Google Patent Application Details Cloud Printing Service

Status
Not open for further replies.

lashabane

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2009
I have to be missing something but to me, "cloud" is synonymous with "server".

How is this any different than sending a print job to a computer on a network other than sending it to an IP that's generally different than a network IP?

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Well right now, say you have say a network with 10 computers and 1 printer. Well, you have to install drivers onto each computer to access the printer. Some computers function as nodes that broadcast the driver out, so it makes it easier for future computers to print to the printer. But those computers still require drivers. With this new patented method, I'm guessing it'll be like 1 computer (A) directly connects to the printer, and all the other computers connect to that computer A. When you want to print, you send the job to computer A. Computer A then authenticates that you have permission to print, and relays your print job to the printer. No drivers required for the requesting computers. Drivers are only needed on computer A.

The benefit is that ANY device that can access computer A, can print. Smartphones, tablets, netbooks, etc. Plus, now the printer developer only has to create drivers for computer A, rather than every device out there. Heck, if my Motorola RAZR (that original flip phone) can access computer A, then it too has printing capabilities.

'Least that's my take on it. I could be (and probably am) wrong. :D

G

It feels like they just use an old idea from the Unix world and apply it to microsoft world. Feels stupid that you can get patents in US (and some other countries) on things which has been done for ages and in no way new innovations.

@Benihana:
Just connect a phone to a computer wouldn't give you that capability, you would still need an application on the cellphone. At least my N900 does print nicely, but then it's a true Linux phone and you can have proper applications installed on it.

Dyseman

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
[citation][nom]Google.com[/nom]Google Cloud Print is a new technology that connects your printers to the web. Using Google Cloud Print, you can make your home and work printers available to you and anyone you choose, from the applications you use every day. Google Cloud Print works on your phone, tablet, Chromebook, PC, and any other web-connected device you want to print from.[/citation]

[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]This sounds just like printing over the web...just through a new buzzword called the cloud.[/citation]

Yup. Just makes your printer print jobs from yourself or whoever has proper credentials from over the net. But instead of Printing Over the Web, you must be signed into Google services to use.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]lashabane[/nom]I have to be missing something but to me, "cloud" is synonymous with "server".How is this any different than sending a print job to a computer on a network other than sending it to an IP that's generally different than a network IP?[/citation]
It is, cloud is just another way to say server, it's all marketing. I can print to my home printer from my smartphone right now and from any printer in the world and it has nothing to do with the "cloud".

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
[citation][nom]hanssen_dk2011[/nom]Just connect a phone to a computer wouldn't give you that capability, you would still need an application on the cellphone. At least my N900 does print nicely, but then it's a true Linux phone and you can have proper applications installed on it.[/citation]
Ah, I was trying to simplify it, but I think eddieroolz said it so much easier. By accessing computer A, I was trying to imply through a web-based means. If your phone can access the web sites on the internet, then it should be able to access computer A in theory.

But yeah, eddieroolz said it much better. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.