with a Facebook account. Given the time period of a entire month even if only half of those people still used Facebook. But at-least signed in a mere 3 times a month it would be 237,915,000 visits. Of course we all know that half of Facebook's population did not leave and people averagely check it more than 3 times a month. The real number of visits should be in the billions. But it goes to show even under severe hypothetical handicaps Facebook still exceeds their extraordinary flawed number.[/citation]
The article doesn't have to repeat the fact that the table from comscore clearly says "Unique visitors". You just have to take a look at that one.

As for the 100 million, the article says "It was the only site to surpass 100 million unique visitors on both desktop and mobile."

By the way, if you add up the mobile and desktop for a specific website, you will get a number that is higher than what comscore says. Google for example have 220 och 127 million users for desktop and mobile, but total is just 235 millions
That means that the users of the same account using different devices will count as 1 unique visitor, not as 2 different.

As said, you can have as many facebook accounts as you want.
I have 4, but haven't used facebook for a month or so. Used it mainly as a chat/infoboard during big sports events like the olympics, soccer world cup and the likes and have to use multiple accounts due to the amount of posts i make locks me out from the account for a day (Fb thinks it is spamming). A lot of users do that.
And there are several othe reasons for it too.
The 1 billion Facebook users is nowhere near the truth of 1 billion unique users every month. Probably a couple of hundred million users for the whole world (which isn't bad anyway).

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
This is impossible. There are roughly 2000 unique people in the United States, and they're in the mental asylums. The rest of us? Not so much.

Status
Not open for further replies.